Search for content in message boards

McMannis, Walter E.

McMannis, Walter E.

Posted: 26 Aug 2010 4:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Wish to find information on Walter E. McMannis,born 1873 in Wayne Co. Ohio., son of Austin McMannis and Priscilla Lawrence. He died in 1947, and is buried in Wilcox cemetery, Maple Grove Twp., Barry County. I have a marriage record for Walter, and Sarah E. Shaw. Sarah was born in Canada in 1899. They were married on Dec. 28, 1923 in Kalamazoo. Any information on this couple would be most appreciated. I am hoping to find an obit. for Walter. Sarah was the youngest sister of my grandfather Harry Shaw, of Markdale, Ont.

Many thanks, C. Martin, Owen Sound, Ont.

Re: McMannis, Walter E.

Posted: 31 Aug 2010 8:09PM GMT
I'm not related to this family.

1900 -
Name: Walter E Mc Mannis
[Walter E Mcmannis]
Home in 1900: Johnstown, Barry, Michigan
Birth Date: Feb 1873
Birthplace: Ohio
Race: White
Relationship to Head of House: Head
Father's Birthplace: Ohio
Mother's Birthplace: Ohio
Spouse's name: Ella R
Marriage Year: 1896
Marital Status: Married
Years Married: 4

Walter E Mc Mannis 27
Ella R Mc Mannis 25, 1/75 Mi - 3 children
Carl L Mc Mannis 3, 1/97 MI
Bernice M Mc Mannis 1, 8/98 MI
Clifford L Mc Mannis 3/12, 2/00 MI

1910 -
Name: Walter Mcmannus [note spelling]
[Walter Mcmainus]
Age in 1910: 37
Estimated birth year: abt 1873
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birth Place: Ohio
Mother's Birth Place: Ohio
Spouse's name: Ella Mcmannus
Home in 1910: Kalamo, Eaton, Michigan
Marital Status: Married

Walter Mcmannus 37, Oh - farmer
Ella Mcmannus 35, MI - 7 children
Carl Mcmannus 13, MI
Bernice Mcmannus 11, MI
Clifford Mcmannus 10, MI
Christin Mcmannus 8, MI
Bertha Mcmannus 7, MI
Clair Mcmannus 5, MI
Grace Mcmannus 3, MI

1920 -
Name: Walter E Mcmannis
Home in 1920: Battle Creek Ward 2, Calhoun, Michigan
Estimated birth year: abt 1873
Relation to Head of House: Self (Head)
[Head]
Father's Birth Place: Ohio
Mother's Birth Place: Ohio
Marital Status: Widowed
[Widow]
Sex: Male
Home owned: Own
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes

Walter E Mcmannis 47, OH - carpenter @ U.S. Army Camp Custer
Clinton E Mcmannis 18, MI
Clair ? Mcmannis 14, MI
Grace B Mcmannis 13, MI
Clayton D Mcmannis 8, MI [1912]

1930 - cannot locate any member of the Mcmannis family

marriage record -
Groom's Name: Walter E. Mcmannis
Groom's Race:
Groom's Age: 50 years
Groom's Birth Date: 1873
Groom's Birthplace: Wayne Co., Ohio
Bride's Name: Sarah E. Shaw
Bride's Race:
Bride's Age: 34 years
Bride's Birth Date: 1889
Bride's Birthplace: Canada
Marriage Type:
Marriage Date: 28 Dec 1923
Marriage Place: Kalamazoo, Kalamazoo, Michigan
Groom's Father: Austin Mcmannis
Groom's Mother: Priscilla Lawrence
Bride's Father: George Shaw
Bride's Mother: Harriet Pennington
Groom's Marital Status:
Groom's Previous Wife:
Bride's Marital Status:
Bride's Previous Husband:
Film Number: 2342755
Frame Number:
Digital Folder Number: 4210119
Image Number: 554
Reference Number: v 4 p 13 rn 22780
Collection: Michigan Marriages, 1868-1925

Posted: 31 Aug 2010 11:25PM GMT
Thank you so much for all of this information. With luck maybe someone will know of his marriage to Sarah, where they lived etc.

Thank you again.
Colleen

Posted: 2 Sep 2010 12:44PM GMT
You are correct, they were married in Kalamazoo and the record indicates his residence was Battle Creek. You need to be researching in Calhoun Co., not Barry Co. You can follow the vital records section of this very useful site
http://kalamazoogenealogy.org/ to find the record of their marriage. WHL

Posted: 3 Sep 2010 1:09AM GMT
Thank you for your reply. I posted a message for Barry county as Walter and his wife Ella are buried in Wilcox cemetery in Maple Grove Twp. I am hoping that someone would see it and might have some info. they could share.

Also, thank you for your time and effort in posting the many obits. Your hard work is most appreciated. I may get lucky one day and come across some of my family.

Colleen

Posted: 23 Oct 2010 3:42AM GMT
Hi! I think we have a connection. I'm not 100% sure as sometimes this stuff gets me confused,ha!! I have searched the Lawrence family name due to my gr. grandmother being Clara Mable Lawrence. She was third of 11 children. She was born in Assyria Twp.,Barry Co.,MI. Her father was Franklin E. Lawrence and her mother was Sarah E. Lawrence. On grandma Clara's application to get her social security number she stated her mother's name as Elizabeth Lawrence however. This troubled me as it asks for the mother's maiden name,right. I asked my Aunt Barbara,(Clara's youngest and only living child) about it,and she said her mom got confused. Aunt Barbara however has told me that her grandma Sarah Elizabeth's given name was also Lawrence. Her having the same maiden name as married name makes searching fun,ha!! But Aunt Barbara shared some pictures of some Mcmannis's with me. I am not sure if they belong to Franklin or to Elizabeth,but I feel they belong to Franklin's side. I found an 1880 census record for Baltimore Twp.,Barry Co.,MI. It lists A.McMannis as head, white male,50 yrs. old born in Ohio,he's a farmer,both his parents are born in Penn.. Priscilla McMannis is his wife,white female,41 yrs. old born in Ohio. Her father was born in Penn.,and her mother born in Virginia.Martha McMannis is their daughter,white female age 12,born in MI.Viola M. McMannis is an 8 yr.old white female born in Ohio. Walter E. McMannis is a 7 yr.old white male born in Ohio. John C. McMannis is a 2 yr.old white male born in MI. There is a Frank Lawrence listed as a step son. He is a 17 yr.old white male born in Ohio,he works on farm. Elmer McMannis is a son,27 yr. old white male born in Ohio and is a laborer. I have found a marriage record for Walter E. McMannis b.1873 in Wayne Co.,Ohio married to Ella R. Herrington on Nov.27,1895 in Banfield Twp.,Barry Co.,MI. She being born 1875 in MI. He is 22 and she is 20. Her father is listed as D. Herrington and her mother is unknown. Also I have found a marriage record for Walter E. McMannis dated Dec.28,1923 to Sarah E. Shaw in Kalamazoo,MI. He is 50,she is 34 born in Canada in 1889. Her father is George Shaw and her mother is Harriet Pennington. I believe these 2 Walter's to be the same don't you?

Posted: 27 Oct 2010 2:29AM GMT
I know what you mean by confusing. I also have found the marriage record for Walter and Sarah Eliz. Walter is buried with Ella in Michigan. Sarah Eliz. eventually married Elmer Adams. e-mail me directly and we can compare notes easier as this is a long story. j.martin@bmts.com

Colleen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic