Search for content in message boards

BALNAHEE--Where & What is it?

BALNAHEE--Where & What is it?

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 4:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
My Bruton family is listed in the Tithe Applotments in the townland of BALNAHEE, parish of Killucan, County Westmeath. I can't find such a townland in any record, including Sean Ruad's website of Irish townlands.

Balnahee obviously was either spelled very differently or became known by another name by the mid-19c. Hope someone can help solve this frustrating mystery that has stumped me for several years.

Re: BALNAHEE--Where & What is it?

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 3:03PM GMT
I tried several resources and came up 0 as well. Some examples of what you say:

Cloonabiggin changed to Lowville
Killucan to Killuquin
Kerinstown - Rowley

The Townland Balnahee had 35 tenants, so it wasn't small
in the scheme of things.

One tenant in the Tithe's and also in Griffith Valuation
was Laurence Delemar, Parish of Killucan Townland Craddanstown.

Also Patrick Bruton of Parish of Killucan Townland
Craddanstown.

All I got google Craddanstown is the weather - but also a map, it appears to be up against a mountain/hill the
nearest place noted is Raharney on R156. Its 7 degrees and sunny and windy.

Annette Code

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 3:15PM GMT
Thanks so much, Annette. This definitely is a stumper.

I have wondered about that Patrick Bruton as the first son in the two Bruton families related to me was named Patrick as well. Granted there are a lot of Patricks in Ireland....

But Delamere and its many spellings is another family name, tho also common in Westmeath. It's a Norman name.

I have never been able to find anything about the origin of the name Bruton in Ireland. There were many in Meath and Westmeath and still are a number. But Bruton is an English name originally. However, the Brutons were in Ireland before the 1600s and the events of that time.

Thank you again!

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 8:06PM GMT
Almost as soon as I sent the message above, I remembered that I had posted elsewhere last fall about this and gotten a reply that seems to work.

Another researcher said when he can't find a place name, he searches in the known area, in this case Craddanstown. Right next to Craddanstown in the Tithe Applotments is Ballynaskeagh. He guessed, and I suspect he is right, that Balnahee is a phonetic spelling of Ballynaskeagh. '-skeagh' is pronounced 'skee'.

Several of my family names, including the most important, BRUTON, are in this area as you noted, Annette. So this is my best bet.

I see Ballynaskeagh in the 1901 and 1911 censuses but can't tell what Catholic parish it would be in.

Posted: 31 Jan 2013 5:53AM GMT
Edited: 31 Jan 2013 5:56AM GMT
The attached file is from the Placenames Database of Ireland, at:
http://www.logainm.ie/51272.aspx

It mentions a "Balluehie" as bordering on the west someplace near Craddanstown. I don't know if this is what you're looking for.
Attachments:

Posted: 31 Jan 2013 10:24PM GMT
Thanks very much for posting this record. It looks like it--another phonetic spelling of Ballynaskeagh.

Sean Ruad's IreAtlas website shows two small townlands named Ballynaskeagh in Westmeath. One in the civil parish of Castletowndelvin and the other in the civil parish of Killagh. Perhaps they were once in the same parish.

The Ballynaskeagh in the civil parish of Killagh is just west of Craddanstown.

There is no list of townlands I can find for Catholic parishes. The last Bruton in the immediate area is a Christopher Bruton in Craddanstown in the 1911 census. The DED is Ballynaskeagh.

Thank you again.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions