Search for content in message boards

St Mary's, Athlone - Croghan's

St Mary's, Athlone - Croghan's

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 11:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Croghan
Does anyone know how I can obtain records from the above parish?
I have located the following on ancestry.com and am wondering if the parish records contain further info on these individuals, plus if I could review the parish records perhaps I could find more Croghan ancestors:

Jacobum Croghan; baptised 13 Mar 1859; parents listed as Jacobi Croghan & Maria Annae Ryan
Brigidam Croghan; baptised 9 Jun 1861; parents listed as Jacobi Croghan & Mariae Annae Ryan
Mariam Croghan; baptised 25 Oct 1863; parents listed as Jacobi Croghan & Maria Anna Ryan

I know that the parents (known in Australia as James and Mary Ann) and son Jacobum (known as James as well) immigrated to Australia in 1865, but it appears that both daughters remained in Ireland.

All I know of the 2 girls is that they were still alive in 1900. I am hoping that they married at St Mary’s as well.

Thanks & Regards,

Jo Hutchison

Re: St Mary's, Athlone - Croghan's

Posted: 22 Feb 2013 5:30AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello Jo,

The Latter Day Saints (LDS) have filmed the parish registers for the St. Mary’s Athlone Catholic Church, County Westmeath. The film covers baptisms from 1813-1827, and again from 1834-1970. The film also covers St. Mary’s marriages from 1813-1827, and from 1834 to 1868. This means if James Croghan and Maria Ryan were married in St. Mary’s, their marriage record may have been recorded. Likewise you can search the parish registers for the baptisms of James (1859); Bridget (1861); and Mariam (1863. Any children born before 1859 or from 1864 to 1868, may also have baptism records in the St. Mary’s Athlone Catholic Church.

In addition, if James Croghan and Maria Ryan were born in Athlone after 1833, their individual baptism records may also be in the St. Mary Athlone Catholic Church.

See below for information and microfilm number:

Parochial registers of St. Mary's Athlone (Westmeath), 1813-1984

authors: Catholic Church. Parish of St. Mary's Athlone (Westmeath)

publication: Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1984

physical: on 2 microfilm reels ; 16 mm.

Notes

Microfilm of original at Athlone, Co. Westmeath, Ireland.

Some writing is faded and illegible.

High reduction film (42X). Use high magnification reader.

The Catholic parish of St. Mary's (Athlone) covers the same area as the civil parish. St. Mary's is in the Westmeath part of Athlone, in the Diocese of Ardagh and Clonmacnoise. There are two chapels: St. Mary's in Athlone, and Our Lady of Peace in Coosan.

Baptisms, 1813-1827, 1834-1970; marriages, 1813-1827, 1834-1868; deaths, 1813-1827.

Family History Library BRITISH Film: 1279225 Items 4 – 14
____

The St. Mary’s parish registers can be found on LDS microfilm number 1279225. You can order this film from your nearest Family History Center.

Good Luck and Kind Regards,

Dave Boylan
per page

Find a board about a specific topic