Search for content in message boards

Milwaukee Clergymen, Charles Masden.

Milwaukee Clergymen, Charles Masden.

Posted: 1 Feb 2005 10:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Masden.
I am looking for information on a minister, I believe was Lutheran. He performed the marriage of a relative and would like to find out the Church he was affiliated with. It was in 1902 and the minister was Rev Charles P. Masden. In the 1900 census he lived in the 4th ward. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Milwaukee Clergymen, Charles Masden.

susan (View posts)
Posted: 2 Feb 2005 12:39AM GMT
Did you look at the actual census sheet? He likely either lived at a rectory or home next to/nearby the church where he ministered. If you haven't already checked, read through the census sheets to find him, then look nearby for the church (it would usually say Such-& Such Church on an address line). Alternatively, if you determine the area of the 4th ward at that time (they did change as the city grew and the ward lines were changed), look or request a look up in a city directory for him, then compare that address to listings of churches (start with Lutheran).

Bob of Brookfield (View posts)
Posted: 2 Feb 2005 2:38PM GMT
I will check Friday in the many historical volumes of Milwaukee that I have read. I know, for a fact, the the Rev. C. P. Masden is listed in the 2nd of 4 volumes written by Gregory. Don't know if it mentions his church but will check it out Friday when I volunteer at historic Forest Home Cemetery for family history research. They are owners of the volumes of history in the private library.

Bob of Brookfield

Bob of Brookfield (View posts)
Posted: 5 Feb 2005 2:19AM GMT
Looked it up today while I volunteered family history researching for people. The Rev. Charles Masden was the pastor of what was originally called The Spring Street Methodist Church. It was located at 2nd & Spring St. Spring was later changed to Grand Avenue and then changed again to Wisconsin Avenue. Their church burned down and some months later they purchased the Spring St. Congregation Church. Lo and behold, that one burned to the ground also. They built a new church at 5th & Spring in which they worshipped until 1906 when they sold it for the land value. They then moved further west and erected a large church building on the northwest corner of Wisconsin Avenue & Tenth St.
I don't find them listed in the present day Yellow Pages, though, under Churches. I would guess that they might have moved further west and became The Central United Methodist Church at 639 N. 25th St. with the phone number of 414-344-1600, Zip 53233.
It might be better, though, to contact first the United Methodist Milwaukee Regional office at 1442 N. Farwell Avenue (53202) with the phone number of 414-271-5080. they would be able to tell you if it is the same church, where the records might be kept and who to contact. This is probably more than you asked for but I felt it might be relevant in your research.

Bob of Brookfield

Krys (View posts)
Posted: 5 Feb 2005 1:19PM GMT
Surnames: Wilcox, Matzenburg
Thanks Bob, its not too much intormation. Since I know when they were married I can better find the name and location of the Church at that time.
Thanks again
Krys

Posted: 15 Apr 2009 7:41PM GMT
Surnames: Masden, Byrn
Rev. Charles Pitman Masden was born April 28, 1843 in Delaware. Died in 1930 in California.
He was associated with the Methodist Episcopal church.

Have more information, if interested.

David Bridge

Posted: 15 Jan 2012 7:35PM GMT
Surnames: Masden
Rev. CP Masden was my great grandfather and I would be very interested in any information you have. Please send a reply to jhw6389@optonline.net

Posted: 22 Feb 2012 9:52PM GMT
Surnames: Masden
There would likely be obits for Rev. Masden in the Milwaukee Journal and/or Milwaukee Sentinel of that day, but there was definitely an obituary in the local German language daily edition as found in the index: Milwaukee's German Newspapers; an index of death notices and related items", covering 1844-1950.

Contact me for the citation.

Gary Rebholz
Milwaukee, Wis.
gary.rebholz@gmail.com

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 12:42AM GMT
Do you have information about his parents?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic