Search for content in message boards

Looking for my grandfather's ancesters (Maine)

Looking for my grandfather's ancesters (Maine)

Ben Gross (View posts)
Posted: 12 May 2000 11:11AM GMT
I am building our family tree, but because of poor memories and records, I have come to a halt at my grandfather. Can anyone link us? He was John W. Gross, born in Castine, ME in 1896. He married Lora P. Hutchins, lived in Penobscot, Maine most of his life and died in 1972.

Thanks,
Ben Gross
Windham, ME

Gross in Maine

Patricia Smith (View posts)
Posted: 24 May 2000 8:28PM GMT
I too have come to a halt with my grandfather.
His name was Eugene W. Gross born 1871 and died
in 1939. He was married to Mamie E. Ryan. Both
are buried in Owls Head, Maine. Eugene had a
brother named Sidney A. Gross who was born in
1866 and died 1914 and he also was buried in the
same cemetary in Owls Head.
That is all we know as my grandfather never told
my dad anything about his side of the family,
or if he did my Dad can't remember and his Mother,
Mamie died when he was only 6, so he was never
able to get any information from her because he
as to young. We are having a reunion in Maine
this year and will be researching more into the
"Gross" side of our family while there, so will
let you know if we track down any further info.

Good luck to all of us. We might be related.

maybe related?

Emily Gross (View posts)
Posted: 26 May 2000 7:25PM GMT
My name is Emily Gross. I am from Maine.
i am just stating my family tree. I don't
have a clue who i am related too. Most of
my family lives in Kentucky. But we might be
from maine because i have lived there for
many years. if you have any info e-mail
talkitiveemmy@netscape.net

Re: Gross in Maine

Posted: 15 Feb 2010 12:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gross
Hi Patricia:

I hope this gets to you. I assume no one has ever responded to you, but I do have some information for you. Are you still interested, or are you now all set? You can e-mail me at megsateennow@aol.com.

Cindy

Re: Looking for my grandfather's ancesters (Maine)

Posted: 29 Jul 2010 2:37PM GMT
Hello, Ben. I'm back renewing a line on my Arthur Irvin Gross, and see you're still the hound dog on John William Gross.
Ulysses and My Grandfather, Frank P. Gross were both born on the Gilpin Road towards the river. It was my Frank, who managed to purchase so much land in East Orland.
I'll nose around a bit for Jack Grass....really, I've seen this! and Lora. Castine to Penobscot right?
Thanks, Cindy H

Posted: 2 May 2012 12:58PM GMT
Surnames: Gross Hopkins Ryan
Last August, 2011, I corresponded thru the ancestry.com messages with Carolyn Lipska, whom I believe is your sister. She confirmed that Mamie Ryan, your grandmother was married to Eugene W Gross.
Mamie Ryan was the daughter of Captain Lewis Ryan and his wife Martha Hopkins, thus the connection to my Hopkins tree.
Martha's father was Spencer Hopkins, who left Maine in the 1840's for the Mexican War, only to die of yellow fever in New Orleans, where he is buried.
Spencer was the son of Dt Theophilus Hopkins, a Revolutionary War surgeon who moved to ME after the War, with Martha Spencer, his last wife. He had 4 wives, and 17 children. He was from Cape Cod, and was a direct descendant of Stephen Hopkins of the Mayflower voyages.
My tree says you are the 8th great granddaughter of Stephen Hopkins of the Mayflower!
Now, as to your Gross ancestry...Eugene's W in his name was no doubt for Wooster, as his father was Captain Samuel Gross, who married Mercy Wooster Smith, daughter of a well known shipping master out of Owl's Head ME, Wooster Smith.
I feel strongly that Samuel Gross is somehow related to Edward Trueworthy Gross and wife Irene Treat, who had children named Eugene and Edmund. He lived in Orland, Hancock County ME, where many Gross families lived, all up from Cape Cod, esp Truro. More on this later. Have you learned any more? I will be writing Carolyn as well later this week, as time is tight for me at work this week.
Cousins Always, Dr bill Hopkins

Posted: 28 Sep 2012 7:19AM GMT
I am looking for information on Charles H. Gross, son of Captain Samuel H. Gross of Maine, brother of Eugene W. He had a daughter Mary Elizabeth Gross who moved to California with two sons. One of those sons is my late grandfather whom i know nothing about. Have lots of questions.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions