Search for content in message boards

James Ervin Smith

James Ervin Smith

Posted: 21 Sep 2010 6:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am trying to find records on James Ervin Smith. According to family lore, he married Margaret Wiggins, date of marriage unknown. It was an arranged marriage and he was supposedly 24 years older than his wife, who was 16 at the time. So that would put the marriage around 1873. He owned a hotel in Listowel, was an Orangeman and the Grand Marshall in the July 12th parades. This is family lore and has yet to be proven. If anyone has any information on James Ervin Smith or where I can find records to search for him, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Re: James Ervin Smith

Posted: 21 Sep 2010 10:09PM GMT
Did not find a marriage for them but here is a birth of a daughter as listed on Ancestry.ca

Maggie Maud, b 11 Feb 1880, d/o James Erwin Smith, hotel keeper & Margaret Wiggins, Listowel, Perth County.

Marriage:
Betty Smith, 26, waitress, b and living Listowel, d/o John Smith & Margaret Smith, married Henry Funston, 26, moulder, s/o John Wellington Funston and Margaret Ann Wiggins, witn: Elizabeth Funston & Margaret Ann McMaster, 7 Aug 1916, Niagara Falls.

1881 census on www.famiysearch.org
1901 and 1911 census on www.automatedgenealogy.com

Posted: 22 Sep 2010 1:23AM GMT
Thank you for your response and I did have that information, I am trying to find information on the birth of James Ervin Smith and his marriage to Margaret Wiggins. That is my brick wall that seems to be insurmountable right now.

I appreciate your response.

Posted: 23 Sep 2010 9:29AM GMT
Classification: Marriage
Surnames: SMITH, WIGGINS
Marriage Date: 15 Dec 1925
Marriage Place: , British Columbia, Canada
Groom's Name: Charles Harris Hutton
Groom's Age: 43
Groom's Birth Date: 1882
Groom's Birthplace: Economy, Nova Scotia
Groom's Marital Status: Widowed
Groom's Residence:
Groom's Father's Name: Alexander Walter Hutton
Groom's Mother's Name: Susan Culgin
Bride's Name: Mable Ellen Green
Bride's Age: 42
Bride's Birth Date: 1883
Bride's Birthplace: Portage La Prairie,
Bride's Marital Status: Divorced
Bride's Residence:
Bride's Father's Name: James Smith
Bride's Mother's Name: Margaret Wiggins
Film Number: 2074320
Digital Folder Number: 4401585
Image Number: 722
BC Archives Film Number: B13750
Registration Number: 722
Banns or License: License
Collection: British Columbia Marriage Registrations, 1859-1932

Posted: 23 Sep 2010 1:44PM GMT
Thanks so much for this information. Which family are you researching and do you have any information at all on James Smith?

Posted: 23 Sep 2010 2:12PM GMT
you are most welcome - not one of mine - just a having a peek for you - I THINK Margaret & Maud (Spelt Mude) is on the 1891 census with another daughter Louisa in Listowel with 2 lodgers - Margaret shows as widowed - could'nt find a death between 1882 & 1891 for james in either normal deaths for Ont nor catholic records

Posted: 23 Sep 2010 5:12PM GMT
Thanks, but a different family, unfortunately. My James Ervin Smith is very, very elusive, unfortunately.

Posted: 6 Oct 2012 7:51AM GMT
Surnames: Smith Funston
Betty Smith Funston was my grandmother,but her father is listed as unknown, Margaret Smith was not married at the time of her birth, she later married Joseph Kress in 1915, Margaret had a brother James and he never married, Their mother was Annie Iwrin, father was James Smith , lived near Newton at Edgecombe
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions