Search for content in message boards

Sarah Reid Gilbert

Sarah Reid Gilbert

Posted: 9 Aug 2010 2:45AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Jan 2012 6:23AM GMT
Surnames: Gilbert and Reid
Sarah Reid married William B. Gilbert 28 Dec 1856
In 1860 they are in Monticello, Lawrence, MS with daughter Louisa. Near them are Sarah's brother Jesse W. Reid with wife Jerusha nee Gilbert and their children Amelia, Alice, and Mary, also with them are 2 of Jesse's children by first wife (unknown name), Sarah Eliza and Raiford H. Reid
In 1870 Sarah and W. B. Gilbert are in Ward 3, Natchitoches parish, Louisiana with children Louisa B., Thomas F., Lucetta, W. M. [William M.] and John W. Gilbert. Previous household is Jessey W. Reid with wife Jerusha, Virginia A. and Sarah B. and Jesse's dau Sarah Eliza.
By 1880 William B. Gilbert is widowed has Willie M., John W., and James with him and lives in Claiborne parish, LA.

Re: Sarah Reid Gilbert - Thomas M Reid related?

Posted: 23 Jan 2012 9:27PM GMT
Surnames: Reid
My relative Thomas M Reid b 1815 GA, died unknown. Thomas was married to Elizabeth A. ?. Their children were Sarah E Reid b. 1949 GA; James C Reid b. 1843 GA; Charles H Reid b 1845 probably GA, maybe AL; Alonzo T Reid b 1847 AL, Thomas Thornton Reid (my kin) b 1850 MS.

I am curious if your Sarah Reid Gilbert is my Thomas Thornton Reids sister?

I have no further details.
Thank you,
PJ Harrison

Posted: 24 Jan 2012 7:17AM GMT
Edited: 24 Jan 2012 7:18AM GMT
Surnames: Reid, Gilbert, Mullins, Miles, Martin, Netherland, Elliott, Smith, Lenoir, Woodruff
As far as I know Sarah's father may be William Reid born about 1780-1790 in Georgia. He died after 1840 and before 1850. His wife was Elizabeth, also born Georgia.
Reid children born in Mississippi:
Jesse Whatley Reid 1818 - 1905 m.1 Jane Woodruff m2 Jerusha Gilbert
Elizabeth Reid m. 1826 - ? m1 Algernon Sidney Lenoir
Enoch Spinks Reid 1828-1913 - m1 Louisa Elliott; m2 Charlotte Netherland;m3 Lucinda Martin; m4 Mary M. Smith
Elbert W. Reid 1830-1872 m. Elizabeth Mullins
Thomas B. Reid 1832-1863 died during Civil war - his will lists all of his living siblings. No wife is listed in the will.
G. Jackson Reid 1834-?
Sarah J. Reid 1836 - bef 1880 -m. William Bird Gilbert
William Reid 1841 - ? m. Elizabeth E. Miles
I don't know about siblings to the father, William Reid. Not absolutely positive that is his correct first name, but believe it is.

Posted: 24 Jan 2012 3:18PM GMT
Thank you so much. At first glance, it does not appear that the two are siblings. However, as they are Reids from Georgia from around the same time, they may more likely than not be related somehow. Possibly cousins. Do you know what area of Georgia your William and Elizabeth Reids are from?

Also, my Thomas M and Amanda Elizabeth Reid first moved to Chickasaw County, MS from somewhere in Georgia before settling in Potts Camp, Marshall County, MS.

Thank you.

Posted: 14 Jun 2012 3:02AM GMT
Have you been able to find anything about Thomas M. Reid? I am stumped on who his parents are. He would be my Great, great, great grandfather.

Posted: 14 Jun 2012 8:16PM GMT
Surnames: Reid, Mullins, Sartin, Thompson, Carney, may, Barnes, Brown, Boon
I have not found my Reid family in Georgia. I believe my Elbert Reid's father [Elbert's wife Eliz Mullins] is the William Reid in 1840-1845 censuses of Pike county MS. His oldest child [Jesse Whatley Reid] is listed just prior to him in these censuses.
Others nearby are Hugh, Parris & William Thompson, John Sartin & [also Joseph, Alfred], Elijah Carney, Joseph May, William Barnes, Penelope Boon [or Brown]. I believe the Sartin and Carney families are from TN, but Barnes may be from Georgia. See the 1840 census for more families in Pike county.

In 1850, William Reid's his younger children and wife Elizabeth (unknown birth name) are in household without him in Marion county. I was assuming he had died, but now am not sure about that. The family is later in Lawrence county, but the mother is last shown in 1860 with daughter Sarah Reid Gilbert in Lawrence county.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic