Search for content in message boards

NAKEL, Germany

NAKEL, Germany

Posted: 17 Mar 2005 8:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Apr 2005 4:29PM GMT
My gr-gr-grandparents immigrated form NAKEL, Germany in 1892. I was wondering WHERE that would be today. I'm pretty sure on the Spelling (as it is listed as that in other family references)

Thanks

Re: NAKEL, Germany

Robert T. (View posts)
Posted: 18 Mar 2005 1:48AM GMT
Kristen, there were three different Nakels in Germany -- one in what was until 1918 the Prussian province of Posen, one in what was until
1918 the Prussian province of West Prussia (in German: Westpreussen), and one in what was until 1945 the Prussian province of Silesia
(in German: Schlesien). All three of these eastern German provinces belong to Poland today. Needless to say, before you can proceed, you are going to have to determine which of the three Nakels your great-great-grandparents were from.

You left some vital information out of your query, particularly the names of your great-great-grandparents. Also, you failed to mention where they settled in the U.S. and what their religious denomination was.

Robert

Posted: 18 Mar 2005 1:56PM GMT
Edited: 21 Apr 2005 4:29PM GMT
Surnames: Drews
Thanks for the info about NAKEL.

Ludwig "Louis" DREWS b. 3/1856
his wife Paulina Augusta ? b. 8/1857
children-
Emil Edward Sr. b. 5/8/1879
M. Otto b. abt. 1880
Robert R. b. 11/1882
Ernest Paul b. 12/8/1888
Hedwig b. 9/1890

The above mentioned all where from NAKEL, Germany. They immigrated in May 1892 aboard the ship OLDENBURG, landing in Baltimore. They then Settled in Oconto Co., Wisconsin to be near most of his family that was alraedy there. After being in Oconto Co., They had two more children-

Anna b. 8/1893
Lydia b. 8/1897

They all lived in WIsconsin. They were all LUTHERANS!!

Hope this answers your questions.

Thanks for you help.

Posted: 5 Feb 2012 1:02AM GMT
I don't know if this will help you, but as I was researching a branch of mine, I found a relative who also came from Nakel, Germany into Baltimore at the same time. His official Naturalization records read, "Nakel, Netza, Posen, Germany." I see that this is an older post, but thought I'd share anyway!
Stacy

Posted: 8 Feb 2012 1:03AM GMT
WOW!! Thanks for tracking me down after all these years! I have done a little more research on NAKEL since i first posted this years ago. NAKEL is in what is currently POLAND. At the time it was Germany. Currently it is called Naklo nad Notecia, Poland.

By the way, what is the family surname of your family from this area. Maybe we might be related!!!

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 11:28AM GMT
Surnames: Wellnitz
Please accept my thx. My maps kept showing Nakol as a city in Germany. My maps were pre-1945. This cleared up a mystery. The old maps list it as Western Prussia. Is that correct?

Posted: 19 Mar 2013 2:17PM GMT
I have just found this very interesting thread - my great grandfather's death was just noted as 'born Nakel, Germany'

He was Bernard Johannes SCHULTZ & he & his brother (who I think was an Ernest) arrived in SOUTH AFRICA around 1890 - unfortunately I know little else of him.

How would I go about obtaining any other information. I understand he was around 18 years old when he left Germany.

Thanks

Posted: 21 Mar 2013 2:23PM GMT
I have to admit that I have not done much research of records in this area. Mostly because records changed hands so many times, who knows where they are now! I do know that their are some records that have been microfisched and are available thru your local family history center, but I have not personally gone through any of them. I guess I keep getting sidetracked by things that are easier to follow:)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions