Search for content in message boards

IOWA ADOPTION RECORDS

IOWA ADOPTION RECORDS

Posted: 7 Jan 2007 6:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BROWN
Does anyone know how or where I can obtain adoption records for a birth in Nov 1948? Birth certificate does not show birth parents or hospital of birth but it was in Des Moines. Does the state have all of these records? When the adoption took place were all of the previous records destroyed?

James Willard and Lydia Mae Brown were both born about 1925 (could have been 1924 or 1926). Lydia was living in Des Moines (Polk) IA in Nov 1948 and James was living in Houston (Harris) TX during the same time. It is presumed that he was probably working there. Very little is known about these two individuals except what is posted here. Is anyone researching this line or know anything about these two individuals such as where they were born, when and where they married, who their parents were, etc or how I can get adoption records for a son born Nov 1948?

Thanks so much for your help.

Sue

Re: IOWA ADOPTION RECORDS

Posted: 27 Jan 2008 8:30PM GMT
Iowa is a sealed state. Not much info is given. I did send in a form called Biological Parent Application for Revelation on County of Adoptions. I found out my brother was adopted in Cedar County and the date of 1951. He was given up in 1949 so God knows where he was before that time. I have petitioned to the court to open the records and got nowhere. I just keep searching websites. I did go to Cedar County and tried to look at the proceedings on the day his adoption took place but found nothing. Good Luck. Sue

Re: IOWA ADOPTION RECORDS

Posted: 18 May 2011 12:54AM GMT
Hello. Did you ever request your adoption records to be unsealed? You can look on the internet for Polk County Iowa Clerk of District Court's phone number and address. I would call and ask for the names of the District Court judges and the address(s) to contact them by mail. I would write one of the judges and tell him/her that you would like to have your adoption records to be unsealed and you wish to have them. Tell the judge what you think you know about your biological parents such as what you believe their names are and where they were from and so forth. I know Iowa has sealed records, but my grandmother was able to get her unsealed from Woodbury County, Iowa years ago when she was in her late fifties/early sixties. It's worth a try. Good luck!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions