Search for content in message boards

KINNEGAD PARISH--Kinnegad, Coralstown, Clonard

KINNEGAD PARISH--Kinnegad, Coralstown, Clonard

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 8:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BRUTON; CULLY; GRAHAM; CUNNINGHAM; KELLY; RILEY
I have three sets of ancestors from Kinnegad RC parish in Westmeath. I'm looking for any information and history of the parish and the area. I've looked for a couple of years and found nothing but a bit of info that it was a transportation hub in the early 19c.

Does anyone know anything about Kinnegad parish and area? There are three churches/towns in the parish--Kinnegad and Coralstown in Westmeath, and Clonard in Meath. The parish crosses the county line.

Re: KINNEGAD PARISH--Kinnegad, Coralstown, Clonard

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 5:18AM GMT
Just by googling you should be able to find pictures of some parish churches. Kinnegad, Coralstown and Clonard are
on the website
www.kinnegadparish.ie (has pictures & history)

RC parish registers can be accessed through an Irish History Foundation, it is a pay website from .10E + and prior to 1864 there are no certificates but a record contains mother, father and mother's maiden name, dates, parish and sometimes witnesses.

There are other markers and two are now used as census substitutes.
www.genealogy.nationalarchives.ie Tithe's 1820-1839 a valuation for taxes

www.askaboutireland.ie has free Griffith Valuation records, will give names living in parish's at the time of the GV,
property description, landlord and neighbours.

www.census.nationalarchives.ie 1901/1911 census

There are 5 Bruton's in the telephone book for Westmeath, addresses sufficient for mail delivery no postal codes required. 3 Cully, 5 Graham, 33 Cunningham, 20 Riley,
many Kelly's. You can match up your place names. Also if you get the Civil Registration District or Poor Law UNION which would be the closest large town but no more than 12 mi. distance. In this case Mullingar is the closest to the Civil Parish of Killucan where Kinnegad is located.

Annette Code

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 2:35PM GMT
Thank you for this, Annette, but I do have all of that and more. As I said, I have been researching for years. And I have visited the area, including all three churches, not long ago.

My question is about the history of the area and other such information.

Some parishes have published histories. Kinnegad and nearby Clonard and Coralstown are a blank. There is some info about Clonard's history as a monastic site many centuries ago but not in the 19th or 18th centuries, more relevant to my family history.

But thank you very much again for your continuing willingness to help people here.

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 10:09PM GMT
Annette, if you are still reading this thread, I have a question for you or anyone who might know for sure.

Are the Kinnegad RC parish records on microfilm to request to read at the LDS Family History Centers in the US?

I have been told the LDS filmed some but not all RC parish records. Thank you!

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 10:45PM GMT
Edited: 29 Jan 2013 10:58PM GMT
There was a BIT of history as you say on the church website. You could try Four Courts Press to see if there is anything there or Eneclann (Trinity College). Did you try for the local library as you would think they would have a copy of any books about it!

There is a CD in the Eneclann shop about the Diocese of Elphin and north Roscommon?

I don't think there is anything more I can offer. Annette

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 12:13AM GMT
I looked at the website www.from-ireland.net where previously I have been able to find microfilm numbers for the LDS, but coming up a blank today.(I wish they would stop updating their website) My internet connection isn't the best and stops and starts at will.
Don't forget to search for Killucan Parish as they maybe listed under that name.
You can go to www.familysearch.org and search there, they give you the branches close to where you live. For instance I have two - each 40 miles away, plus a library in the region which specializes in LDS records. If they have the microfilm on record I believe its free and photocopying has a charge but if they haven't got the film they can send for it and I believe there is a charge for that. I've only ever been once myself. You are correct that the National Library in Dublin does not have a complete collection and the LDS filmed some but not all of that.
Have you tried the IGI International Gen....Index
I believe the Church of Ireland records suffered worse than the RC records.Annette
ps I get an automatic notice if anybody posts to this message

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 12:13AM GMT
I looked at the website www.from-ireland.net where previously I have been able to find microfilm numbers for the LDS, but coming up a blank today.(I wish they would stop updating their website) My internet connection isn't the best and stops and starts at will.
Don't forget to search for Killucan Parish as they maybe listed under that name.
You can go to www.familysearch.org and search there, they give you the branches close to where you live. For instance I have two - each 40 miles away, plus a library in the region which specializes in LDS records. If they have the microfilm on record I believe its free and photocopying has a charge but if they haven't got the film they can send for it and I believe there is a charge for that. I've only ever been once myself. You are correct that the National Library in Dublin does not have a complete collection and the LDS filmed some but not all of that.
Have you tried the IGI International Gen....Index
I believe the Church of Ireland records suffered worse than the RC records.Annette
ps I get an automatic notice if anybody posts to this message

Posted: 1 Feb 2013 4:22AM GMT
Thanks very much for this, Annette. I'm hoping to find out if the LDS microfilmed these records before making the trip to a center as I have none very near me either. Thanks again.

Posted: 4 Dec 2014 12:20AM GMT
Hi, I just saw your post. As of September 2006 the LDS hadn't microfilmed the Kinnegad Parish Records but the National Library in Dublin had the film. Killucan Parish had been filmed by the LDS and is made available to local Family History Library's from the main library in Salt Lake. I think the fee is now about $8.00 for a 30 day loan. In 2006 I wrote to the parish, made the trip to Kinnegad and was able to see and copy the originals.

Posted: 4 Dec 2014 3:06PM GMT
Thanks for your reply. I did go to the NLI in Dublin in 2011 but only had time to view some of the Kinnegad parish records. I also went to the parish itself and they let me look at the book but my friend was in a hurry and I could not really do any research. So frustrating.

But all that doesn't matter now after the thrilling announcement this week that all Irish Catholic parish records will be ONLINE FREE by next summer (2015). It was in John Grenham's column in the Irish Times which no one should miss reading each week. We will now be able to sit at home anywhere in the world and search these original images, not faulty transcripts.

Here's a link to John Grenham's blog--
http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/irishroots
per page

Find a board about a specific topic