Search for content in message boards

Baumle family births in Milwaukee, info on parents needed

Baumle family births in Milwaukee, info on parents needed

Andreas Zipfel-Waag (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jan 2005 7:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Baumle, Baeumle, Baenmle
Hello,
I’m hoping to find a nice helping hand who could assist me with the following Baumle family members born in Milwaukee. The database I checked shows their birth dates, but not the name of the parents. I didn’t find them in census records so I assume they died sometime between two censuses. What I need is the name of their parents or at least the name of the father.

Baumle, Baeumle, (Baenmle)

-John, b. 10 Feb 1850
-Michael, b. 03 Nov 1881
-William, b. 06 Feb 1886
-Hermine, b. 10 May 1894
-Hermine, b. 14 Nov 1895
-Mary E. , b. 24 Apr 1896
-Gertrude E., b. 16 May 1897

Thanks a lot for any info you may be able to supply. I highly assume that these are children of a Baeumle family in Milwaukee which is related to me.

Andreas

Re: Baumle family births in Milwaukee, info on parents needed

Tony (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jan 2005 9:13PM GMT
Hi Andreas, Some families Bauml (Baeumel, Baumle) lived in Horsovsky Tyn (Bischofteinitz) town in southwest Bohemia.
Lot of emigrant from this area settled down in Wisconsin or Minnesota after 1848. They were "German-Bohemian".
All the best. Tony.

Posted: 23 Jan 2005 9:24PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jan 2005 3:51AM GMT
There were also Baeuml (varient spellings' this is likely the original, as I've seen it in chronicles, published in Germany, spelled this way--actually B-A (w/ umlaut over A, which makes it "AE"-U-M-L)-), in the FALKENAU district (now Sokolov, Czech Republic).
Falkenau, as well as Bishofteinitz belonged to the former Austrian crownland (until 1918)-then Czechosolovakia until 1938 when annexed as the German Sudetenland--then after 1945 Czechoslovakia; now Czech Republic). This is the "German-Bohemia" of which Tony wrote.
I have seen it in Milwaukee City Directories since 1851 (John BAUML, butcher ); 1856 John Bauml, Saloon @ Lake & Reed Streets) and then variant spellings thereafter, including 1885, where I have in research notes written an address of 492-16th Street and that there were 4 listings. There are still BAUEMLs in the Milwaukee area.
Several years ago, I had done some research on German-Bohemian surnames for the German-Bohemian Heritage Society and this name showed up often. I am going from memory, but believe I also saw listings for them in St. Joseph German Catholic Church, formerly located at 12th & Cherry Sts (records at LDS Family History Center, combined with records of St. Joseph's in Wauwatosa).
You may want to subsribe and post a query on the Rootsweb GERMAN-BOHEMIAN list and also visit the German-Bohemian Heritage Society website. Someone may have already researched this family.
By the way, if from the areas already suggested, you may find records/census info that give different areas of birth as either, Germany, Austria, Boehmen (Bohemia), as it changed so often.

Posted: 23 Jan 2005 9:27PM GMT

Message Boards Login
Search: All Boards Milwaukee Board Advanced Search

Boards > Localities > North America > United States > States > Wisconsin > Counties > Milwaukee
Milwaukee
List Messages | Post New Message | Add Board To Favorites | Add Board To Notifications | Links & Announcements

<<Thread • Previous • Next • Thread>>

Author: susan Date: 23 Jan 2005 9:24 PM GMT
In Reply to: Re: Baumle family births in Milwaukee, info on parents needed by: Tony
Post Reply | Mark Unread Report Abuse Print Message
There were also Baeuml (varient spellings' this is likely the original, as I've seen it in chronicles, published in Germany, spelled this way--actually B-A (w/ umlaut over A, which makes it "AE"-U-M-L)-), in the FALKENAU district (now Sokolov, Czech Republic).
Falkenau, as well as Bishofteinitz belonged to the former Austrian crownland (until 1918)-then Czechosolovakia until 1938 when annexed as the German Sudetenland--then after 1945 Czechoslovakia; now Czech Republic). This is the "German-Bohemia" of which Tony wrote.
I have seen it in Milwaukee City Directories since 1851 (John BAUML, butcher ); 1856 John Bauml, Saloon @ Lake & Reed Streets) and then variant spellings thereafter, including 1885, where I have in research notes written an address of 492-16th Street and that there were 4 listings. There are still BAUEMLs in the Milwaukee area.
Several years ago, I had done some research on German-Bohemian surnames for the German-Bohemian Heritage Society and this name showed up often. I am going from memory, but believe I also saw listings for them in St. Joseph German Catholic Church, formerly located at 12th & Cherry Sts (records at LDS Family History Center, combined with records of St. Joseph's in Wauwatosa).
You may want to subsribe and post a query on the Rootsweb GERMAN-BOHEMIAN list and also visit the German-Bohemian Heritage Society website. Someone may have already researched this family.
By the way, if from the areas already suggested, you may find records/census info that give different areas of birth as either, Germany, Austria, Boehmen (Bohemia), as it changed so often.
Post Reply | Mark Unread Report Abuse Print Message

<<Thread • Previous • Next • Thread>>

Find a Board: Use Soundex

Request New Board | Message Board Rules | Message Board FAQ | Message Board Help

Copyright © 1998-2001 MyFamily.com, Inc. and its subsidiaries. All rights reserved.

Posted: 24 Jan 2005 3:36AM GMT
Andreas,
Also found in 1859 Milwaukee City Directory:
BAEUMLE, Leopold, vinegar factory, Cherry St between 15th and 16th North
See direcory at: http://wisconsincitydirectory.com/Milwaukee/1859/Book.asp?Pa...
This was only 3 city blocks from St . Joseph German Catholic Church (12th and Cherry Streets)
Susan

Andreas (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jan 2005 8:48AM GMT
Surnames: Baumle, Baeumle, Bäumle
Hello Susan,
thank you very much for your info, it's greatly appreciated. This is undoubtedly the Leopold Baeumle I'm looking for. He was a former resident of the town of Murg in Baden, and I am researching his family and descendants in WI.
Andreas, Karlsruhe, Baden

Andreas (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jan 2005 8:54AM GMT

susan muehlhans-karides (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jan 2005 3:38AM GMT
Hello Andreas,

The family is found buried at Calvary Cemtery in Milwaukee (several of them in same area or burial plot), including:

BAUMLE, LEOPOLD Date of Death: 12 January 1891 (burial same day)/ AGE at death: 64 years: last address: 492-16th Street. Plot is located at Block 10; Row 97

The Milwaukee Catholic Cemeteries can be searched at:
http://www.cemeteries.org/genealogySearch0005.asp

We are VERY snow covered right now, but if you remind me, I can go there and take pictures when the weather improves.

Good Luck!
Susan Muehlhans-Karides--Muskego, Wisconsin

Andreas (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jan 2005 4:06PM GMT
Surnames: Baeumle, Bäumle, Baumle
Thank you very much, Susan.
This is my Leopold Bäumle, born in Murg, Baden. I have checked the webpage of the arcdiocese Milwaukee, most of his related are indeed buried in the same area or burial plot.
Talk to you as soon as the weather clears up!
Andreas

Posted: 30 Oct 2012 1:04PM GMT
Surnames: Bäumle Baeumle
"... This is my Leopold Bäumle, born in Murg, Baden ..."

There were multiple death notices, an obit., and followup article on the will of Leopold Bäumle in the local German papers (spelled both Bäumle and Baeumle depending on the paper or the day). There were also family death notices for other names listed in this thread, like the infant Hermine. And there were early death notices for Francisca Bäumle, which are rare.

We even know from the local German papers that Leopold received a letter postmarked from Loffingen (near Murg) in 1865.

Indexing Milwaukee's German newspapers continuously since 2007 ...
Gary Rebholz, compiler/editor
Milwaukee Wis.
gary.rebholz@gmail.com
"Milwaukee's German Newspapers; an index of death notices and related items" (1844-1950).
per page

Find a board about a specific topic