Search for content in message boards

Bundy's Virginia - Maryland

Bundy's Virginia - Maryland

Ernest Bundy (View posts)
Posted: 23 Sep 2001 1:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bundy
I am looking for information on Bundy's in Virginia and Maryland areas. I want to find information on my Great Grandfather (William Bundy). I think he came to Baltimore, MD from Culpeper, VA. I believe he had three children (mother Unknown) Will, Lena, Ida. He had seven kids with my great grandmother (Emma Taylor) Bessie, Catherine, Rose, Mable, Benjamin (My Grandfather - born 8/28/1889), Albert, and Earl. My father is Ernest Watts Bundy of Baltimore, MD (born 01/20/1919, died 1974). I am Ernest Watts Bundy Jr., born 01/20/1948, currently live in Burke, VA, but grew up in Baltimore, MD.

Re: Bundy's Virginia - Maryland

Posted: 10 Feb 2010 10:33PM GMT
My family is African-American and I am a descendant of a long line of Bundys from Virginia. I have traced the lineage as far back as 1796, which was when Warner Bundy of Culpeper was born. Susan Bundy, b. 1797, lived at Maple Springs in Culpeper County, which is on the National Register of Historic Places as an example of Piedmont architecture. It appears that she and her family shared the home at one time with a white family, McDonald but might have had to leave when the McDonald family expanded. I believe Susan was Warner's wife but cannot say so with any degree of certainty. Susan had a daughter, Isabella, and a son, Addison, although I'm guessing he might have been Isabella's son.

You might try using the variations "Bunday" and "Bunda" when you seach online. The names you have mentioned are not familiar but I'll check the tree. It is possible we are related.

Posted: 14 Feb 2010 2:18PM GMT
Hello, I am also a descendant from the Bundy's. of Culpeper Virginia. According to my research. Warner of Culpeper is Susan Bundy's Son. Susan is enumerated in the culpeper 1850 census and she is about 53 years of age. Warner is also enumerated in this record, he lives about two doors down with his wife Ann Phillips. Warner is listed as being about 28 years old.

Isabella is Susan's daughter. I found her marriage certficate in the LDS site. Her mother is on record as being Susan and her father is listed as being John Bundy.

The family is published on the Department of Interor's site and in the following book. Season's of War: The Ordeal of a confederate Community, 1861-1865. Here is an excerpt " Warner Bundy is typical. He, his wife, and six children, ages 3 to 19, live in a house provided by Robertson Coons. Coons also pays Bundy $150 a year and allows him to raise his own stock. Generous terms, and they provide the family a modicum of independence. But Bundy sees very little of his wages in cash, for he and Coons have a credit arrangement whereby Coons provides whatever supplies the Bundys may need and deducts the cost from Warren's wages. Bundy still owes $77 from 1860, and thus far in 1861 he already owes $30 for bacon, salt, and brandy." This book states that Susan is presumed to be Warners mother since both of them are free.

I also found information on another family member. Ryburn Bundy. He testified in the Southern Claims Commission.I found that Ryburn and warner are first cousins. Ryburn's parents are Franklin Bundy and Sally Bundy. Therefore Sally is Warner's grandmother.

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=sccallowed&...

I know that Sally was a free African American. However, I am almost certain this is Warners grandmother. I have yet to validate the relationship to warner.I believe that I am very close to connecting our family with the Bunday family listed on the site below.

http://www.freeafricanamericans.com/Brooks_Byrd.htm

Posted: 14 Feb 2010 3:46PM GMT
Ernest

I have a william Bundy in my tree but I not certain of his relationship to my family. This is what I found out. The Addision Bundy enumerated with my Susan bundy in the 1860 census did not hae a relationship on the record. I found an marriage record for Addison Bundy and his father's name was William Bundy and the mother's name is Betsy. Unfortunetly, Addison is not with Susan and Isabell in the 1870 census. He would be about 15years old. I think this may be a grandchild. However, there is an Edward Bundy who is listed with Susan, Isabelle and her husband Frederick,he is 17 years of aga but he is gone by 1880. I don't know Edward's relation to Susan either. I am still researching this information. I haven't been to lucky with this information the 1860 census did not record very much. We are lucky to even have a name.

Posted: 14 Feb 2010 5:13PM GMT
Thank you. I'm familiar with the Seasons of War info, and the family of Susan, Isabella, Warner and Addison. I think Addison's a bit young to be Susan's kid--she's in her fifties and he's five in 1850. Also the home on the Natl Register of Historic Places is not open to the public--privately owned--but I might drive out there in the spring and see what I can see from the highway, or perhaps see if the present owner would allow access. There are pics of it on the internet. Thanks for the info on Ryburn; the name keeps popping up during my research but I haven't figured out where to fit it in. Warner filed a claim with the Claims Commission; something to do with hogs appropriated by the Union army. (I don't have my tree in front of me but I think it was Warner). I guess Ryburn's testimony was related to that. Also, do you have a year for Franklin Bundy? I've found a Franklin Bundy of Culpeper, "free colored man", who fought in Revolutionary War as well as a William Bundy, but haven't figured out where they fit in.

Posted: 14 Feb 2010 5:19PM GMT
Ryburn is Warner's 1st cousin. Warner's daughter maria testified that Ryburns mother and her grandfather were brother and sister. I can't find any records on Franklin. I've found them on John (warners father), Sally and Susan. Franklin is Sally's husband.

Please read your ancestry msgs to send me your email address so I can connect you to my tree.

Posted: 14 Feb 2010 9:26PM GMT

Posted: 3 Nov 2010 7:31PM GMT
Hello
Stephanie/Ernest
I had a big break through on the Bundy Family.
My ancestor Warner Bundy was the son of Elizabeth Bundy. She is referenced in section XV of the webpage below.

http://www.freeafricanamericans.com/Brooks_Byrd.htm

I was focused so much on Sally bundy I didn't look at Issac Bundy. This website ties us to Ann Bunday of Essex County born 1703. How ever you spell it, Bundy, Bunday, Bunda we are all related.

Posted: 8 Nov 2010 3:35AM GMT
thank you for the additional info. i'll have to review it and work it into my tree. i'm afraid i've been spending quite a bit of time managing my mother's tree--prather (also spelled prater, praetor, prayther, and a million other ways)--so haven't spent as much time on bundy. I had hoped to visit the home at Maple Springs and get started on my DAR application but life doesn't stand still.

Posted: 8 Nov 2010 3:58PM GMT
Stephanie
NP. I have a question for you. Where did you find info on Franklin Bundy? Ryburn Bundy Sr has Franklin Bundy listed as his father on his marriage license. The only problem is there is about five of them. ( three in culpeper and two in Essex co) I don't know who is who.

Also, in reference to your earlier post about Susan being Warner's mother. The webpage I referenced earlier suggests that she is his aunt. Apparently, Warrners mother is named Elizabeth.I've been trying to piece it all together. Look at Issac Bundy. There are so many of them and all of them are "Free". I believe all of the Bundy's (Bunday's Bunda's) living in Culpeper around the early 1800's are all related.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic