Search for content in message boards

Re: NORRIS

Herbert S. Norris (View posts)
Posted: 10 Feb 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query

Who are the parents of my 3rd great grandmother, identified as:

Priscilla Temperance Norris, born about 1750 (+,-) in Maryland? (Thomas Norris and Averilla Scott), (Joseph Norris, and Mary ___), or (an unidentified third family)?

The earliest documented date, where I have found the subject name listed, is 21 October 1911. A great granddaughter listed Priscilla Temperance Norris as the spouse of her qualifying Revolutionary War ancestor, Aquila
Norris. Ref.: DAR application #89402. Note: Priscilla is identified as the first spouse of Aquila (a.k.a. Aquilla) Norris (son of Thomas Norris and Elizabeth McComas) and the mother of all eleven of his children.

I am listing various documents, in published date sequence, that I have researched in my unsuccessful attempt answer subject query.

"The Norris Family of Maryland by Thomas M. Myers", (1916). Myers lists Aquilla Norris as a son of Thomas. There is one Temperance Norris listed in Myers publication and several Priscilla Norris's, none are linked to either Aquila or subject Temperance.

"The Norris family of Maryland and Virginia, Genealogy of Thomas Norris, 1361-1930" by Harry Alexander Davis, (1943) This unpublished typescript in the Library of Congress. Shows, on page 45, Joseph Norris, born: Feb 20 1705 married Mary ___ before 1735. Davis does list Priscilla Temperance, born Feb 2, 1753, as a child of Joseph and Mary. On pages
347, 348, and 349, is Davis' version of the family of Aquilla Norris and Priscilla Temperance Norris.

"Kentucky Descendants of Thomas Norris of Maryland 1630-1953 and Allied Families" by Gertrude Cleghorn Josserand. (1953) This publication shows, on page 5, that Thomas Norris, born Dec 26, 1716 married Averilla Scott and shows Priscilla Temperance to be their daughter. On pages 86
Josserand lists the family of Aquila Norris.

"Revolutionary Patriots of Harford County, Maryland 1775 - 1783", page 167 by Henry C. Peden, Jr., M.A. (1985) Peden lists Aquila Norris twice, once as NORRIS, Aquila, of Thomas, Son of Thomas Norris and Elizabeth McComas,. and second as NORRIS, Aquila, Born c. 1750. Died 1812.
Married: Priscilla Temperance Norris. This name comes from either, DAR Patriot Index, Vol. I, page 498 and/or Gaius Marcus Brumbaughs' publication: Maryland Records: Colonial, Revolutionary, County and Church from Original Sources Vol. II.

In the same publication, page 169, Mr. Peden lists the family of Joseph Norris and Mary __________. son of John Norris and Elizabeth Parsons.

Note: Mr. Peden does not identify Joseph's daughter Temperance Norris with subject Priscilla Temperance Norris as does Mr. Davis.

"Baltimore County Families, 1659 - 1759" by Robert Barnes, (1988)published by Genealogical Publishing Co., Baltimore Md. 1989. In this book the author wrote the following note at the beginning of the NORRIS section, and I quote: "THE NORRIS FAMILY has been the subject of Thomas M. Myers'' The Norris Family of Maryland), and Henry A. Davis' unpublished typescript on the Norris Family, in the Rare Book Room at the Library of Congress in Washington. Unfortunately, much of the Davis multi-volume work is undocumented, and thus must be used with care." Barnes did not write about subject family except he lists Aquila as the son of THOMAS NORRIS (19), on page 473.

Mr. Herbert S. Norris e-mail: herbsn@tscnet.com
236 NW Wildwood Lane
Bremerton, WA 98311-9125

Researching: Norris, Berge, Appleby, Sargent, Emmert, Pell, Miller, Thompson, Pursell/Purcell, Harbeck, Russell, plus other allied family surnames.

Mr. Herbert S. Norris (View posts)
Posted: 22 Feb 1998 12:00PM GMT

Hello Cousin Margaret,

I thank you for responding to my Query of Feb. 10 1998, posted on the Harford County Md. Query Forum. You and I are related through our common male line ancestor EDWARD NORRIS and his spouse MARY FREEMAN. Our male Norris lineage splits between EdÂ’s and MaryÂ’s children John and Thomas. Through Norris family inter-marriages and lack of documented proof documents our blood lines become kind of muddled after Ed and MaryÂ’s generation. My records show that your Aquila Norris is Aquila Norris (of Edward) a Captain in the Harford Co. Militia, while mine is Aquila (a.k.a. Aquilla) Norris (of Thomas), a private in Captain TaylorÂ’s No. 7. A one year home guard unit.

1) Edward Norris and Mary Freeman, are the parents of JOHN NORRIS (your line) and THOMAS NORRIS (my male line).

2) John Norris married Elizabeth Parsons, who is also identified as Elizabeth Capell, (her step father was Capell). John and Elizabeth are the parents of EDWARD NORRIS, Note: John Norris and Elizabeth Parsons are also my female Norris line through either one of their sons, Joseph or Thomas. (The reason for my original query!)

3) Edward Norris married Hannah _?_, daughter of Daniel _?_. They are the parents of AQUILLA NORRIS who is reported to be the person appointed a Captain in the Harford Co. Maryland Militia. (At age 25? Possible!)

4) AQUILA NORRIS and his spouse SARAH NORRIS (daughter of JOHN NORRIS and SUSANNAH BRADFORD), were the parents of SILAS NORRIS.

In the unpublished typescript "Norris Family of Maryland and Virginia by Henry A. Davis" SILAS NORRIS is shown as serving in the war of 1812. He is shown as the father of two sons and two daughters and each in turn are shown as being the parents of three children. No other descendants are listed in subject source. I am sorry to say that I have not researched Silas, so I have no additional information on him except that he married 1st in Baltimore, MD 30 April 1817 Kliza March. She died in March 1818 and married Mary _?_ (Hubbard?) prior to 1820. He died before 1849.

Again, Thanks for responding to my query.

Mr. Herbert S. Norris ~.~.~.~.~ e-mail: herbsn@tscnet.com
236 NW Wildwood Lane
Bremerton, WA 98311-9125

Researching: NORRIS, BERGE, APPLEBY, SARGENT, EMMERT, PELL, MILLER, THOMPSON, PURSELL / PURCELL, HARBECK, RUSSELL, plus other allied family surnames.

Margaret Norris Wilshusen (View posts)
Posted: 22 Feb 1998 12:00PM GMT

Just found your information. I descend from Aquila NORRIS. I joined the DAR on Aquila.
I descend from Aquila's son, Silas C. Norris. The Norris information has been incorrectly printed as Silas went to SC, BUT he went to Camden County, NC.
Silas C. was married in Baltimore, St. Paul's Church.
Daughter born. Wife died. Do not know why/how Silas C. managed to go to Camden Co., NC. Child was left with Aquila. Silas C. married my Mary "Polly" MERCER. Silas C. died in 1830. We traced the family through Silas C.'s War of 1812 records.
I am interested in sharing our info with you.
Margaret Norris Wilshusen

Posted: 16 Mar 1998 12:00PM GMT

Helen,

I personally have no record on a Matilda Jane NORRIS / CORNTHWAITE in Harford Co., MD on my personal database. I have checked the unpublished typescript, "The Norris Family of Maryland and Virginia, Genealogy of Thomas Norris, 1361-1930" by Harry A. Davis. On page 828 there is a Matilda Jane NORRIS listed as a child. She is reported to have been born in Coshocton Co. Ohio in 1867, the third of eight children born to George NORRIS and Margaret _?_. Her Norris lineage is listed as: George(8), Jacob)7), Moses(6), James(5), John(4), Luke(3), John(2), Thomas(1). Note: Subject typescript is not very well documented and some errors have been identified, so use caution when accepting this lineage listing.

I could not find a Matilda Jane NORRIS listed in the book, "Kentucky Descendants of Thomas Norris" by Gertrude C. Josserand, which also contains suspect information.

Hope this information is of some use to you.

Mr. Herbert S. Norris .~.~.~.~.~. e-mail: herbsn@tscnet.com
236 NW Wildwood Lane
Bremerton, WA 98311-9125

Researching: Norris, Berge, Appleby, Sargent, Emmert, Pell, Miller, Thompson, Pursell/Purcell, Harbeck, Russell, plus other allied family surnames.

Posted: 16 Mar 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 4 Jul 2001 2:02PM GMT

Hello, Do you have a Matilda Jane NORRIS/CORNTHWAITE in your history.
Harford or Baltimore,Md
Thank you, Helen at Hdeschenes@aol.com

Rose Churilla (View posts)
Posted: 31 Mar 1998 12:00PM GMT

Hi Herbert:

My name is Rose Churilla. I have some Norris' in my family. I have a William Norris (born in 1729 and died on April 5, 1817) that owned a portion of Washington City. He sold his real estate in that city and in 1772, or shortly before that time, came to Monongalia County, Virginia (now West Virginia). William Norris was first married to Prunellopa Middletown who died, and he afterwards married Leuranah Collier, and to thisi marriage there were born five daughters:

Elizabeth Norris married to George Baker (this is my line)
Mary Norris married to ? Hayes
Vilinda Norris married to Doctor Nabors (Neighbors)
Martha Norris married to ? DeVault
Charity Norris married to Enoch Jenkins

History records show that William Norris, together with his wife, Leuranah Collier Norris, came over from Baltimore on horseback and settled in Cheat Neck, West Virginia. He occassionally would return to Baltimore for salt and other provisions.

Unfortuneatly, I have never done any research on William Norris living in Maryland. If you think you have any information on him or his family, please let me know. Thanks.

Posted: 1 Apr 1998 12:00PM GMT

Rose,

Thank You for the response query.

I do not have any of the names or family connections that you have listed in your query. I was also unsuccessful locating the names in my favorite NORRIS surname source: "The Norris family of Maryland and Virginia, Genealogy of Thomas Norris, 1361-1930" by Harry Alexander Davis. I personally consider some of the information in this unpublished document as suspect, and I have found what I consider to be errors, but it is one of the most comprehensive NORRIS Family "source document" that I have found.

I am sorry that I am unable to help you locate your William Norris.

236 NW Wildwood Lane
Bremerton, WA 98311-9125

Researching: NORRIS, BERGE, APPLEBY, SARGENT, EMMERT, PELL, MILLER, THOMPSON, PURSELL / PURCELL, HARBECK, RUSSELL, plus other allied family surnames.

Cindy Clor (View posts)
Posted: 12 Apr 1998 12:00PM GMT

I am also researching the NORRIS family. I have a Joseph Norris m. Rebecca West, they came from MD and moved to KY. Have you came across this name?

Thank You

Posted: 13 Apr 1998 12:00PM GMT

Cindy,

My personal database does not identify any person using the name Joseph NORRIS as having a spouse Rebecca WEST. I checked the index to the unpublished typescript, "The Norris family of Maryland and Virginia, Genealogy of Thomas Norris, 1361-1930" by Harry Alexander Davis, and was unable to find a Rebecca West listed in the index of subject document. Sorry! I do have a Rebecca West listed as marrying a Richard BELT in 1874 Clermont Co., Ohio. I am sorry that I am unable to help you on your quest.

236 NW Wildwood Lane
Bremerton, WA 98311-9125

Posted: 28 Jul 2001 2:24AM GMT
Edited: 3 Nov 2002 6:27PM GMT
Surnames: west ,Brashear,
Our West family James B.West ,born 1748 MD. Married Sarah Brashear ,came to Ky. Jonathan West his father ,bought bible in 1755 and it gives Constant Hargrove born oct 7,1738 d/o Constance Norris,this is all it says about norris, does this mean anything to you it has been giving me fits,cannot find any norris or hargrove marriages in west family,but its in Jonathan West bible,Jonathan born 1713 s/o Robert West and Sarah Spinks,if this helps,
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions