Search for content in message boards

Legacy vs Roots Magic - which to buy???

Legacy vs Roots Magic - which to buy???

Posted: 17 Jun 2010 10:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
As a newbie, I have been looking at both softwares. Please let me know why you chose Legacy and how it compares to Roots Magic.

Thanks

Re: Legacy vs Roots Magic - which to buy???

Posted: 17 Jun 2010 11:15PM GMT
I have been using Legacy for over 8 years and have been very happy with it.

In regards to your question...it is very much like why do some people like a Chevy as opposed to those who like Fords.

May I suggest you download the free trial edition of each product and do your own "comparison survey" because the bottom line is: you should buy the program which best suits your needs.

Virginia

Posted: 18 Jun 2010 11:18PM GMT
I'm going to "ditto" what Virginia posted. Why and how you use the program is very individual so you should make your choice based on a trial of each product. I switched to Legacy from Family Tree Maker and have never been sorry I am very happy with the power of the program and all of the options it gives me. The only thing I would suggest is that you check your area to see if others are using one program or the other since it truly helps to have someone local to ask when you have a question.

Posted: 10 Jul 2010 8:13AM GMT
I totally agree with both posts, it's all about preference. Both are good programs but ultimately it's dow to the user. Trial both to see what suits your needs.

Posted: 26 Sep 2010 2:55AM GMT
I've been doing genealogy for about 30 years and using genealogy software for about 15 years. I use the latest purchased versions of Legacy, RootsMagic and Family Tree Maker. Family Tree Maker is far and away the best for everyday work. It's places mapping is unbeatable and extremely useful when trying to locate and place people with the same surname. However, Legacy wins hands down for books and reports. I export from FTM to Legacy for report making. I don't find any good use for RootsMagic. My file is about 70,000 people.

Posted: 26 Oct 2010 10:46PM GMT
Bob, I'd really like to hear your thoughts on the strengths and weaknesses of each program. Especially why you don't have a use for Roots Magic.

I've been testing out all 3 of them. So far FTM has a few features I do like, mapping, web clipping etc. But it crashes contently during merging.

The free Legacy seems to offer the most features for any free program. Although I like the Roots Magic interface better.

Posted: 26 Oct 2010 10:51PM GMT
If you'll contact me by direct email (bob.arens37@gmail.com) I'll include some screen shots with my 'take' on these 3 genealogy softwares.

Posted: 27 Oct 2010 2:17PM GMT
I would be interested how Legacy mapping compares to FTM mapping.

Thanks,
Tim Rosenlof

Posted: 27 Oct 2010 3:02PM GMT
Legacy mapping is much better than FTM2011 mapping. RootsMagic has no mapping. I've rated these three products on three features: ease of data entry - all three are equal; mapping - Legacy best, FTM2011 second best, RootsMagic has no mapping; and auto-searching for people - FTM2011 best by far using Ancestry.com at $25.00 per month. Legacy and RootsMagic both use the free FamilySeach which is very clumsy.

Posted: 27 Oct 2010 3:20PM GMT
I am a 10+ user of Legacy is the reason I asked about the difference in mapping. Now :) I must ask, the free FamilySearch you mention is clumbsy. What part of it is clumbsy ? Maybe I am not understanding :)

Thanks,
Tim Rosenlof
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions