Search for content in message boards

Earle family, Wexford

Earle family, Wexford

Posted: 9 Nov 2008 8:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Earle,Kenny,Breen,Brennan,Finn,Gilbert,Browne,Doran,Finn,Kavanagh
Seeking information on Edward (Ned) Earle, born c. 1877, from Oulart, Wexford, and his family. Ned married Mary Kenny on 12.07.1905 in Ferns, Wexford. Ned's father was Peter Earle - no further information held on Peter, or on Ned's mother. Ned and Mary had children - Mary, (b. 1902? who married James Breen), Peter (married Rose Brennan), John (k/a Jack - married Margaret Finn, he died 18.09.1990, aged 77yrs), Ann (Nan - who married Robert Gilbert), Letitia (who married ? Browne - d.2.10.1942 aged 33 yrs), Marcella (married ? Doran),Lawrance who married Kathleen Finn, and Mick who married Molly Kavanagh. Any links to any of these people gratefully received

Re: Earle family, Wexford

Posted: 27 Jan 2009 10:36PM GMT
Surnames: Earle
not sure if we spoke before but my great grandfather was an Earle they lived on the Watch-House-Hill in Ballycanew. His name I believe was Edward also Ned born 1874?who went to New Zealand and died there in 1968 he has a brother George out there as well.
My Grandmother was Mary Earle who became a Cotten, I know she had a sister Ann who died early and was buried in a grave in Ballyoughter not far from Camolin it was the wrong grave Timmins but the other family left her there. There was another sister Liz who died in Boston. I remember some one saying there was an old man who lived in the house at the corner in Ballycanew as u turn sharp to go to Wexford.
I am not sure if they would be related but there was Ned and another brother who lives in Graystones they might be related someway. My grandmothers mother was buried in Greystones, she was to go to live in New Zeland but Ned never sent for them.
Please let me know if you think they might be distant relatives thanks Brendan

Posted: 1 Mar 2009 9:00AM GMT
Hi Brendan
Sorry it's taken me a while to respond to you. The only way that I think your Ned Earle could be the same as mine is if the family you refer to was his second family. I have been told that, after marrying Mary Kenny on 12.07.1905 and having the children Mary, Anne, Peter, Letitia, John (Jack), Marcella and Lawrence, Ned apparently left his wife, and went on to marry again. He was apparently disowned by the family at this time. Ned's occupation on his marriage certficate is given as horse trainer, if that helps.
Best wishes, Julia

Posted: 8 Oct 2009 7:51PM GMT
Hi Julia,

Did you get anymore history on this? I am Kathleen Finns grandson, and would be very interested in anything that you may have.

Thanks.

Patrick Earle

Posted: 9 Oct 2009 8:51PM GMT
Hi Patrick. Good to hear from you. I'm afraid I don't know know a lot about Ned Earle - although I'd love to! The story about him re-marrying came from a relative called Margaret Gilbert - she also told us that the woman Ned married the second time was black. I have a bit of a mystery going on as to whether Ned was actually the father of my husband's Gran, Mary Earle, as she was born before they were married, and I can't find a birth record for Mary anywhere. However, she is shown as a child of his on the 1911 census. Can you tell me where you fit into the Finn family? My info re. the Finns comes mainly from Fr James Finn of Ballyregan. I know that Lawrence and John Earle (sons of Ned) married sisters, Margaret and Kathleen/Catherine/Kitty Finn - is this your Gran? I have a record of Lawrence marrying in 1941, and possibly having 2 children, Mary (1942) and Edward Seamus (1943) - would this Edward be your father? Look forward to hearing from you. best wishes, Julia

Posted: 10 Oct 2009 8:06AM GMT
Hi Patrick - I forgot to say I have tried to establish more about Ned - I have a death cert for an Edward Earle 14.03.1950 of Greenhall, Wells, Gorey, but I don't think he's ours as the informant re. the death was his son Samuel, and we don't have a Samuel. I also have a marriage cert for a Peter Earl and Anne Earl (yes - both had same surname before marriage)- 12.11.1863, who could be Ned's parents - note there is no E on the end of Earl, but I've seen it spelt both ways elsewhere. I have a birth cert for an Edward Earle from Cullenttra(?)born 20.05.1873 - his parents are given as Edward (which doesn't tie in with the Peter recorded on Ned's marriage certificate, but Edward could be the family name that maybe was given because of the traditional namimg pattern, but perhaps wasn't used, as I've found elsewhere) and Jane nee Stenson. Edward Earle senior's profession is given as saddler. Does any of this sound familiar? I don't even know if Ned stayed in the Enniscorthy/Gorey area when he remarried - if the story is true that he was disowned when he remarried after Mary Kenny, he may well have moved away from the area. Do you have any more info, either about Earles or Finns? My tree is on Ancestry site if you'd like to view it. Julia

Posted: 10 Oct 2009 9:48AM GMT
Julia,
Thanks for the replys. My father will be visiting this Monday and I will go through it with him. He is Des, son of Kitty/Catherine and Laurence. i will post again after I talk to him and give you whatever info I can.

Posted: 17 Feb 2011 2:35PM GMT
Surnames: Earle and Nolan
Hi, I am seeking info on Edward Earle. My grandmother was Elizabeth Clancy, )dis daughter), she died in 1999. She had a bother Ned, sister Mary (Babs) and a sister Annie who died at 13-14 years of a ruptured appendix. I was told Edward left the family to go to Australia or New Zealand.
His wife's name was Mary I was told maiden name was Nolan.
I would appreciate any information on both Edward and Mary for my family tree. Mary married a Charles Cotton and had children, one name wis Sophie.
Susan

Posted: 18 Feb 2011 10:33AM GMT
Hi Susan the Mary who married a cotton was my grandmother my mom is Sophie. I think did your mom Elizabeth went to Boston I know my mom visited her and if its the same lady she visited our house in Gorey, Wexford, I remember she played bridge quite well. Maybe you can let me know. You will find info on Edward Earl at the online census for Ireland 1911 look up the following
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Wexford/Bal...
Ned Earl that went to New Zealand and died in a Salvation Home. His estate only God knows what happened to it. Hope its of some use to you .........Brendan

Posted: 5 Sep 2011 10:32AM GMT
Surnames: Earle, Taplin, Eager
i AM ONLY BEGINNING TO GET INTO THE EARLE FAMILY TREE WHICH i AM TOLD IS COMPLICATED - SOMETIMES SPELT EARL OTHER TIMES EARLE.
1. There are two Cullentras in Wexford not far from each other. Cullentra Ballywalter or Ballywater(modern name)Lower and Cullentra Monamolin. I think the latter is where my Earles come from but I only learned of that last week. Allen/Alan Edward is a common name in the family with cousins holding the same first name. Also I am told that one of my Earle ancestors had quite a number of children, died and his widow married an Earle so there was a second family to complicate things.. My Earles are connected to Eagers and Tompkins. Certainly there are gravestones of an Earle and Tompkins in Clonevin Church of Ireland churchyard - I have photos. I have not managed to get any of Monamolin Church of Ireland churchyard. My Earles were Church of Ireland. My grandfather Allen Edward Earle married Hanna Taplin of Dublin, I believe in St Georges Parish Church Drumcondra, Dublin.

If you have any further information I would be grateful. Also if you need more information please ask me and I will try to find out.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic