Search for content in message boards

LaSalle Parish History Book

LaSalle Parish History Book

Posted: 3 Aug 2003 2:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Aug 2004 1:42PM GMT
I have a copy if anyone would like me to look up a name I would be glad to, but I would encourage everyone interested in this part of the State to purchase a copy, it is a very well put together book by the LaSalle Parish Genealogical Association.

Re: LaSalle Parish History Book

Posted: 14 Jun 2004 3:03AM GMT
Edited: 19 Jun 2004 5:31PM GMT
Hello. I am searching for information on Elias Carter Sr., married to Lucy Duke Stone in early 1800's. Also I am searching for information on Capt. Ephram Goodwin Carter (E.G. Carter) and Capt. Henry Mayo Carter (H.M. Carter) and possibley Capt. Walter M. Carter. Last three men were steamboat captains in Catahoula Parish. They are my ancestors. Maybe it's a long shot but could they possibly be mentioned in your history book?

Thank you,
Karen Spencer
anglys0203@aol.com

Brenda (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jun 2004 10:13PM GMT
Edited: 2 Aug 2004 1:42PM GMT
There is mention of Elias Carter family being members of the Nolley Memorial Unitied Methodist Church from 1809-1812, but buy the turn of the Century they must have moved because they are not members then. And non of the other names are in the book. Many Carters and Stone but not the ones you mentioned.

Posted: 20 Jul 2004 11:28PM GMT
Edited: 20 Nov 2004 9:30PM GMT
looking for ancestors+history of my grandfather jefferson ezell thompson of jena.his wife was ethel simmons thompson floyd died jena aug 1977,93yrs.my mother avis thompson hoover was born in jena 1912,,je thompson died in 1916,17??.he was involved in the dividing of lasalle+catahoula parishes.he was a teacher,principal and clerk of court in jena or harrisonburg?? my mom was a court stenographer in harrison..my grandma's home was down the dirt road by the drive-in and rodeo arena by the culpepper homestead.if you have any info,please contact me. thanks,RON HOOVER DENVER RH7HOOVER@YAHOO.COM

Posted: 26 Oct 2004 4:04PM GMT
Surnames: Valentine, Volentine, Olds, Hailey
Brenda, I ask your favor in looking up the names of my 3G-grandparents, Reuben J. Valentine and Mary Ann Olds. I believe that they lived in the Belah area (where there is a Valentine Road nearby) during the 1800's, and Mary Ann is buried in Belah Cemetery along with her son William J. Valentine and daughter Epsy Valentine Hailey (married to Josephus Hailey).

The names Valentine and Volentine were used interchangeable, so you might find them listed either way.

BTW, do you know the current price of this book and the ordering details?

Thanks for your help,

John Reid
P.O. Box 7164
Libertyville IL 60048

Brenda (View posts)
Posted: 27 Oct 2004 4:37PM GMT
Surnames: Hogg, Pendarvis, Miller
Yes, the name Valentine/Volentine appears many times. The family of John Valentine b. abt. 1800 in S.C.is mentioned. His children are listed as Elisha K.(Doc), Reuben, Carline, William Henry, John, Mary, Julies, Catherine and Davis all b.in LA. and Miss. between 1827 and 1846. Doc d. 2-24-22 and is buried in Chalk Hill Cemetery. There are 18 times that the names come up in the book. I purchased the book two years ago now, I believe from Amazon.com and it was about 30.00. I would be a good investment if you have family in that area, unless you have a family history library close by that might have it. I can make you copies, but it will take some time, I am dealing with an sick mother and do work full time. I will charge you for the copies a Kinkos and postage.

Posted: 27 Oct 2004 5:52PM GMT
Brenda, many thanks for your quick reply, confirming that my Valentine ancestors are included in this book. Let me try to purchase a copy first--if I can't do that, I'll ask your favor to make copies of the pages with their references.

John

Posted: 12 Dec 2004 3:39AM GMT
Surnames: Stapleton, Parker, Olds, Valentine, Volentine
Brenda -

Could you look to see if the names of John Wesley Stapleton & his wife, Nancy Jane Parker, appear in your book?

John Reid, who you spoke with 27-28 Oct 04, just informed me, to my delight, that Nancy Jane Parker was the half sister of Mary Ann Olds who m Reuben J Valentine/Volentine. Their mother, Ann, married 3X and they are the children of her 1st & 2nd husbands.

John tells me that John Wesley & Nancy are buried in the Belah Cemetery in Belah, LaSalle Parish Section A, plots 0-14 and 0-15. Mary Ann Olds Valentine is buried right next to them in plot 0-13.

Thanks in advance for your help. It's kind of you to offer to help others.

Brenda (View posts)
Posted: 12 Dec 2004 11:20PM GMT
Yes, there are several Stapleton Families including John Wesley. Shows he married a Georgiane Jenkins and she d.June 14, 1933. They had 11 children. Willie, Wesley, Rebbeca, Srena, Magie, Twins Elijah and Elisha, John Henry, Ellie, Sarah, and Benjamin. Says all were farmers.

Posted: 28 Apr 2005 10:42PM GMT
Thanks Brenda. That is the Elias Carter I've been researching. Matthew Stone is also mentioned. He was Elias Carter's father-in-law. Elias married his daughter, Lucy Duke Stone. Seems to have been an early founder in Catahoula Parish but can't seem to find out where they are buried. If you have any more information please send my way at anglys0203@aol.com. We have traced Lucy's family back to England and France 1600's. Her uncle, Thomas Carter signed the Decleration of Independance.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic