Search for content in message boards

Native American Adkins & Atkins

Native American Adkins & Atkins

Posted: 31 Dec 2010 10:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Adkins, Atkins,Tiller, Davis
My mother Marion Norman Atkins from Richmond VA the daughter of Norman Murdock Atkins told us that we are Cherokee Indian. A lot of my relatives are from Mangohick VA. I may be Chickahominy also, from my father's side Harry L. Atkins. Both sides had their names changed from "ADKINS to ATKINS" due to discrimination against Native Americans. If anyone has any info on this please contact me here.

Re: Native American Adkins & Atkins

Posted: 11 Feb 2011 1:31PM GMT
I was just informed today that there is Cherokee in my blood somewhere as well- it seems my great great grandmother Letha Atkins always said she had no siblings - and that her mother Elizabeth Edwards was 1/2 Cherokee. Her Father was Aaron Atkins and he evidently was married to 4 women before polygamy was outlawed, including an Elizabeth - but I can't find anything on her. The only "Letha" I find is a TELITHA HORTON who is one year old in 1870 and listed in the household with Aaron Atkins and his wife Nancy - maiden name Horton. By 1880 Telitha's last name is Atkins~ and she marries James William Moore when she is like 14 or something. She has several siblings that I've no doubt she knew about but was embarrassed about given the climate on polygamy during those years- but I wonder if Aaron Adkins was the source of her native blood- or if it was her mother - and if Elizabeth really was her mother or if Nancy Horton was... Any ideas? Looks like My Adkins was last in VA in 1880- but back and forth between Georgia, Missouri, Arkansas...

Posted: 3 Mar 2011 4:26AM GMT
I have been looking for the same thing. have you checked the website with the rolls?

http://www.us-census.org/native/5_civlilized_tribes.html

My problem is find my great grandmothers parents names. it is time consuming. The Cherokee Nation in Tahlequah Oklahoma has DNA testing too.

Hope this helps!

Posted: 12 May 2011 7:27PM GMT
Surnames: Adkins
I live very near Cherokee Nation HQ in Tahlequah, they don not do DNA testing. The y do have a Heritage Center, where you can pay $20 for the start of assistance in you genealogical search. I know this bc I went there recently, but the Heritage Center was closed the day I went. You can call Cherokee Nation HQ at 918-543-5000 to confirm this.

Posted: 18 May 2011 10:45PM GMT
Thanx for the info! Tocsa

Posted: 19 Oct 2011 8:29PM GMT
Surnames: Adkins
Our Adkins do have Native American , I am the 7th Greatgrandaughter of Chief Cornstalk,through daughter Mary Bluesky Cornstalk married to Parker V Adkins. ,you will find alot of info on this by buying the book the heritage book 1 and book 2,you canThere is a web Link to show our Litteberry and Charity ,plus Parker V and William were in Shawnee rolls of sorts

www.American-Tribes.com

Click on picture it will take you to a page go to message boards and then down to Eastern Woodlands ,click and go through names

Posted: 19 Oct 2011 8:30PM GMT
You can get ahold of me at kcg1951@yahoo.com I will help as much as I can

Kathy

Posted: 29 Sep 2012 8:09PM GMT
My family is from nc my great grandmother millie was a adkins and we are native american i dont know much about our heritage she married a giunn who also had native american in him and had my grandfather but he died just after anybody know if the nc adkins

Posted: 17 Nov 2013 9:37PM GMT
lakota?

Posted: 24 Nov 2013 6:27PM GMT
Either Chickahominy,Pamunkey, or Mattaponi fron VA!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions