Search for content in message boards

Amherst County, VA Wrights

Amherst County, VA Wrights

Posted: 2 Mar 2013 7:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 Mar 2013 2:23PM GMT
Surnames: Wright, Dooley
I am searching for any info on my husband's grandfather, Percy Harrison Wright, born in Amherst County in 1897. Sometime before 1920 he started calling himself Jack. He gave his mothers's name as Virginia on his WWII draft card and his father's name as George on his marriage license. Family legend is that his parents were not married, and he was given to another couple to raise. They may have been Wrights, or either of his parents could have been a Wright. He supposedly ran away from his foster family, and another family legend is that they were Dooleys. One of his sons recalls that Jack/Percy married a woman and had a daughter prior to marrying Emma Pearl Bilbro from Bedford County. I know this is a long shot but I am hoping these names or situations may be part of someone else's lineage as well.

Re: Amherst County, VA Wrights

Posted: 2 Mar 2013 11:02PM GMT
Surnames: WRIGHT
Sherry,

This may be of only marginal help to you, but the World War I Draft Registration Card for Percy listed his mother Virginia as then living in Tyro, Virginia, which is on Highway 56 near Massies Mill, Nelson County, Virginia.

And the 1920 Census for Massie's Mill, Nelson County, VA, listed Percy Wright, age 22 and born in VA, as a boarder in the May Anderson household and that he was divorced, which is consistent with the family story.

So you might want to search the Nelson County, VA, marriage records for the period 1912 to 1920 to see if there is a marriage record there for Percy's first marriage.

I checked the 1900 Census for both Nelson and Amherst Counties and did not find anyone who would fit your Percy Harrison Wright.

Robert N. Grant
15 Campo Bello Court
Menlo Park, CA 94025
RNGrant@grantandgordon.com

Posted: 3 Mar 2013 1:23AM GMT
You rock, Robert Grant! Thank you!

Posted: 5 Jun 2013 5:11PM GMT
My Wright line in Amherst Co. goes back to the 1700's. There were at least two different Wright lines (identified via Y DNA testing) there during the same time period. Has your husband taken a Y DNA test to determine where he fits into the Wright line or if he matches up to another surname entirely? If you take a look at results for the Wright Y DNA testing, you will see one line that comes from a Francis Wright and another (mine) from a John Wright (b. 1767, Amherst Co.

Posted: 5 Jun 2013 7:09PM GMT
Linda- can you share with me how to do this? I don't know how to find the Wright DNA line. We're not even sure Percy was really a Wright. Supposedly his parents were not married, so Wright could have been either his father or mother's name. Also, he was given to another family at a young age so he may have assumed their name. Wright DNA would be a good place to start. Thank you so much.
-Sherry

Posted: 5 Jun 2013 7:47PM GMT
Sherry,

Go to www.familytreedna.com for information on Y DNA testing. There are several different options but your husband should at least test at the 37 marker (or higher)point to see other males he matches since he is not sure which surname he might connect to. This is the best way to establish where his paternal line is coming from. Once he does that, he can then join whatever surname group he is matching to. That way when others test, he can be matched up to them.

If he is a "Wright," then he most likely will match one of the two lines that were from Amherst Co. that I mentioned.

If you have any questions about this feel free to email me directly: LJKlassen@aol.com

Linda
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions