Search for content in message boards

Church Records

Church Records

Peg (View posts)
Posted: 24 May 2002 4:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 Mar 2006 4:58PM GMT
I have records from Trinity Church, Hewlett and photocopies from Woodmere and Lawrece Methodist church parish records with following names plus others:

Albro, Abram, Bedell. Pearsall, Bohrer, Bowker, Brower. Carman, Coe, Coles, Combs, Craft, DeMott, Feil, Finucan, Frost, Fyfe, Hendrickson, Hewlett, Hicks, Ike, Jackson. Johnson, Jones, Kiles, Kimball, Kirk, Langdon, Montross, Mott, Murray, Pearsall, Prttit, Rhinehart, Rider, Ryder, Ruck, Sauer, Seaman, Smith, Sprague, Stringham, Van Wickler, Vandewater plus the church records.

Peg peggeenels@aol.com

Re: Church Records

Thomas A. Murray (View posts)
Posted: 24 May 2002 5:57PM GMT
Edited: 9 Mar 2006 4:41PM GMT
Hi Peg,
At first guess, I would suspect you mean Trinity Anglican Church, Kingston, Kingston Parish, Kings Co., New Brunswick; but I am not certain of that. The surnames you mention, especially Albro, Bedell, Pearsall, Carman, Coe, Hewlett, Hicks, Mott, Pettit, Seaman, Smith, Sprague (or Spragg), were early settlers (ca. 1647-1650) on Long Island, New York. They were especially found in and around Hempstead; but also in Jamaica, Long Island, Newtown, the Hamptons, etc. By the time of the Revolution, most were part of a hugely extended family, and the appearance of these surnames together is a practical guarantee that not only do they share common origins, but that most will be cousins of some degree. Many of the third and fourth generation of these families went to Westchester County, New York in the early to mid 1700's. Many of their children and grandchildren were Loyalists. Scattered to British North America, it is not at all unusual to find areas of early Canada populated by the same families which founded and built the American colonies only to lose their possessions to new-comers who saw the Revolution as an opportunity to accuse them of being suspected 'traitors'; an accusation which was usually followed by immediate reprisals without trial or evidence.
Kings County, in New Brunswick, was definitely one of these areas where large number of Westchester County and Long Island Americans settled. The Motts you note are almost definitely members of the Hempstead family, and part of a much larger family now spread around the world.

Thomas

Peg (View posts)
Posted: 25 May 2002 12:23AM GMT
Edited: 9 Mar 2006 4:41PM GMT
That was a very good discription of the early settlers of Long Island. Yes, my families were among the Loyalists. Those were difficult times with families splitting their allegience. My Montross family originated in Sleepy Hollow and those people were among the revolutionaries but my Long Island Montross family were Loyalists. We were fortunate not having anyone driven out of New York as many were.

My families have been in the Rockaways since the 1700s. The Rockaways consisted of the peninsula and northward to include Inwood(Westville), Lawrence, Cedarhurst, Woodmere (Woodsburgh)and Hewlett. These records cover that area and beyond. Springfield, Fosters Meadow, Valley Stream, Rockville Centre, Near Rockaway,Brookfield, Baldwin, and Freeport people somtimes married there there too.
I don't know if babies were baptized from that far away because there are no place names on baptismal records.

I have more records to copy but would look up names on baptism or marriage records.

Peg

Peg (View posts)
Posted: 25 May 2002 12:28AM GMT
Edited: 9 Mar 2006 4:43PM GMT
I believe that I failed to tell you that I was speaking of Trinity Church in Hewlett, Nassau County. I had written Abrams -Rockaway in the search so thought I was in my own back-.

Peg yard

Posted: 25 May 2002 12:59AM GMT
Edited: 9 Mar 2006 4:44PM GMT
That does sound interesting. What period do these records cover, and do you plan posting any?

Thomas

Peg (View posts)
Posted: 25 May 2002 1:11AM GMT
Edited: 9 Mar 2006 4:44PM GMT
Clay Abrams offered to post them on his web page but they are incomplete and need dates in some cases or missing data from my poor photocopying.

If you have names that you are searching, I will look them up in the records that I have.

I will send the Abrams to Clay to add to his site.

would you be a Springfield or Rockaway Murray?

Peg

peg (View posts)
Posted: 25 May 2002 1:13AM GMT
Edited: 9 Mar 2006 4:45PM GMT
Years 1858to 1820s with gaps in records. I have most of early ones.

P

Posted: 25 May 2002 1:15AM GMT
Edited: 9 Mar 2006 4:42PM GMT
Ah yes, Sleepy Hollow, made famous by Irving, and more recently the subject of a rather strange movie. I do not attempt to follow many of these families, generally confining myself to Flewellings Flewwellins, etc.; even though many are closely related, and some even ancestors on my father's side (i.e, the Strang, Purdy, Wright, Budd, Haines, Ogden families, mostly from Rye; which, in turn, are connected to the Fowlers, Tompkins, Hortons, Haights, Knapps, Wetmores, Merritts on my mother's side; and these are connected to the Long Island families who went to Westchester Co.). If I didn't limited myself, the complexities would drive me quite mad. I did know enough to recognize Tim Burton's usage of names which came close enough to actual persons as to possibly create some ill-feeling amongst their descendants. The portrayal of Katrinka Van Tassell as a pale blonde (presumably as a result of the Nieuw Nederlander name) in the face of this attempt at 'accuracy' is amusing, as the Van Tassell daughters, while often great beauties, were usually olive-skinned and raven-haired.

Posted: 25 May 2002 5:17AM GMT
Thanks, Peg, but the Flewellings left Long Island by the early 1730's. One of the problems with Hempstead is that there was rarely a clergyman present, and therefore scant church records before the early 1700's. Pretty much all of my colonial ancestors were in Canada by 1783.
You might think about posting them with what you have, identify your source and invite others to add or amend. I appreciate the offer and especially that you have bothered to check the records rather than accept the information at face value. There is much on the internet which needs careful rechecking.
The Murrays in my family came from Scotland to up-state New York, to Nova Scotia in 1783, then to Prince Edward Island, then New Brunswick. Again, there were a number of Westchester Co. families in the places they settled; especially from Rye. As a result, my parents have many cousins in common, but no ancestors in common. The Strangs, Purdys, Wrights, Haines, and their relatives are connected to both sides. My father's family (at least in general) has several genealogists plugging away, which is why I decided to concentrate on my mother's family.
I did try the Murrays in various places in New York, and at least was able to eliminate several families (i.e, the Quaker Murrays.) The problem was that they kept using the given name, John. So I had to check every John Murray. Most annoying.
If you do see Flewellings, I would be interested as some stayed in Westchester County, and may have wandered over to Long Island.

Thomas

peg (View posts)
Posted: 25 May 2002 3:15PM GMT
I have never seen the name Flewelling as best I can remember but will look for it as I search. My Murray relations were the fighting Scotch-Irish who settled on L.I. in 1700s so they are out.

Enjoyed chatting with you. A good historian is always worth reading.

Peggee
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions