Search for content in message boards

Whiteside family

Whiteside family

Andrew Whiteside (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Whiteside, Foster, West, Stewart, Hamilton, Cuffe, Craig
I am researching the Whiteside families of counties Sligo and Mayo and am in touch with family members in Australia, Canada and the United States. The main parishes in question are Ballisodare and Ballysumaghan in Co. Sligo and Ballysakeery and Kilmoremoy in Co. Mayo.

I'd be glad to share information. I have a lot of gaps but even still have plenty of data, dating from the early 18th century to the present.

Re: Whiteside family

Al O'Brien (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jul 2002 9:01PM GMT
Andrew,
On Oct. 12, 1850 the ship DROMAHAIR arrived at NEW YORK from SLIGO.
Aboard were Margaret(19) and Maryanne(18) WHITEHEAD
No other information is given. I thought I'd pass this on in case it of importance to you or others researching the name in SLIGO.
Al O'Brien

Posted: 18 Jul 2002 5:40PM GMT
Surnames: Whiteside
Al,

Thanks a lot for this information. I had known about these two women but do not know which families they came from or what happened when they got to America. I had in fact thought that the 'Dromahair' was bound for Boston - so it's useful to know that they arrived in New York.

Please confirm that the spelling 'Whitehead' in your message is a typo for 'Whiteside'.

I would welcome any information about these two women and their lives in America.

Andrew

Al O'Brien (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jul 2002 9:25PM GMT
Andrew,
That was a typo. I meant WHITESIDE. In the seven volumes of THE FAMINE IMMIGRANTS there are dozens of WHITESIDES listed. If you would like, I'll send you the details.
Al O'Brien

Posted: 19 Jul 2002 8:41AM GMT
Al, thanks for clarifying the spelling.

It's good of you to offer to send me the Whiteside details from 'The Famine Immigrants'. I'm not sure how useful it will be to have that information because it will be difficult to know where in Ireland they came from. Most Whiteside families in Ireland are in the northeast of the country and are not related (except in a most remote way) to the Whiteside families of counties Mayo and Sligo. On the other hand, given that the Famine hit the west of Ireland more severely than the northeast, maybe it will be possible to work on the basis that Whiteside immigrants were less likely to have been from the northeast. We'll see.

Many thanks.

Andrew

Posted: 11 Sep 2007 6:29AM GMT
Hi Andrew,
I have just come 'on board' and discovered your note on the Whiteside families from Sligo.
I have in my line Elizabeth Whiteside, it says on her death cert 'born Sligo' and I working it back to say circa 1809. She married a Thomas Stewart in Sligo circa 1835.
They then came to NSW Australia with a young family approx 1843 onwards. I cannot find shipping records as to exact dates at present.
Thomas is my Gt Grandfather and we have the family history for out here in Australia, but sadly nothing for Ireland.
It does state Elizabeth's Father was John Whiteside and Mother was Sarah Dickson/Dixon Thomas's parents were James Stewart/Mary Ann Cummings.
Would you have any of these names in your files on these families at all?
I look forward to hearing from you in due course.
With thanks,
Mary.

Posted: 12 Sep 2007 8:44AM GMT
I live in Co.Sligo. I Know a family with the surname Whiteside.They live in Collooney Co.Sligo. Some of the family I think still live there.This man owned a car business and for many years I bought my cars and had them serviced in his garage. When he died the busines was sold but his sons still live in the area.Mr Whiteside had a business partner who is still in the automobile business in Co.Sligo.I could contact him for you .The Irish 1901 census in on line at theis web site
http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/1901census/census.shtml
The Church of Ireland records in these area should be of help to you. I can get the names of the rectors for you.
If I can be of help contact me at.

killarguekennels@hotmail.com
Rosaleen Scanlon

Posted: 14 Sep 2007 11:00AM GMT
Thanks, Rosaleen, for your willingness to help. I already have plenty of details on the family you mentioned in Collooney. They come from the same farmstead as my greatgrandparents out near Sooey.

Posted: 25 Jun 2009 6:26AM GMT
I noticed that you listed "Craig" as a surname of interest to you. I am looking for information on John Craig born about 1812 and James Craig born in about 1816 in County Sligo. My research has shown that some Craig families lived in Ballisodare at that time. Do you have any information on Craig families that lived in that parish during the late eighteenth and early ninteenth centuries? Do you have info on Craigs that lived in any County Sligo parish from about 1780 to 1840? Any info would be appreciated.

Paula

Posted: 25 Jun 2009 6:11PM GMT
Surnames: Craig
I've just this week put up information on the Craigs in my family tree (http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/pedigree.aspx?tid=11763085). It doesn't go back to your query but bear in mind that Ballisodare parish extends all the way to the village of Collooney.

Andrew
per page

Find a board about a specific topic