Search for content in message boards

Is the surname "Yetzer" Jewish?

Is the surname "Yetzer" Jewish?

Posted: 2 Aug 2010 5:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Yetzer, Jetzer, Jesser, Yesser
Hello Everyone,

I am trying to find out if I have Jewish ancestry. My last name is Yetzer and that's is a unique name. I have never meant another person outside of my family who has that name. I have tried to find out what it means but have been unable to.

I know that in Judaism the term "yetzer" means desire or inclination. I am quite certain because of this that I have Jewish roots.

The first Yetzer on my line is John Baptist Yetzer. Who emigrated to America in the 1830s from Switzerland. He then settled in Shelby, Ohio.

Is there anyone on this forum who has any ties to the Yetzer family? I would really appreciate some help on this so all suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated!
Also, does anyone know anything about researching in Switzerland?

Thanks,

Anthony Yetzer

Re: Is the surname "Yetzer" Jewish?

Posted: 2 Aug 2010 7:34PM GMT
do you have access to a death record or obit that may give his father's name? If anyone was jewish it would be back some generations it seems from the nonjewish given names you have provided.

Posted: 2 Aug 2010 9:35PM GMT
My Yetzer family is Catholic. However I'm thinking it is possible they may have Jewish roots farther back. Sadly I don't have a death certificate for him.

Posted: 26 Feb 2011 6:32AM GMT
I am also a Yetzer and my religion is catholic, just started researching my family tree and so far no Jewish has shown up.

Posted: 26 Feb 2011 1:27PM GMT
Hi,

It's very nice to meet you! My Yetzer family immigrated around 1832 to live in Richland County, Ohio. They had previously lived in Vogelsang, Parish of Lengnau, Aargau Canton, Switzerland.

Most Yetzers came from that area in Switzerland. Do you know exactly where your Yetzers came from in Switzerland? Where did they settle after immigrating? I think we might be related many generations back. :)

Thanks,

Anthony

Posted: 27 Feb 2011 2:56AM GMT
Surnames: Yetzer
Hi--thanks so much for mentioning the canton in Switzerland; I am researching Joseph C. Yetzer of Cass County, Iowa who lists both parents as from Switzerland; no other info avaial (census). Trying to find immigrant ancestor and date. Thanks again

Posted: 27 Feb 2011 3:00AM GMT
Anthony, I have no info on religious affiliation, sorry. Joseph C. Yetzer was probably Joseph Christian Yetzer, according to our family records. Makes Jewish heritage questionable. Hope to stay in touch with you on this project. Thanks again
jean

Posted: 27 Feb 2011 7:56AM GMT
Hi Anthony nice to meet you too. I haven't gotten too far with my tree because i can't afford to pay for this site, but i know my Yetzer family does come from Switzerland also but i do not know where exactly i am still researching that, i believe the year of immigration is around 1882 and i haven't been able to find any ship manifest to show where the family member came from. But when they did come they we're here in Elk County Pennsylvania till my generation here. Thank you though for the info maybe if i start where you mention i can find some more info.

Posted: 27 Feb 2011 1:39PM GMT
Edited: 27 Feb 2011 1:47PM GMT
My Yetzer family is completely Catholic, back to 1798. That's the earliest date I have for them. We have a strange name: I haven't been able to find a meaning for it, but in Yiddish, "Yetzer" means desire. It was just a hunch I was going on. :)

There are not a lot of Jetzers in Switzerland; it is rather rare. A lot of Jetzers happen to live in Aargau Canton, in the Parish of Lengnau. Thank God my ancestors past down the name of the exact town they were from. As you guys know, that certainly helps. ;)

Also interestingly enough, there are no "Yetzers" in Switzerland, only "Jetzers." The name was probably changed when some "Jetzers" immigrated making us Yetzers!

I wish I spoke German and could afford a trans-Atlantic flight at the moment,

Anthony

Posted: 27 Feb 2011 10:56PM GMT
Wow that is interesting, that could defiantly be the reason why i can't find anything, i also found a simple name change but not confirmed on my grandmother's side. Thanks for the info i will check into "Jetzer" as a possibility :)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions