Search for content in message boards

gauthier/riche/piper/scallen/lemoine

gauthier/riche/piper/scallen/lemoine

Posted: 26 Nov 2003 8:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
My gggrandfather was Zenon Gauthier (II) abt. 1852 he married Emily (Emelie)Piper b. 1854. Emily's parents could be Rufus and Sidonia Piper. Zenon's father was Zenon Gauthier (I) b. July 1829 married to Clementine Riche, first, than Delville Riche b. 1836, my line. Delville's parents are Julien Riche b.1797 and Maria Louise Rabalais b. Aug. 1812. Julien's parents are Jean Baptiste Riche b. 1775 and Dorthea Scallen. Zenon (I) parents are Celestin Gauthier b. Nov. 1797 and Arthemise Lemoine. What I am interested in finding out is if there is any Indian in this bloodline. And would like any info on the Piper's, don't have much to go on there.

Thanks, diana

Re: gauthier/riche/piper/scallen/lemoine

Margaret Broussard (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 2003 5:04PM GMT
Surnames: Gauthier/Riche/Piper/Scallan/Lemoine
Hi, Diana
The only Indian there might be is if the Piper has any. Not in any of the other family lines that you mention, in my opinion. In the pictures of the Scallans in my husband's family, they do look very dark and have black hair, but I guess that is a combination of the Irish and French.
Some points of interest:
The two wives of Zenon Bauthier - Clementine Riche and Deville - were sister, I think. Also, married to Germain Riche was Carmelite Lemoine; married to Elphedge Riche was Elena Lemoine and married to Celestin Gauthier was Arthemise Lemoine - Again, I think all sisters.
I got my Scallan file from a friend online. I do believe it is well-researched but does not include the sources per item. It came just with a list of sources.
I'll be happy to share whatever I have, and would love to get details and sources from you to add to my file.
You can contact me personally if you like.
Margaret Broussard (French Canadian husband - not Acadian)

Posted: 30 Nov 2003 6:13AM GMT
Hi Margaret, thanks for your reply. I do not have much information, most of it has come from census records and online sources, that I have pieced together. Yes, Clementine and Delville were sisters. What I can find on Zenon (II) he married Emily or Emelie Piper census records show them to both be mulatto. I know there is some discussion as to the definition of mulatto at this time period. I always heard, as a child, Emily was Indian. 1870 census shows her and her parents as mulatto. Just trying to find out of the rumors were true. Eventually two of the Gauthier girls married two Howard guys and moved to Texas. These are my ggrandparents and gg aunt and uncle.
Thanks again,
Diana rdlp@ev1.net

Posted: 31 Oct 2006 3:50AM GMT
I've found Zenon's parents: Sosthene Gauthier and Lucie/Lucille Pamias. Sosthene's father is Guilluame and so on. The linkage goes back to France.

Francis (View posts)
Posted: 1 Nov 2006 12:03PM GMT
Surnames: GAUTHIER, RICHÉ, RABALAIS, ESCALIEN (SCALLAN), LEMOINE, OUBRE
Zenon Gauthier, b. 11 July 1829 at Avoyelles, s/o Celestin Gauthier I & Arthemise Lemoine; m. 4 Mar 1851 at Avoyelles Clementine Delville Riché, b. 4 Jan 1838, d/o Euzelien "Julien" Riché & Marie Louise Rabalais - Clementine Delville Riché Gauthier d. 28 Nov 1888 and is buried in St. Mary's Cem.

Celestin Gauthier I, b. 26 Nov 1797 at Avoyelles, s/o Guillaume Gauthier & Elizabeth Gabriella Rabalais; m. 16 May 1820 Arthemise Lemoine; Celestin d. bef. Apr., 1836.

Euzelien "Julien" Riché, s/o Jean Baptiste Frederic Riché and Dorothé Escalien; m. 23 Jan 1827 Marie Louise Rabalais at Avoyelles; children: Zeline, Germain "Zerbin", Elphege Arcadius I, Clara, Delville (probably d. in infancy), Ludger, Clementine Delville, Emerante, Cesaire, & Resaire.

Dorothé Escalien, b. 23 Aug 1776 at Pointe Coupée, d/o Nicolas Escalien & Marie Josephe Oubre; m. 9 May 1796 Jean Baptiste Frederic Riché at Pointe Coupée.

Nicolas Escalien, b. ca. 1750 in Ireland, s/o William Scallan & Elizabeth (______).

Posted: 11 Nov 2012 4:32PM GMT
Surnames: howard /gauthier
I am also a relative of the Howard side don't no much but my grandfather was Benny Howard son of George Howard and mother was sedonia they had about 12 or so children the only person left that knows anything is my aunt she does not like to talk about things but she knew sedonia as a child that told her stories about living on the chactaw reservation coming from Iroquois reservation not mallato but french Indian I am cuurently trying to get a pic of my grandmother and grandfather in Indian clothing and pictures of sosthene ,Emily piper and so on that she has in her possession you can contact me my5k1@yahoo.com

Posted: 11 Mar 2013 8:06PM GMT
Hi....i'm a descendant (g-grandaughter) of Ida Marie Gauthier Howard and am wondering if you got pictures from anyone? Thanks!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions