Search for content in message boards

Skjeldal Farm in Etne?

Skjeldal Farm in Etne?

MattJ (View posts)
Posted: 11 Mar 2005 11:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Skjeldal
I'm a descendant of a man named Osmund Sheldahl (Skjeldal) who immigrated from Etne in the 1840's. So, that's a good start. My remaining question is, is the Skjeldal farm still around in the Etne region? I'm going to Norway in a few months and would love to see it. Any help anyone can give would be much appreciated. Thanks so much-
Matt Johnson

Re: Skjeldal Farm in Etne?

PR (View posts)
Posted: 12 Mar 2005 12:29AM GMT
The short answer is Yes. I'm looking at a map printed in 2003 - Skjeldal farm is still in Etne, Hordaland, Norway.

Posted: 13 Mar 2005 1:05PM GMT
Edited: 19 Oct 2005 10:40AM GMT
You find the homepages of Etne local community at etne.kommune.no
Norwegian only, regretably.
There is one picture taken almost from Skjeldal showing the wiew towards north.

http://www.etne.kommune.no/SPESIALSIDER/album/19.html

Good luck!

Taryn (View posts)
Posted: 14 Mar 2005 3:21AM GMT
There were two farmsteads located at the main farm # 41 Skjeldal in Etne, Hordaland fylke as late as 1950 on the farm tax census taken then. Two also on the tax census of 1886. So if you would like to know which one of the two was your "home farm" perhaps a Bygdebok search would say which one Osmund came from.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~wgnorway/lookups.html

The above weblink leads to a page that has lookups volunteers in the Hordaland section of the page which have the Etne farm and family histories in them. When you write to the Etne volunteers, ask for the Skjeldal farm if they can find your ancestor, and to tell you which one of the two farms it is. That will help.

Taryn

Martha Sheldahl (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jul 2006 8:50PM GMT
Did you get to go to Norway? I was just reading your message of 3/11/05. My husband's great grandfather was Osmund Sheldahl (preacher), grandfather Halvor, father James. We went to Sheldahl, IA. July 4, 2006 for the parade and to see the old church which Osmund and his sons built in 1883. It is in very bad shape. It is on the National Historial Society, but nothing has been done to it in years. Something needs to be done soon. It will take some money and good organization. I wouldn't know the first thing about it plus we live in western Iowa about a 3 hour drive away and are getting up in years. I will gladly share any information.
Martha

Old Church in Sheldahl?

Posted: 10 Feb 2007 9:30PM GMT
Surnames: Sheldahl
I am doing some research on the Old Church in Sheldahl for a family history project and I was wondering if anyone knows who is in charge of the Church in Sheldahl. I would like to see for my self what shape it is in and possibly see what, if any improvements could be made with a little organization of resources in the community. After the research I have been doing I would really like the building to survive and be treated like the historical landmark it is. Osmund Sheldahl was my Great Great Grandfather so I may be a bit bias but, the story of the establishmnet of Sheldahl deserves to be preserved.

Re: Old Church in Sheldahl?

Posted: 10 Jul 2013 12:02AM GMT
Surnames: sheldahl
Sorry these are old messages, I happen to be Osmund's great great great grandson. I do have access to a history of sorts.

Re: Old Church in Sheldahl?

Posted: 20 Feb 2014 2:30PM GMT
I am Osmond's great grandson.I lived in the house across the street fromgreat grandfathers house, Martin House and that church.please used text message.I would enjoy finding out what you know about our history.808 372 5 530
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions