Search for content in message boards

MCDERMOTT O'HERRON

MCDERMOTT O'HERRON

Posted: 11 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Jan 2004 1:31PM GMT
I'm looking for info on Terence MCDERMOTT who was married to Mary (Margaret) O'HERRON. He had a sizable farm just south of the town of Zwingle. He had a fist full of kids one of whom was John. I'm trying to find info on this side as well. I know Terence died March 1899, but do not know what became of his wife. His son John married Grace KEMIS sometime in the mid 1890's but I have no idea when or where. Any info on any of them would be a windfall!! Thanks- MJB

McDermott

Posted: 7 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 2 Dec 2001 6:12PM GMT
Surnames: McDermott, Fleming
Mary, I have McDermott is my list of Jackson County surnames. The father of my family is John Henry Sr. born May 21, 1828, married Anna Fleming in 1859. They had 11 children. One was Mary born May 1, 1866. She married a John Markey in February, 1890. Doubt it is the same Mary, but may very well be of the same McDermott family. I have no siblings for my John Henry.
Grabbing a straws.

Mary Jane McDermott Hickson

Posted: 7 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 5 Sep 2002 1:42PM GMT
Surnames: MCDERMOTT, HICKSON, HARRISON
Looking for family history of Mary Jane McDermott Hickson. I'm wondering if Terrence was her father? In the 1860 Jackson County census, a Terrence ( difficult to determine,may be Frances) McDermott,age 36, household was listed p.113 # 742 with wife Margaret,age 30, and children: James,7, Ellen 6, Terrence 4, Catherine 1. These children were born Conn, Wisconsin, Iowa, Iowa. (There was another household there at the time: Page 124, # 870 Thomas Rilley household including Mary McDermott, 10 F, b. Illinois.)My great granmother Mary Jane McDermott was born in Jackson County IA April 16, 1863; married James Hickson Oct 23, 1883 in Maquoketa, IA. Moved to Vermillon SD in 1887. Children: Terry (or Frances T?),Chris, Charles, Jenny (Jane),Mary (Mae), Arthur, Gertrude. Died 1952. I believe Mary Jane McDermott had a sister Ella who married Charlie Harrison. She also may have had a twin sister. Thanks for any info. LS

McDermott - Volkerts

Posted: 24 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 2 Dec 2001 6:12PM GMT
Surnames: Volkerts, Conley, Johnson, McDermott, Krabbenhoff, Jacobs
This list is wonderful.........another find. My grandmother was the oldest sister of your grandmother. My grandmother was Anna Belle or better known to family as Annie. She married Frank Conley, they had two sons, Robert and Alfred. They moved to western Nebraska and finally Colorado. Left Sabula in about 1905, went to and near North Platte, NE. Rosa another sister married Peter Johnson, they two moved to NE. Have lots on both the Volkerts and Mohr family - would love to share with you and your sister. Be in the area the first of May.
Posted: 24 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 17 Jul 2002 1:00PM GMT
Surnames: McDermott
John H. McDermott and Anna Fleming were also my Great-Grandparents. Please contact me with any other information about this family line.

Re: McDermott - Volkerts

Posted: 16 Jul 2002 6:58PM GMT
Surnames: McDermott
I am searching for information on my great great grandmother, Margaret Elizabeth McDermott, who was born in Sabula, Iowa on January 12, 1862. She married James Martin Connealy on May 20, 1883 in West Point, Nebraska, and died October 10, 1948 in Decatur, Nebraska. I would appreciate information on Margaret's ancestry.

Dorothy (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jul 2002 10:01PM GMT
Bill - I can help you a bit on your Margaret. Margaret is a sister to my great uncle, John McDermott who married Louisa Volkerts. I will forward you an address of a cousin who is much in relationship and will be of more help than I am I am sure. But, here is what I have. I have the spelling of Connnealy, different - Conley. I know there were people with that spelling in Jackson County - so you might check that too.
Margaret and James were married May 20, 1883 and were the parents of 13 children.
Margaret was born January 12, 1862, is the daughter of John Henry McDermott and Anna Flemming. She is one of 11 children.
John Henry was born May 21, 1828 and died August 16, 1877 at Sabula, Jackson County, Iowa. He is buried in the Catholic Cemetery in Sabula. Anna Flemming was born May 21, 1842 and died December 3, 1916. They were married April 15, 1859.
Their children were
Patrick born February 24, 1859 - date was verified at the Historical Society in Maquoketa, IA. Patrick died January 30, 1930 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Then Margaret, born January 12, 1862,
Michael born June 21, 1863, never married - dates from Historical Society, died June 28, 1930, Seattle, KIng County, WA.
Hanna born January 12, 1865, in Sabula, she died February 29, 1940, Preston, Jackson County, IA. She is buried in the Preston Catholic Cemetery. Married Thomas Holroy on March 30, 1891, no children were born to this union.
Mary born May 1, 1866, married John Markey February 20, 1890.
Anna born May 7, 1870 at Sabula, died January 25, 1944 at Dabuque, Iowa, is buried Lawler Cemetery, Lawler, Chicksaw County, Iowa. She married John Lynch on December 25, 1900. I question the birth year,,,,
John (used Henry as a middle name, but daughter-in-law says it is not his given name) was born January 28, 1870 in Jackson County, Iowa, died May 13, 1950 at Sabula. Is buried in the Sabula Catholic Cemetery. Married Louisa Volkerts in Hastings, NE on January 25, 1905. (this is my connection to the McDermott family - Louisa is a sister to my grandmother) John and Louisa were the parents of three
children.
Agnes was born September 20, 1874, died December 7, 1931, married Richard Lynch on April 14, 1891(birth date may be wrong - society has September 21, 1871)
Katherine was born May 14, 1875, Jackson County, IA, died December 31, 1956 at Sabula. Married Frank Adams on November 30, 1898, they wre the parents of three children. She is buried at St. Peters Catholic Cemetery in Sabula.
Lucy was born November 21, 1876, died April 5, 1931. Married Albert (Allie) Henfrey, they were the parents of seven children.
Clotiltia (Cloy) was born July 28, 1878 at Union Township, Jackson County, IA, died February 27, 1942 at Sabula, married Ira Adams, no children were born to this union.
Most of this information was obtained from records at the Jackson County Historical Society in Maquoketa.
Here is the addres of John McDermott, grandson of John and Louisa (Volkerts) McDermott jmmcdermott@mmm.com
I hope this has been of help to you. I would like to have what information you have on any of the family to expand my Jackson County information.
Looking forward to hearing from you

William Connealy (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jul 2002 2:56AM GMT
Dorothy,

Thank you so much for the information. I am just beginning to assemble information on the family, and may not be of much help, but if you are interested, I can give you what I know of the children of Margaret and James. They are:
George Patrick Connealy, born March 20, 1884;
William Connealy, born in 1886;
Honora Ann Connealy, born January 1, 1887;
Mary Eleanor Connealy, born August 18, 1888;
Terence Edward Connealy, born May 31, 1891 (my grandfather);
James Connealy, born 1892;
Donal Connealy, born 1894;
Patrick Archibald Connealy, born March 17, 1896;
Margaret Connealy, born February 23, 1898;
Joseph Vincent Connealy, born November 6, 1900; and
Louis Francis Connealy, born February 22, 1904.

I also have some old photos of the family (undated, but probably taken around the turn of the century) that I have scanned and can send you if interested.

Finally, you may be interested in the following article taken from the Decatur Nebraska newspaper in 1933 regarding the 50th wedding anniversary of James and Margaret:
"Article from Decatur News on May 25, 1933: MARRIED 50 YEARS. MR. & MRS J.M. CONNEALY CELEBRATE GOLDEN WEDDING. All the Family and Many Other Relatives and Friends Participate.
Last Sunday, May 21, marked the 50th Wedding Anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. J.M. Connealy who have lived in and aroung this community nearly all of their lives.
More than one hundred friends and relatives called during the day to pay their respects and extend congratulations to this estimable couple who have shared the hardships, the joys and sorrows together along life's rugged pathway for the past 50 years and have apparently came through victorious as both look hale and hearty, despite the fact their hair has silvered with the passing years.
Mr. Connealy came to Decatur when but nine years old, and Mrs. Connealy (the former Margaret McDermott of Sabula, Ia.) has been here 51 years. They were married at West Point, Nebr. 50 years ago, driving from here in a spring wagon. They made their home on a farm west of Decatur for 40 years, which they still own, and for the past 10 years they have resided in town.
They are the parents of 12 children, 11 of whom are living and were present at the Anniversary, namely: Ted, George and Mrs. Mayme Connealy of Decatur, Donall of Portal, N.D., James of Mineral Center, Minn., Wm of Del Rio, Texas, Louis of Chugwater, Wyoming, Joe of Lincoln, Archie and Mrs. Margaret McMullin of Lyons and Nora of Rosalie.
This was the first time since before the World War that the entire family had been together for a reunion.
A sumptous wedding dinner was served at the noon hour. Other guests were: Mr. and Mrs. Jim Burns, Mr. and Mrs. Paul Calnon, and Mrs. Neil Eckleen of Lyons, Mr. and Mrs. Emmit Rossiter of Walthill, Mr. and Mrs. Richard Coyle of Wakefield, J E Connealy and Frances Connealy of Sioux City, IA. Mrs. Jim Burus, a sister and J.E. Connealy a brother of JM Connealy are the only living relatives left from his immediate family.
The family attended services at the Catholic Church in the morning. A choir composed of Donald, Archie and Joe Connealy Harold McMullin and Mrs. Richard Coyle rendered several lovely selections after which Father Berer requested the honored couple to come forward where he spoke especially to them and of their many years together. At this time the two week old son of Mr. and Mrs. Ted Connealy and grandson of the JM Connealy was christened, Donald Martin.
The afternoon at the Connealy home was spent reminiscing and singing old familiar tunes, and especially the favorite of Mr. Connealy, "When You and I Were Young, Maggie." When the sentimental selections caused the group to smile thru tears, they would suddenly swing into that ever popular number "Hail, Hail the Gangs All Here".
The couple received several 5 Dollar Gold pieces, beautiful Congratulatory Cards, several other gifts, mostly from the family.
A large wedding cake made by Mrs. Max Lambert, which stood perhaps 3 ft in height, and decorated suitable for the occasion proved an additional attraction. Mrs. Jim Burns of Lyons was the donor of a large Gold cake.
During the visiting hours cake and coffee was served to all who called.
Thus May 21, 1933 marked the 50th Wedding Anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. J.M. Connealy. The day was ideal, the celebration was carried out in full detail and we join their countless friends in wishing them more years of wedded life and happiness."

The baby, Martin, who was baptized at the Mass happens to be my father, Martin Donald, who was born on May 10, 1933.

Although I don't have much in the way of older generations, I can provide more details on descendents if you are interested. You may also contact me by phone (I live in Phoenix, and my number is listed). Again, thanks for the information.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic