Search for content in message boards

New Westmeath ancestors book?

New Westmeath ancestors book?

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 1:01AM GMT
Classification: Query
Has anyone seen the recent book, Tracing Your Westmeath Ancestors? What did you think of it? Is it worth buying? Is there new info that is not in other sources online or in John Grenham's book?

I tried to get this thru my library but they can't get it in the US yet. Will try again in a few months.

Re: New Westmeath ancestors book?

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 4:53AM GMT
Yes, I purchased a copy in the US. I don't have it here with me at the moment. It's available from Family Roots Publishing and at Amazon from other suppliers for about $20.

It's certainly a competent work, and well-written by a librarian with a good knowledge of Co. Westmeath. It's also part of a series from a good publisher and editor, and not just desktop publishing or personal pet project. And finally, it's the only book I know of that focuses on Westmeath.

I still found myself disappointed, maybe because I expected more. It seemed to me mainly a catalog of sources, and those sources were only available in Ireland, either in Westmeath or in Dublin. It would be invaluable for planning a trip or commissioning research. If you're stuck on this side of the pond it's less useful.

Again, I'm not looking at the book as I write this, and am not competent to compare it to Grenham's work. You should have a look at it and form your own opinion.

Re: New Westmeath ancestors book?

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 12:51PM GMT
Thanks for the review. That is good information. I know I can buy the book but I have so many already I'm trying to only buy those that I'll read/use repeatedly. Otherwise, it's the library for me.

You point out some pluses and minuses so I'll have to hope a library gets the book in the next few months.

John Grenham's 'Tracing Your Irish Ancestors' is the bible of Irish genealogy and it's out in a new fourth edition. It is not for beginners, I'd say--at least me when I was beginning--it was overwhelming. And it's not perfect--I've found several omissions and I'm no expert. But it is invaluable for anyone really delving into their Irish family history. This new edition has a lot of online references.

Thanks again. You told me what I needed to know.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions