Search for content in message boards

Knaggs

Posted: 20 Dec 2012 6:01AM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for any information on George Knaggs, born in Millingar in 1843. He has a sister Lucy born abt 1828.
They both eventually emigrated to South Australia and I can't find any information about them anywhere.

Any information would be greatly apprecated.

Regards, Lyn Albury

Re: Knaggs

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 6:23AM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 24 Feb 2013 12:57AM GMT

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 6:23AM GMT
You could contact the 2 Knagg's still in the phone book for Ireland, two in Dublin area. None Westmeath.

Ireland is hard to search at the best of times.

Griffith Valuation was a valuation of land for tax purposes
and took place in Westmeath in 1857. At that time there are
no Knaggs listed. However, along with other counties there are Knaggs in Co.Lough/Meath (Drogheda)St.Peter's Parish.
There were only 33 Knaggs in all Ireland at that time.

The Tithe Valuation was also a valuation of land for tax purposes, it took place through Ireland 1820-1839. No Knaggs in Westmeath but 14 elsewhere. Queen's County now Laois and Tipperary N. Robert and James seem to be the Knaggs first names. What are your George's and Lucy's children names, their parents names would of been used at some point.

MUllingar was a Townland, a Parish and a Union. A Union town
covered an area of 12 mi. and contained all parish's, townlands, villages in that area.

It is also a Townland in Donegal. Mullingar in Westmeath
could also be in the Union of Castletowndelvin.

Records for baptism and marriages before 1864 are Parish only. These parish records are now in a database of an Irish History Foundation for most counties. I would do a search with just the name George Knaggs and birth year for Ireland rather than a particular county. George was quite an unsual name then as was Lucy. A baptism record should have both parents names and mother's maiden name.

Were the family RC or Church of Ireland as there is a difference in where to look for other records.

www.familysearch.org has some records for Australia

another source:

www.cyndislist.com has an index with links to various websites

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 12:54PM GMT
very kind of you, thanks Annette.
I will look into that.

Posted: 23 Feb 2013 11:31PM GMT
Thank you so much for taking the time to write all this information.

I will do as you suggest.

Posted: 24 Feb 2013 12:59AM GMT
You are welcome. I was watching a TV show with my husband about wood carvers, one of those reality shows. It takes place near us on Vancouver Island. A guest wood carver from Ireland
was on the show and his last name was Knagg!! I had never seen the name before your posting and then to see it again is pretty interesting!
Annette

Posted: 15 Aug 2013 11:51AM GMT
Surnames: Knaggs
Hi Lynn
I am at the minute researching George Knaggs. I'm not in anyway related but doing it for a friend who is a Knaggs. I am in South Australia.
If you go into the SA forum on this site his name is there and lots of info which a lady has found for me just today.

George died in Adelaide and is buried there

You can contact me on
kayeelle@yahoo.com.au
per page

Find a board about a specific topic