Search for content in message boards

Margaret Fernie, Strathmiglo Scotland

Margaret Fernie, Strathmiglo Scotland

Posted: 4 Feb 2010 8:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for relatives related to Margaret Fernie of Strathmiglo Scotland born 1831-1832.Married John Mc Naughton(born in Monzie Dec.11,1808)from Tomacknock next to Crieff on May 16,1851 in Strathmiglo.Margaret's parents were James Fernie (B.1789) and Helen Gilmour(1794).Her gr.grandparents were Andrew Fernie and Margaret Simpson married Nov.11,1792 in Falkland.Margaret had brothers Andrew,John&James(twins)David,George,Robert,William and Henry from Newtown Falkland.I have more info.
Doug McNaughton, Stratford, Canada.

Re: Margaret Fernie, Strathmiglo Scotland

Posted: 17 Jul 2012 11:28AM GMT
Doug, in reply to your post, I am descended from Margaret Fernie/McNaughton's brother Andrew b 1814. If you could let me know what further information you are looking for perhaps I may be able to help. As I was unaware until just recently that Maragret had gone to Canada, I would be most interested to learn about the Canadian branch of the family. Also,I don't appear to have any info at all on Margaret's brothers George & Robert - when & where were they born and did they emigrate to Canada? Where to from here, as I am sure we are both going to have lots of information to share??

Carolyn Bennett, Marcus Beach, Qld, Australia

Posted: 25 Jul 2012 4:22AM GMT
Hi Carolyn:
I am still trying to get together Margaret's family after she arrived in Canada and up to the present. Margaret married John McNaughton originally from Tomacknock Scotland.
They married in 1851 and then left for Canada. She died in Blanshard Township, Perth County, Canada in 1910. Someone has sent me the whole family in Scotland on the computer but I can't download it. I can give you their email. Good to hear from you. Margaret was my gr. grandmother.
Doug

Posted: 28 Jul 2012 2:02AM GMT
Hi Doug,
Thanks for responding to my post. Since I sent my message, I have done some further research on ScotlandsPeople and managed to find Margaret's brothers George & Robert, so I now have all of the Scotland family accounted for. Would certainly be interested to hear from you when you have more details on the Canadian branch of the family. Andrew Fernie, Margaret's brother b 1814 is my ggg grandfather. Good luck with your Canadian research!
Carolyn

Posted: 30 Jul 2012 4:04PM GMT
Surnames: Fernie, McNaughton.
Hi Carolyn: I will get the rest of the family history relating to Canada finished hopefully this winter. Glad you found George and Robert. My gr. grandmother named one of her sons George. There was a story in the family that one of her brothers came over to Canada some years after she arrived here in 1851 to see if she was alright. He then went back to Scotland. She supposedly had a dream the night before he arrived that she could hear his voice calling her. Keep in touch.
Doug

Posted: 2 Aug 2012 1:02PM GMT
Doug, would you mind if I gave you a ring at some stage ( I think I have found the correct phone number in the Canadian White Pages) to exchange email addresses for ease of communication down the track. I could then forward you details of my line down from Andrew Fernie as well as other branches of the family if you were interested. I will also follow up on your "story" regarding Margaret's brother coming to Canada to check if she was alright - perhaps I will be able to confirm the story & find out which brother it was by checking some shipping records. Coincidentally,I just discovered recently that Andrew Fernie's grandson William Sutherland also emigrated to Canada early in 1900. He married a Susan Gibbard in 1906 in Barrie, Toronto and must have died soon after as she is listed as a widow in the 1911 census. I am now wondering if his brother Andrew Fernie Sutherland also went to Canada as I can find no trace of him in Scotland after 1921. Lots of unanswered questions but all very interesting! Will keep in touch.
Cheers, Carolyn
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions