Search for content in message boards

Mr. and Mrs. Andreas Anderson Wistrand

Mr. and Mrs. Andreas Anderson Wistrand

Posted: 13 Jan 2011 7:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: wistrand, anderson, iverson
Family history has it that in 1882 Inga M. Wistrand, my 2nd great maternal grandmother, and her brother John Wistrand came over from Sweden and had supposedly changed their name from Anderson due to the commonality of the name. Their sister Hannah Wistrand came over later and I found her in the book "Portland, Oregon, its history and builders" -- "Miss Hannah C. Wistrand, who was born in the town of Wexio, Sweden, as were her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Andreas Anderson Wistrand", but need a little help interpreting this. Does this mean that Andreas went by "Andreas Anderson Wistrand" or that Mrs. Wistrand's maiden name was Anderson? To ask another way why is the name "Anderson" in there and does that indicate that the family story of it changing is accurate?

Thanks,
Mark

Re: Mr. and Mrs. Andreas Anderson Wistrand

Posted: 26 Jan 2011 6:28PM GMT
Changing your name simply wasn't, and still isn't, such a big deal in Sweden. Before 1900 there wasn't even any official procedure, you simply told people what wanted to be called, and most people would take it for granted that everybody adapted their names according to the situation.

In your case Anders might very well have called himself by his patronymic name Andersson on some occasions and Wistrand on others. Both would have been correct, if his father was called Anders he would indeed have been Anders' son = Andersson.

On the other hand I don´t think Andreas' wife was ever actually called Mrs. Andreas Andersson Wistrand. To a swede, the English manner og calling a wife by her husband's first name still sounds odd and a bit offensive. She might have used a surname, but odds are she was known by he first and patronymic names. Before 1900 she would probably not have used Wistrand while her husband was alive, but might call herself Widow Wistrand after his death.

Lina

Re: Mr. and Mrs. Andreas Anderson Wistrand

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 5:52AM GMT
Surnames: Wistrand
John P. Wistrand was my great-grandfather. Your story is very close to the stories I have also heard over the years. The name change makes it harder to search for ancestors.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions