Search for content in message boards

Seeking information on John S. Lindley (b. abt. 1838, TN)

Seeking information on John S. Lindley (b. abt. 1838, TN)

Posted: 7 May 2002 2:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lindley, Coe, McLellan, Smith, Clegg
Seeking information on John S. Lindley, probably born in TN around 1838. Found in the 1870 census of Cross Co. AR:

John S. Lindley - b. TN age 32
Muscoga (??) - b. AR age 29

Children:
W. W. - b. AR age 8 (male)
S. E. - b. AR age 6 (Female)
J. W. - b. AR age 4 (male)
M. G. - b. AR age 2 - (female)
J. M. - b. AR age 1 month (male)

Any information that you can share will be appreciated. You can contact me directly by e-mail:

forjador@earthlink.net

Re: Seeking information on John S. Lindley (b. abt. 1838, TN)

JoAnne Hoy (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jan 2003 5:51AM GMT
Surnames: Lindley, Johnson,
I am related to John S. Lindley (found in the 1850 cenus Smith township, St. Francis county, AR - printed page #78 family number 579 - in the household of Lucy Lindley NC. - John Lindley 15 born TN) 1860 Census, Smith Township, St. Francis County, AR - printed page 424 family number 249 - listed as planter with wife Museoga A.(?) no children. My great, great grandfather is the W. W. (William Walter) listed in the 1870 census. I have little info in John S. Lindley, but can't find who his parents are. I have info on brother and sisters of William Walter Lindley, etc.

Love to share info

Posted: 14 May 2003 5:36AM GMT
JoAnne,
I have James M. Lindly (b. June 1826) and Sarah M. Felts (b. Mar 1830) as parents of a John S. Lindley, and born Abt. 1864... I am related to his brother Thomas Agustus (Guss) Lindley. Madeline

Posted: 9 Jun 2003 8:20PM GMT
Edited: 29 Jun 2003 4:36PM GMT
Surnames: Lindley, Felts, Stuart
We have two different John S. Lindleys here. John Sanford Lindley, the brother of Agustus, was the son of James M. & Sarah (Felts) Lindley. He married Alice Moore who died in a state institution in S. Dakota. Anyway, he was a doctor and worked for the Dept. of the Interior in Indian Territory. I have more info on this if your interested. I had a mishap with my data and can't put my hands on his birthdate at the moment.
John S. Lindley b. about 1838 married Muskoge (spelling?) and was the father of William Walter, Annie E., James Wesley, M. Georgia and John M.. He later married Eliza Stuart. I don't have info as to who his father was but I believe his father may be a brother of James M. Lindley, John Sanford Lindley's father.
It gets confusing because there are so many family members with the same name. I'll be glad to share info and would appreciate any help in figuring it all out. I just need to do some re-input, ugh. Hope this helps--
Willina

Posted: 15 Jun 2003 4:36PM GMT
Surnames: John S. Lindley
I was so glad to find your post. I am the great grand daughter of Annie E. Lindley. I have been trying to find out what her parents names were and where they were born. Annie Lindley, and Walter are buried in Harris Chapel Cemetary in Wynne, Arkansas. My grandmother was Gertie Marie Mauppin she was Annie's daughter.

JoAnne Hoy (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jun 2003 5:55PM GMT
Surnames: Lindley,Barnes, Johnson,
I am related to John S. Lindley who was born about 1838. I found him listed in the 1850 census in St. Francis Co., AR with a Lucy Lindley, 56 place of birth NC (mother?), Sarah Lindley 30 born NC, Carol Head 25 born TN, John Lindley 15 b.TN, Mary F. Lindley 6 B. TN and James W. Head 11/12 B AR. His second wife apprears to to the sister of Muskoge (sp?) Barnes, daughter of John Barnes b. VA 1794,according to the same 1850 census. I, however, am unable to get back further than this. I did find a Lucy Lindley in the index for TN as a head of household in 1840 census, but ?? I haven't researched further. I am related as follows:
John Lindley, William Walter Lindley, Jim Lindley, Bonnie Lindley Stokes, JoAnne Stokes Hoy.

I found some infor on Lindley family by way of Quaker Church records compiled by Leonardo Andrea, but I don't know how or if we are tied into these records.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

JoAnne Hoy (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jun 2003 6:28PM GMT
We are related by way of John S. Lindley your relative Annie E. Lindley is sister to William Walter Lindley son of John S. Lindley. There was a family reunion at Newport, AR of the James Wesley Lindley brother of Annie and W. W. The other children were M. Georgia Lindley and John M. Lindley. I have lots to share - contact me at rhoy@cts.com

Posted: 29 Jun 2003 5:16PM GMT
Surnames: Lindley, Hadley
Yes, the Lindley family found in the Quaker records are our descendents. Jonathan, the youngest son of Thomas and Ruth (Hadley) Lindley, was the leader of the Quaker Expedition from Orange County, North Carolina that went into Indiana Territory in 1811 and established a Quaker settlement in Southern Indiana (later became Orange County, Indiana).
I am a descendant of John Sanford Lindley's brother, Thomas Agustus Lindley.

Posted: 4 Sep 2013 12:30AM GMT
My name is Lloyd Lindley, not sure if im from the same line, but it is interesting as i have a younger brother named Augustus Lindley. here is my line:
Samuel Prather LINDLEY
Birth: March 19, 1887
Craighead, Arkansas, USA
Death: May 4, 1937 (50)
Craighead, Arkansas, USA
Immediate Family:
Son of William LINDLEY and America COOK
Husband of Mary
Father of Lloyd LINDLEY; Fay LINDLEY; Aubrey LINDLEY and Esther LINDLEY
Brother of Virginia LINDLEY; John LINDLEY; Parlee LINDLEY; Elizabeth Lindley; Mary LINDLEY and 2 others

If you have any information please email me at lloydlindley@rocketmail.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions