Search for content in message boards

Mount Pleasant Cemetery Geneseo

Mount Pleasant Cemetery Geneseo

Posted: 16 Jun 2006 3:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: POWELL, NICHOLS, PARISH, COLLINS
Does anyone know who has the records for Mount Pleasant Cemetery on Lakeville Road east of Geneseo? There is a website about the cemetery done by Andrew Burdette back in 1998. He lists the surnames on gravestones and two caught my eye, POWELL and NICHOLS next to each other. I am wondering if these are the ancestors I have been searching for. Sally POWELL (nee PARISH, 1st wife of Jesse) next to her daughter Lucy NICHOLS (wife of Orrin). Sally would have died before 1850, Jesse died 15 May 1865 and Lucy NICHOLS in December 1876.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~nyliving/cemetery/mtpleasant.htm

Thanks
Michele Bender

Re: Mount Pleasant Cemetery Geneseo

Posted: 1 Jul 2006 6:03PM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Edited: 1 Jul 2006 6:05PM GMT
Surnames: Milliman
Try emailing geneseohistorydude@hotmail.com. I guess he's the town historian. I haven't contacted him in about 2 years but he helped me find information about the Millimans in the same cemetery. Good luck.

Posted: 2 Jul 2006 8:30PM GMT
Surnames: POWELL, PARISH, NICHOLS, COLLINS
Thanks for your reply. I did contact Mr. Parish, the historian for Geneseo about this. However a very kind gentleman on the mailing list advised me to contact the County Historian's office in Mt. Morris. They were very helpful and able to tell me that my ancestors are buried in Mt. Morris Cemetery.
http://www.co.livingston.state.ny.us/historia.php
County Historian, 5 Murray Hill Drive, Mt Morris 14510 (585)243-7955
Office Hours are Monday - Friday, 1:00 - 4:30 pm.

Posted: 3 May 2010 2:31PM GMT
Surnames: Nichols, Risdon, Powell, Parish
You listed Jesse Powell first wife as Sally Parish, do you have anything on her parents. I'm researching the Nichols, Risdon, Powell and Parish lines.I'm related to Orrin Nichols and Lucy Powell's son John Harrison Nichols (1859-1941) who settled in Oakland Co., Michigan.
Thank you,
Randy Gray

Posted: 27 May 2010 2:18AM GMT
Surnames: Nichols, Powell, Parish, Collins
Randy,
I am happy to find out where John Nichols went, all I had was his his approximate year of birth. My line is through John's sister Abigail Nichols Collins, who married Emmet Collins.
I believe that Sally's father is Joseph Parish and mother unknown. I was able to determine that Sally Parish is the mother of Lucy Powell Nichols when I found her brother Myron B. Powell's 1900 marriage record at FamilySearch.

Collection: Michigan Marriages, 1868-1925
Marriage Register #3730
Groom's Name: Myron B. Powell
Groom's Age: 77 years
Groom's Birth Date: 1823
Groom's Birthplace: N. Y.
Bride's Name: Ellenor Joslin
Bride's Age: 60 years
Bride's Birth Date: 1840
Bride's Birthplace: Maine
Marriage Date: 07 Jul 1900
Marriage Place: Jonesville, Hillsdale, Michigan
Groom's Father: Jesse Powell
Groom's Mother: Sally Parish
Bride's Father: Asel Hollister
Bride's Mother: E. Kendall
Film Number: 2342515
Image Number: 449

This led me to a book originally published in 1908 by Roswell Parish and later updated by the author's son in 1938. On page 97 it says that a daughter of Joseph Parish married Jesse Powell. [See below]. The 1820 Census in Riga, Genesee County, NY, page 256 has Jesse Powell and one female, both age 16-20 [no children] living doors away from the households of Joseph Parish, Joseph Parish, Jr. and Gilbert Parish.

------------------------------------

New England Parish Families
Descendants of John Parish of Groton, Mass., and Preston, Conn.
Published Rutland, Vt.: Tuttle, 1938, 519 pgs.
Compiled by Roswell Parish, Jr. from notes gathered by his father, Roswell Parish

Excerpt from the book:

xii Private Records - 43. Harvy Parish (J.32116) of Flat Rock, Mich.
Pages 54-55
IV.J32/1. AZARIAH PARISH (Joseph 3, Benjamin 2, John 1), born 1739; died ____.
Children:
1. Joseph Parish
2. Elkanah Parish
3. Azariah Parish
4. William Parish
5. Rhoda Parish
6. Hannah Parish
7. Mary Parish
8. A daughter (probably died young).
References: The above from Harvey Parish, June 8, 1867 (then at Cuylerville, N.Y.), a resident of Flat Rock, Wayne Co., Mich. and son of the above Joseph. I have not yet

(May 1919) identified the family as desendants of John 1, but have reason to suspect the descent as above.

Page 97
V.J.32/11. JOSEPH PARISH (Azaraiah 4, Joseph 3, Benjamin 2, John 1), of Cayuga Co., N.Y., born ____;
died _____; married ______.
Children:
1. Gilbert Parish, b. _____, d._______.
2. Joseph Parish, b. _____, d. before June 1867, m.
Elizabeth Fowles.
3. Warren Parish, went West many years ago.
4. Stephen Parish, went West many years ago.
5. Chester Parish went West many years ago, living
June 1867.
6. Harvy Parish, b. Apr. 8, 1798 and reared in Cayuga Co., m. Polly Streeter.
7. Thomas Parish, b. _____, d._______.
8. A daughter, m. John Carter, d. before June 1867.
9. A daughter, m. Jesse Powell, d. before June 1867.
References: Harvy's 2 letters, 1867.

Page 98 Note: This material is uncertain. "Joseph had a son Roswell, named after Roswell Ayrault, a resident of Cuylerville, N.Y."
[See Page 174, which makes reference to this Roswell Powell mentioned above, being the son of Joseph Parish, Jr.]
----------------------------------------
Page 174
VI.J.32112. JOSEPH PARISH (Joseph 5, Azaraiah 4, Joseph 3, Benjamin 2, John 1), of Cayuga Co., N.Y., born ____;
died before June 1867; married Elizabeth FOWLES, born _____, died _____.
Child:
1. Roswell Parish, b. _____, d._______, "Named after Roswell Ayrault, a resident of Cuylerville, N.Y."
References: p.r. 43.

VIJ.32115. CHESTER PARISH (Joseph 5, Azaraiah 4, Joseph 3, Benjamin 2, John 1), born ____;died_____; married _____.
Chester went West many years ago. He was living in June 1867.
Children:
1. Chester Parish
2. Harvey Parish
3. William Parish
4. Elizabeth Parish
5. Mary Parish
Note: "All children living (1867) in Bloomfied, Oakland Co., Michigan, " according to Harvy Parish, brother of Chester, Sr.

Page 175
VI.32116. HARVY PARISH (Joseph 5, Azaraiah 4, Joseph 3, Benjamin 2, John 1),of Livingston Co., N.Y>, born April 8, 1798, Cayuga Co., N.Y.; died ___;
married Polly STREETER, born _____, died _____.
Children:
1. Pauline Parish
2. Herman Parish
3. Elizabeth Parish
4. Jane Parish
5. Daniel Parish
Notes: Notes: Harvy Parish was b. and bred in Cayuga Co., removed to Genesee Co., (Genesee Flats) in 1811, later to Leicester, Livingston Co. Residence Flat Rock, Wayne Co, Mich. in 1867, was visiting a dau. in Cuylerville, N.Y. in May of that year, all other children living in Michigan.

-------------------------------------------------
[Details of Joseph Parish Jr.'s family- subject of sketch is John Parish, son of Joseph.]
Onondaga's Centennial. Gleanings of a Century. Bruce, Dwight. Boston, MA. (1896)
Family Sketches- page 241
Parish, John, Skaneateles, was born in Mandana, Skaneateles, May 23, 1827, son of Joseph and Betsey Fowles Parish. Joseph, who was a farmer, was born in Cayuga Co., but he went to Ohio where he bought a farm and settled. He served in the war of 1812 and was lieutenant under General Harrison. He was born in 1791 and died. in 1844. John received a common school education in Skaneateles and then learned the trade of building at the age of sixteen. He has worked at that trade for thirty-six years. He has built numerous buildings throughout the county, also in the surrounding counties. He married first, Anna Howlett, who died in 1881. His second. wife was Jennie E. Hatch, widow of Warner A. ; her maiden name was Jennie E. Sperbeck. He has four daughters by his first wife; Adella, wife of W. Cutterback, of Niles. Cayuga Co. ; Amy A., wife of G. P. Lawrence, of Skaneateles, Hattie M. and Bertha B.
-------------------------------------------------
[Burial location for Orrin Nichols and wife Lucy Powell Nichols and their daughter Abigail Nichols Collins (wife of Emmet Collins).]
Source: Livingston County Historian's Records, Mt. Morris NY. Cemetery Survey.
NICHOLS, Orrin
1909 Died, Born 1821, Buried in Mt. Morris Cemetery, Mt. Morris, Livingston, New York, same stone as Lucy E. Nichols
Source: Livingston County Historian's Records, Mt. Morris NY. Page 245 Cemetery Survey.

NICHOLS, Lucy E.
1876 Died, Born 1820, Buried in Mt. Morris Cemetery, Mt. Morris, Livingston, New York same stone as Orrin Nichols.
Source: Livingston County Historian's Records, Mt. Morris NY. Page 245 Cemetery Survey.

COLLINS, Abigail - Mt. Morris Cemetery, Mt. Morris, Livingston, New York - b. 1844, d. 1881 (On same stone w/Orrin Nichols & Lucy E. Nichols).

Posted: 29 May 2010 11:25PM GMT
thank you for the info on the Parish's it should come in very handy. I did find Myron listed in the 1880 census for Hillsdale Co., MI. I'll have to look for his family in the Hillsdale Cemeteries. I found several of the Nichols in the Hillsdale Cemeteries and Kent Co., Cemeteries. If you should need any of this info, please just ask and send what I have.
Randy

Posted: 4 Jun 2010 1:50AM GMT
Surnames: POWELL, NICHOLS
Randy,

I found Myron Powell's grave by searching this web site:

Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War
National Graves Registration Database
http://www.suvcwdb.org

Powell, Myron B.
Birth: Feb 1822
Death: 18 Sep 1906
Age 84
Civil War- Union
Unit 2, Mounted Rifles, New York, Company A
Wagoneer
Enlisted 2 Jan 1864, Discharged 10 Aug 1865
BORN Mt. Morris, NY; ENL Castile, NY; PROM WAG; TRAN 2 NY MNTRIF CO L;
ABS SICK Detroit, MI; WIFE Lucinda D.
Cemetery Name: Sunset View
Cemetery Street: US-12, Sec 33
Lot: 26
Town: Jonesville
Township: Fayette
County: Hillsdale
Grave Marker- Private Headstone or Family Monument
GAR Post: 219 Michigan
State: Michigan
-----------------------

NICHOLS- The only other information that I have on burials in Hillsdale County is that Orrin NICHOLS Sr. is buried in Pease Cemetery next to daughters Esther and Elizabeth.
Orrin NICHOLS born Dec 9 1797 - Died March 18 1868
Elizabeth HIBBS died June 15 1871
Esther SMITH/FULLER died June 9 1896

Any information that you would like to share on John H. NICHOLS or others in the NICHOLS family would be appreciated.

Michele

Posted: 21 Jun 2010 11:39AM GMT
Surnames: Nichols
Hello Michele,
Having trouble attaching a file. Orrin Nichols daughters, Amelia Wolcott is buried in the Northlawn Cem., Harriet J. Carris is buried in the Somerset Cem., both in Hillsdale Co., Sarah Ann Pepper is buried in the Winegar Cem. in Kent Co., Mi. Orrin Nichols grandson John Harrison is buied in the Oak Grove Cem. in Milford, Oakland Co. is son Bert Nichols is buried in the Lakeview Cem. in Howell, Livingston Co. MI. There seems to be several Orrin Nichols in Hillsdale Co., most of them relate to a Ammon Nichols of Crown Point, NY, related?
Sorry about the file.
Randy

Posted: 17 Apr 2013 1:01AM GMT
Surnames: Nichols, Powell etc
After reading this thread it seems that there is inaccurate information being posted on this subject.

In short Sally Parish is not the mother of Lucy Elizabeth Powell. The error comes with the mistaken identity of Josiah and Jesper or Jasper Powell.

If anybody has any questions please feel free to contact me.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic