Search for content in message boards

VanCamp Cemetery

VanCamp Cemetery

Joanna (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jul 2006 5:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for information re Hugh Rose and wife Hannah Sipes both buried at Van Camp cemetery. Andrew Sipes, f/o Hannah is found in the Toronto area where he died 1831. My Daniel Rose family is found in Niagara 1787 with a son Hugh, Samuel, Alexander. Oddly Eve Sipes d/o Andrew married a Samuel Rose and Catherine Sipes also d/o Andrew married Alexander Rose. Did 3 sons of Daniel Rose all married to Sipes move to Dundas County or just a coincidence??

Re: VanCamp Cemetery ROSE

Patsy Ault (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jul 2006 12:07AM GMT
Surnames: ROSE
Hi Joanna:

Here are a few answers--- or more questions!!

Hugh Rose m Hannah Sipes and Alexander Rose m Catharine Sipes are both children of UEL John
Rose and his wife Catharine Munroe.

Samuel Rose m Eve Sipes is a son of Alexander Rose UEL and Hulda Wright.

This John Rose (m Catharine Munroe) and Alexander Rose (m Hulda) are both children of Hugh Rose Sr.

John and Alexander came to Canada as Loyalists during the Revolution. Father Hugh Sr. and son Hugh Jr and some sisters stayed in Delaware Co. NY USA. Some descendants are still there.

John and Alexander fought with KRRNY during the Revolution. and received land grants in Dundas Co. ON CAN.

I am descended from this family --Alexander m Hulda Wright.

Now I knew that there was a Daniel who settled in Niagara Falls. I believe he was also a Loyalist from Butler's Rangers..

We have this great question is this Daniel a brother of Hugh Sr.??and did he come to USA @1775 with Hugh Sr. and family?

Do you know if Daniel of Niagara Falls has brothers??

I have a note that says that when Hugh Rose Sr. came to USA @ 1775 that his three brothers also came--James, William, and Daniel m Jane with their three children-Hugh, William and John. No proof of this and this is all the information I have that says this.

There was also a Daniel Rose settled in Williamsburg Dundas Co., ON CAN after the Revolution which I cannot place? Any Ideas???

As far as the names Samuel ,Hugh and Alexander they seem to be used over and over in my Rose family .

Hope this helps some.
Take care,

Patsy

Joanna (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jul 2006 2:51AM GMT
Thanks Patsy for answering. My message was wrong naming the sons of Daniel and Jane Rose farmers at Lot 1 Niagara. In the 1873 Niagara census his sons are Hugh 5, William 2/12, John under 1.

I have a marriage for Jane Rose d/o Daniel and Jane who married Abraham Bowman Jr. The license was issued at Queenston 1826.

I don't know if Daniel had brothers. There is a document stating an error that Donald Rose is Daniel Rose so sometimes you see Donald of Niagara.

I have a copy of a document signed by Joseph Brant stating that Daniel Rose fought with the Indian Department in the Revolutionary War.

Abraham Bowman Jr and Jane Rose had a son named Hugh - I presume for her brother Hugh. Abraham and Jane are my grgrgrgr grandparents. My research into Daniel and Jane's family is just beginning. Hugh Bowman my grgrgr grandfather.

Jacob Bowman Jr born 1738, along with his brother George Adam and sister Cathrina Wartman w/o Abraham Wartman, were UEL. Jacob's son Abraham Bowman Sr was 12 when he joined the Kings Royal Regiment as a drummer. Abraham's son Abraham married Jane Rose in 1826.

Is it just coincidence that the eastern Rose family and the Niagara Rose family share many of the same first names??

Reid's Loyalists Sons & Daughters shows Daniel of Niagara with James OC 1821, Alexander OC 1821, Lewis OC 1821, Jane OC 1821, Margaret OC 1834 and Peter OC 1834; then Donald Rose with William of Niagara OC 1806 and Nancy OC 1806. No OC date for Hugh or John??

I'll study your reply for any clues. Joanna :)

Joanna (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jul 2006 3:13AM GMT
For the life of me I can't remember where I saw it but I did see a John Rose living in the Niagara area. Knew I should have written it down!! Also Daniel had sons named Alexander, Hugh, William and John. Seems like more than coincidence. We could be cousins!

I don't know who Daniel of Ernestown is but Reid's has him married to Eleanor Campbell (d/o Alex.) with William OC 1811, Phoebe OC 1812, Archibald OC 1812, Jane OC 1812, Mathias OC 1816 and Mary OC 1817.

I'll think on where I might have come across John in my part of Ontario. J :)

Posted: 21 Oct 2008 1:26PM GMT
Surnames: Seymour, Rose, Luther, Campbell, Duffield
Don't know if this is any help, but I have a number of Rose's in my family tree.

There is an Albert Rose, born about 1857 in Matilda Township, Dundas County to Philander and Harriett Rose. He married a Altha Ann Campbell, daughter of James Archibald Campbell & Mary Ann Duffield on Feb 21, 1882 in Finch Township, Stormont County, Ontario.

Buried in Van Camp Cemetery is a Chester Rose, born in 1884, died in 1957, son of Andrew Rose and Mary Ann. He was married to Kathleen Viola Seymour, daughter of William Clayton Seymour and Nora May Luther. They had one child that I know of, appears to have died at birth also buried in Van Camp, Mary Rose on Sept. 11, 1933.

I didn't look at the other Rose graves in Van Camp as I am researching the Seymours.

Posted: 22 Oct 2008 1:48AM GMT
Thank you for this email and I will make notes. I have been working on a different group having come to a standstill with Rose/Bowman. I'll eventually get back to them. Joanna :)

Posted: 22 Oct 2008 3:15PM GMT
I actually went through my VanCamp Cemetery file again, and found a couple of other Rose's, these are tombstone inscriptions:

Charles Rose, died April 16th 1886, Aged 56 Y'rs, 2 M's, 15 D's, His Wife, Eliza Jane Keyes, Died Nov 6 1930, Aged 83 Y'rs, 6 Mo's and 18 D's.

Esme J. Rose, Died Apr 25, 1893, Aged 15 Y'rs, 2 M's, 15 D's

Posted: 26 Aug 2009 9:21PM GMT
Surnames: Rose, Bowman, McKerlie
Hi Joanna. Have been working for a number of years on the Daniel Rose family (I descend from his son James). The only way to figure this family out is to use the primary land records for the original land grants and all associated transfers, wills, & assignment documents. The key records for Stamford Presbyterian do not exist for time period in question (1800-1820). This is rather unfortunate because Daniel was one of the founding members of the church so all ceremonies would have taken place there.

Daniel and Jane Rose had 10 children: Hugh, William, Nancy (m. William McKerlie), Jane (m. Richard Thompson), Lewis, Alexander (did not marry), James, Margaret (m. Benjamin Thompson), Peter (did not marry), and Electa (aka Elexa or Lexy, m. Charles Wright). The 1783 census transcription has an error (the entry is a female & I am pretty sure it is Nancy).

The family of the first son Hugh (married Eunice Park) has been a problem because he died intestate. This has caused problems to identify the daughters. Sons were Daniel, Alexander, Rufus Harrington, and Adam B. Through Adam's will I know there is a sister who married a McKerlie (he had left a portion of the estate to his nephew Hugh McKerlie provided he turned 21. Alas, he did not survive to 21 and I have found neither his death nor indication of parents; this also predates the 1851/2 census and being a minor he would not appear on any assessments.

Now, for your Abraham Bowman m Jane Rose. I am working on the thesis that she was a daughter of Hugh & Eunice. The timeline & location fits. It also makes sense for the naming of their son Hugh --this family followed the convention of grandfather-first son naming. However, this is only a thesis, I have yet to find a primary document to confirm this.

Posted: 27 Aug 2009 2:26AM GMT
Hi Steve,
Thanks for this most interesting information. I have not worked much on this family yet. I know information is not always accurate but I think I have something that made me believe my Jane was the d/o Daniel Rose. I'll have a look through my files and let you know. I had assumed Hugh Bowman son of Abraham and Jane was named after her brother. Too bad about the loss of the church records. You may be right about the timeline so I will be interested to revisit my files to see what I do have.

Posted: 28 Aug 2009 1:15AM GMT
Hi Patsy. I added some info related to Joanna's query. Here is some information specific to yours:

Daniel Rose (Stamford) was a brother of Hugh Sr. Daniel was not a Butler Ranger --he was one of Brant's Volunteers.

This was one of the many families that had divided loyalties during the revolution. Throughout the war (sans a brief incarceration at Albany jail) Hugh Sr. remained in what later became Delaware Twp. NY. He later became a justice of the peace following the war. During the war, however, he was "neutral" but in effect had clandestinely supported the loyalists throughout the war. The greatest evidence of this is that his was one of the few houses that were not destroyed during one of the raids through that area.

I suggest you read the following book which will infill many pieces of history for you; it will also link you to the primary sources of the information. There are a few small changes that are needed since there are some additional documents that were not known of by the author at the time of writing. However, the history is quite accurate. The central families are the Scottish Loyalists: Chisholms, Roses (Daniel, James, & William), Archibald Thomson, James Park, and Thomas McMicking.

Mathews, Hazel C. 1965. The Mark of Honour. University of Toronto Press. This book was Number 6 in a series of historical studies edited by Kenneth McNaught and sponsored by the Social Science Research Council of Canada.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions