Search for content in message boards

Simmons Family in Georgia

Simmons Family in Georgia

Posted: 12 Dec 2002 12:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Dec 2002 10:15PM GMT
I would very much like to have email from any that can trace their Simmons family to John Simmons born 1723 in VIrginia. He moved to N.C. and then to Wilkes County, Georgia. He was living in the eastern portion of old Wilkes County when it became Lincoln County. He was in the Patrol of Safety while in N.C. and was patriot soldier of the Revolution along with most of his sons. One of his sons, Sterne Simmons had moved to Georgia from S.C. in 1773. John received a Headright Grant to lands in Georgia. He came to Georgia with the children of his second marriage. Most of his sons were soldiers in the Continental Army of Va., N.C. S.C. and Georgia. I have traced my ancestry to this John Simmons. One of his other sons that came to Georgia was William Simmons. He lived in Oglethorpe County. One of William's sons was Solomon S. Simmons. This Solomon was a soldier in the War of 1812 defending the Georgia frontier from hostile indians allied with the British. Solomon move with his family to Harris County, Georgia. I have not determined his date of death or burial location. He died sometime between 1842 and 1850. His son John W. Simmons moved to Chambers County, Alabama and later to Tallapoosa County. I have posted information about him in the past.

Re: Simmons Family in Georgia

Peggy Hill (View posts)
Posted: 16 Dec 2002 12:22AM GMT
Dear John:
There is not one shred of evidence that I have ever found that John Simmons who died in Wilkes County, Ga was the father of Stern Simmons. It is possible he was a brother but the family of John Simmons is well established from deeds where he gave his children property. Mrs. Tidwell or McCall in her work, lumped all the Simmons who were in early Georgia and gave them as sons of one John Simmons. Sorry, but it just ain't so and I can prove it. This John had no son named William.
The William Simmons you are referring to was from the Wake/Johnson are of North Carolina. He and his wife, Patience did have a son named Solomon as proved by deeds. This William was the son of a John Simmons who died in the Wake/Johnson area of North Caroline. He never came to Georgia.
I know all of the above because my husband is descened from both these Simmons lines and I have worked for years on them.
If you will send me your regular mailing address, I will send you family sheets on your Simmons line showing where Solomon fits.
Peggy Hill Peggyhill@prodigy.net

Peggy Hill (View posts)
Posted: 16 Dec 2002 12:25AM GMT
Dear John:
Forgot to mention, Solomon was not the son of William Simmons who died in Oglethorpe county, Ga. He was the son of a William Simmons who was in Wilkes county, GA and wife, Patience.
Peggy Hill

Posted: 25 Feb 2003 6:26AM GMT
I am looking for info on SIMMONS family in Georgia prior to 1800.

The oldest ancestor I have found is William SIMMONS who was born about 1785 in Georgia, then moved to the Mississippi Territory in 1805 after purchasing some land there (I have photostats). He married Jane GOSLIN and they had at least 8 children: Mason, William, Willis, Narcisse, John Richard, Mary, George Washington, and James Jackson. I have extensive information on them, as an attorney in the Simmons family wrote a thoroughly researched family history in the 1980?s. The book is an inch thick and fully documented.

William SIMMONS became a planter in Mississippi, as did his son George Washington SIMMONS. George married Mary Caroline McGEE. One of their children was Willis Fleet SIMMONS, who was a physician and prominent politically. He married Annie HALL. (I have no info on Annie's mother or father.)

One of their sons was Robert E. Lee SIMMONS, born 1876 and died in 1942, MS. He married Lillie ALFORD, b. in Simmonsville, MS 1876, and d. Oct 7, 1977 in Progress, MS. (She was 101 years old!) Robert and Lillie's children were Clyde and Joseph Fleet. Joseph Fleet SIMMONS is my husband?s father.

I have no info on Lillie's mother or father, Claude ALFORD.

I would be grateful for any shared information or leads.

Sincerely,
Maureen Simmons

Simmons Information Exchange (View posts)
Posted: 25 Feb 2003 7:58PM GMT
Dear Maureen:
The man who married Jane Goslin was Willis Simmons not William. He was the son of a William Simmons of Georgia but not the William named in the book about Willis. Since this William (father of Willis) was a brother of one of my husband's ancestors, I have quite a bit of information on the line. If you will EMail me your regular mailing address, I will send you family sheets on them with no charge. If you decide you want copies of the documentation, I will ask for an amount to help cover my expenses of copying and postage, etc.
Peggy Hill Peggyhill@prodigy.net

Posted: 26 Feb 2003 4:39AM GMT
Edited: 19 Apr 2003 4:29AM GMT
Surnames: Simmons, Alford, Goslin
Peggy, you are right. I mistyped that. Willis married Jane Goslin.

So, is your husband descended from the Silver Creek Simmons? I have the book prepared by Edna Simmons Campbell of Florida State University and Atty. Hansford L. Simmons that exhaustively details the Silver Creek Simmons line. But that is mostly what I have to go on, plus what I have found on the internet.

It is great to make contact with "family." I would be delighted to receive additional information, and would gladly pay for any photostats you might have. Let me know what you have available.

I have put everything I know onto the Family Tree software program. It prints out about 60 pages if I run it, because it also includes a graphic "tree." Let me know if you would like a copy. CYE

Posted: 27 Feb 2003 2:36AM GMT
Simmons family from Virginia 1774 then South Carolina early 1800's. Any info will be helpful

Norman L. Piwonka (View posts)
Posted: 17 Aug 2003 8:29PM GMT
I am researching information on William Joshua Simmons for my brother-in-law, who is his great-grandson. W. J. Simmons was born in 1842 in Georgia and married Sarah Whiteside in 1863 in Cave Spring, Floyd County, Georgia. He served in the 1st Georgia Cavalry Regiment during the Civil War and was captured in Tennessee and spent the remainder of the war as a POW in Rock Island Prison. After the Civil War he moved to Arkansas for a short time, then to Hunt Co., Texas, then to Oklahoma, and finally settled in Donley County, Texas where he was killed in 1894 in a wagon accident. I am trying to determine which Simmons family he comes from but would also like to get any other information that might be available on him.

Maureen (View posts)
Posted: 18 Aug 2003 5:24AM GMT
Surnames: Simmons
Dear Norman,
I ran a search on my program and don't have a match with the names you mentioned. It is really valuable that you have the first and second given names for your ancestor. It will help you eventually find the right family line. There are scads of Williams in mine, but not a match for your name.

Peggy Hill has done an excellent job on the Simmons surname. She may be able to help you!

Norman L. Piwonka (View posts)
Posted: 19 Aug 2003 12:38AM GMT
Surnames: Simmons
I am researching information on William Joshua Simmons for my brother-in-law, who is his great-grandson. W. J. Simmons was born in 1842 in Georgia and married Sarah Whiteside in 1863 in Cave Spring, Floyd County, Georgia. He served in the 1st Georgia Cavalry Regiment during the Civil War and was captured in Tennessee and spent the remainder of the war as a POW in Rock Island Prison. After the Civil War he moved to Arkansas for a short time, then to Hunt Co., Texas, then to Oklahoma, and finally settled in Donley County, Texas where he was killed in 1894 in a wagon accident. I am trying to determine which Simmons family he comes from but would also like to get any other information that might be available on him.

I had contacted Maureen at Simmons Information Exchange and she suggested that you might be able to help.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic