Search for content in message boards

Medals issued in the Franco-Prussian War

Medals issued in the Franco-Prussian War

Posted: 28 Sep 2008 11:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Is there any source for information on persons who were awarded significant medals for service in the Franco-Prussian War-(books, web sites, archives etc.)?

Re: Medals issued in the Franco-Prussian War

Posted: 18 Oct 2008 5:04PM GMT
I have a list of all recipients of the Iron Cross, both first and second class. What exactly are you looking for??

Andy

Posted: 6 Nov 2008 12:46AM GMT
Surnames: Zarth
Hi, I am also looking for a recipient of a medal from the Franco Prussian War. Family history states that my great grandfather, Ludwig Zarth, was with Kaiser Wilhelm I when he took Paris and knew him personally. Also, Ludwig was a honor guard with the Prussian Army at Fontenbleau, Paris. Supposedly, there are pictures of Ludwig wearing his medal. I am not sure what medal he received. He was born in 1849 in Prussia and died in 1935, in Scott Cty. Minnesota. I am interested in any info you might have or where I can find detailed info on the Franco Prussian War.

Laurie

Posted: 6 Nov 2008 12:59AM GMT
Surnames: Kneer
Andy
Sorry about the delayed reply. I am looking for any medals that may have been issued to John (Johann) Kneer. Family lore says he was awarded medals in the F-P war but does not say what kind of medals. He very likely served in a unit from Wurttemberg. Thank you for your reply.

Posted: 6 Nov 2008 9:58AM GMT
A Karl Kneer was awarded the Iron Cross 2nd Class while serviing in the Württemberg 2nd Jäger (Rifle) Batallion. Unfortunately, I have no other information to offer. Researching the military careers of enlisted men is next to impossible given the alomost complete lack of records relating to them.

Andy

Posted: 6 Nov 2008 10:00AM GMT
Laurie,

Sorry to report that no one with the last name of Zarth was awarded an Iron Cross during the 1870/71 War with France.

Andy

Posted: 28 Nov 2008 10:07PM GMT
Surnames: Stünkel, Stuenkel, Stünckel, Ehlers
Christian Carl Wilhelm Stünkel (Stuenkel/Stünckel) served in the Hannoverian Army which was absorbed into Prussia where he was "Unteroffizier der 1. Escardron West. Cuirassier Regt. Nr. 4. Celle" which makes him a sergeant of the 1st Squadron of the 4th Westphalian Cuirassier Regiment based in Celle. I understand he may have gotten awards based on his service during the Franco-Prussian War. Do you have any Stünkel family listed as recipients of iron crosses on your list? Where did you get this list?
I'm interested in all sources of info to pinpoint individuals in this war.
I also believe another ancestor, Heinrich Ernst Christian Ehlers, served in that war, but he seems to have gotten a round medal that I cannot read in the picture.

Thanks!

Posted: 29 Nov 2008 9:11AM GMT
Surnames: Stünkel, Stuenkel, Stünckel, Ehlers
The list I have was printed in 1877 as as special supplement to the official Prussian "Ordensliste". A friend of mine found it in an archive in Germany,

Unfortunately, there is only on Stünckel listed- a Scond Lieutenant Hermann in Infantry regiment 81.

As for the Ehlers, there are eight enlisted men listed but none by the name of Heinrich Ernst Christian or similar combination of those names.

The round medal you mentioned is most likely the 1870/71 campaign medal presented to combatants and non-combatants.

Posted: 29 Nov 2008 7:04PM GMT
Thanks for looking!
I think 1877 was too late, he was a policeman in Hannover city by then. I suppose I have to locate earlier Ordensliste or Rangliste. I wonder when they began and where to look for them? I know from the history that his regiment saw a lot of action in the sweep around Paris and I have an interesting story passed down about a “French woman” who might have become his mistress then or later, and his wife did divorce him in 1885, which lends some credence to the story.
Unfortunately Hannover archives cannot seem to locate the divorce file mentioned in his remarriage to yet another “German” woman soon after. Their answers are so vague and wordy that I cannot tell if they really don’t have it or simply don’t want to give it to me, even after I supplied them with all they asked for.
Anyway, I’m intrigued by that whole era of the war and interested in learning of any personnel resources.
Thanks again!

Posted: 4 Dec 2008 2:14PM GMT
Hi Andy,

By chance do you have a listing for a John J. Strobele for the Iron Cross??

Many thanks

David
per page

Find a board about a specific topic