Search for content in message boards

John LEE & Alice RICHARDS Families

John LEE & Alice RICHARDS Families

Dee Naughton (View posts)
Posted: 2 Oct 2006 10:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Oct 2006 9:15PM GMT
Surnames: LEE, RICHARDS
John LEE and Alice RICHARDS were married in Devon Co., England in 1761. They came to Frederick Co., VA, with some of their children, who had been born in Devon. They seemed to have had at least two more children while living in Frederick Co., VA. I am trying to find if my George LEE is one of their son's, born in VA.. Would anyone have a list of the children of this John and Alice Lee. This family was connected to the estate of John Richards and were part of that settlement. Any help would be appreciated.
I believe this John LEE died in about 1794 leaving a will-would anyone have a copy of this or how I could get a copy-as it may list all of his children.
Thanks so much,
Dee

Check Burlington Co. NJ

Dee Ann Buck (View posts)
Posted: 1 Nov 2006 9:01PM GMT
Edited: 2 Nov 2006 12:39PM GMT
Surnames: richards, lee
I have not been able to connect my John D. Richards to either the Richards families living in Frederick or Fauquier Co. VA. These are two different groups of people.

Until I figure out my own Richards Family, I will not be seeking out documents on the Frederick Co. VA group.

I see in Frederick Co. VA Land Deeds Book 20, Alice Lee the wife of John Lee of Burlington Co. NJ releases her rights to property sold in Frederick Co. VA. So if they left estate records I would check NJ. They sold this land to her brother Henry Richards.

To confuse matters there were other Lee families living in Frederick Co. VA. I can't say they belonged to your group.

I would check Burlington Co. NJ first.

If I run across more about this group of Richards I will post message here.

Re: Check Burlington Co. NJ

Dee Naughton (View posts)
Posted: 2 Nov 2006 5:20AM GMT
Edited: 2 Nov 2006 12:38PM GMT
Surnames: Richards, Lee
Thanks Dee Ann, for the info on John and Alice Richards Lee. Somewhere we have heard that Alice Lee was buried in Burlington, NJ-so you may be right about them having been back there-I am continually checking out that area, besides trying to find more info in Frederick Co. I believe John and Alice Richards Lee came from Harpford, Devon, England to Burlington Co., NJ and then onto Frederick Co., and were involved in the estate settlement of a John Richards, brother to Alice's father, Peter Richards. He left land etc., to Peter's children who would come to Frederick Co., VA to settle the estate. Would he be the John D. Richards you are looking for. It seems to me that he may have died around 1747--I don't have that info available right now-but could he be your connection to the Richards?? Let me know and I will check for that particular info for you.
Thanks again for answering my posting and hopefully you will keep me in mind if you run across anything to help me, and I will do the same on your John D. Richards.
Dee

Re: Check Burlington Co. NJ

Dee Ann Buck (View posts)
Posted: 2 Nov 2006 12:01PM GMT
Edited: 2 Nov 2006 12:38PM GMT
Surnames: richards, fleming
I think we both know about the John Richards leaving his lands to his relations in England. I believe I check the L.D.S. film library for parish records for the needed location, but the records did not start early enough for my John D. Richards.

My John D. Richards was born c1760 to 1769, so if he was a member of John Richards of England to Frederick Co. VA, he would have been born in England. He conducted business in both Fauquier & Frederick Co. VA and died in Tuscaloosa Co. AL 1847. He he had died just a few more years later to be on the 1850, that might have solve my mystery.

I descend from two of his children Thompson H. Richards married in Frederick Co. VA Jane Fleming. Maria Richards married in Fauquier Co. VA to Wm. Edwards. I have copies of both marriage bonds.

As you know John Richards who died in Frederick Co. VA left his property to his brother Peter's children. Peter's children: Henry (not my line), Peter, Mary, Jonathan & Alice (married to John Lee).

I need to know if the above Peter or Jonathan had children. At his time I have not found evidence they did.

Good luck with your research.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions