Search for content in message boards

Michael Gauthier of Avoyelles, Louisiana, d. 1890

Michael Gauthier of Avoyelles, Louisiana, d. 1890

valerie nelson (View posts)
Posted: 7 Aug 2003 5:01AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gauthier, Bettevy
I'm looking for ancestry information for Michael Gauthier who was born around 1855-1858 and died in 1890 in Avoyelles Parish in Louisiana. He is buried north of Marksville in Ft. DeRussy cemetery. He married Sarah Ann Bettevy in 1880. That's all I know. His unknown ancestry is the main roadblock in my family tree. Does anyone have leads for me? I'm curious about his heritage, not just dates and names.
Thanks!

Re: Michael Gauthier of Avoyelles, Louisiana, d. 1890

Posted: 28 Sep 2003 3:04AM GMT
Valerie, try www.mindspring.com/-jwbarron/gauthier it really filled in some blanks in my Gauthier line. Good Luck.

Posted: 17 Jul 2004 2:23PM GMT
Hi,

Go to

http://genforum.genealogy.com/gauthier/

and look for correspondence between myself (Martin Gauthier) and Jerry Bordelon begining around Apr 2004 and you will get your answer.

I am a ggson of Michael. Are you a relative also?

I have recently posted my gauthier line on Ancestery.com. I'm the same person that has the 1500+ Gauthier database on the Avoyelles website that someone else refered you too. At that time I had not resolved the Michael connection.

If you are a descendant of Valcour Louis, then don't believe everything you see posted here and elsewhere. Many people are making the assumption that Michael's brother Lewis is Valcour Louis Gauthier. It doesn't jive with his death certificate, althought that could be wrong.

You can reach me at genesearch@stmaarteninsider.com.

Martin Gauthier

Val Nelson (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jul 2004 5:22AM GMT
Surnames: Gauthier
Thanks for writing, Martin. I guess we are cousins. Michael is my gggrandfather. I'll have to look at all my notes later but I do recall something about Valcour as a possible connection. Anyway, I am from Baton Rouge, LA, originally but I now live in Massachusetts. Are you in Louisiana?
How do I get to your Ancestry website? And did you say that is the one that does not list Michael?
thanks,
val

Val Nelson (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jul 2004 5:49AM GMT
Surnames: Gauthier, Nelson
Hi again Martin,
I found my old notes on Michael. Turns out, it is something you wrote in 1993 and I see that you lived in Luling at the time. These notes were given to me by my aunt, Helen Nelson. In any case, I'm glad to "meet" you.

I learned recently that my grandmother told her children that we are part native American (but she never mentioned which tribe). I suspect it may be from Michael's line given the mystery around his origins. Do you know of any such connection?

thanks
val

Martin Gauthier (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jul 2004 12:52PM GMT
Hi Val,

It's very nice to meet a cousin that is a descendant of Michael. You are the second I've met in 10 years, other than my first cousins. Are you from Isabelle Gauthier Dugas? That branch of the family is from Baton Rouge but I don't know.

I found Paulina (Poliny) Gauthier's grand son and later great granddaughter in Hot Springs Ark six or more years ago. The grandson has since died and I've lost touch with the his children but may try to connect again now that I have Michael's origins.

I am from La, presently in Covington but sometimes in StMaarten in the Caribbean. My wife lives and works there for the last 18 months and I go and come. I'm here trying to get our house sold right now.

Send me an email at genesearch@stmaarteninsider.com and I'll give you access to my private Gauthier web site that has Michael all the way back with a lot of the older family branches. Its a work in progress. Its got my living family in it so I don't want to post it here.

I've got the skelton of it posted recently on Ancestery.com but it is far from finished. I'm new to Ancestery and can't hardly find it myself. Search for Francois Bettevy, then select Ancestry World Tree Entries for Francois and you'll get a list of 14 listings on Francois. Mine is the fifth from the bottom.

If you find an easier way to get there, please let me know.

Martin Gauthier (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jul 2004 1:06PM GMT
I've never heard of an Indian connection in the family. You can follow Michael's tree up to France and I don't see an apparent Indian connection. Possibly it's on Sarah Anne Bettevy's side. I can't follow the Bettevy's back far, but her gfather was from France. I don't know who her Bettevy gmother is. Her mothers side has plenty of possibilities.

I'm anxious to hear our relationship. My father and your gfather or gmother must be 1st cousins. So we are 2nd once removed. My gfather is Peter Gauthier, my father is Ishmael.

I'll wait to hear from you at genesearch@stmaarteninsider.com.

Carolyn (View posts)
Posted: 13 Nov 2006 4:54PM GMT
My gggrandfather was Zenon Gauthier.....and he was supposed to be married to Emily Piper.....who (my 98 year-old grandmother told me last nite) was full blooded indian. Emily's parents had died in one of the wars. The Gauthier's took her in a raised her, and she later married their son, Zenon.

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 12:42AM GMT
Carolyn,

Did she say from what tribe or part of the country? What is your grandmothers name? Do you live in TX? I have been researching the claim we were descended from Indians but could not make the connection. My gmother was Nellie Howard, her parents were George Howard and Sedonia Gauthier.

Thank you, Diana

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 2:22PM GMT
Hi Diana! Sedonia was my great grandmother's sister, Ida Marie Gathier. I'm still trying to find the tribe...and hope to do so soon...as we have a bunch of relatives that claim they know.....and when i find out, i'll let you know. I live in Seabrook, TX. I was born in Galveston and i grew up in Santa Fe. And you?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions