Search for content in message boards

Greenberry or Green Berry (given name)

Greenberry or Green Berry (given name)

Posted: 2 Nov 2005 5:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
In the early 1800s this name was very common. Was it popular because it was the name of a Revolutionary War hero? A politician? Someone else famous? It seems to appear in many families at that time, though it may have been around for some time.

Re: Greenberry or Green Berry (given name)

Posted: 3 Nov 2005 10:37AM GMT
Edited: 4 Nov 2006 10:41AM GMT
Greenberry as a given name seems to have been in honour of one Colonel Nicholas Greenberry (1627-1697), Indian fighter, politician and Governor of the State of Maryland. Early 17th century. Greenberry was a early settler in that state, having come over from England.

To quote from a message board on RootsWeb.com.

"His children (including three daughters) and grandchildren married with many of the other notable familes of early Maryland and the given name Greenberry continues to this day amongst their descendants. GREENBERRY as a surname became extinct upon the death of his son Charles (who had no issue). But there seem to have been many others in the ensuing years who were named in his honor though not directly related."

Hope this is of help, Margaret.

Posted: 3 Nov 2005 3:56PM GMT
Surnames: Greenberry
Thanks! There had been some speculation that the name indicated a relationship between various families, but it appears that it may not, and that it might have just become a fairly common name by the 1800s.

Kat (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jul 2006 12:46PM GMT
Thanks so much for the info, Margaret. I will add the info in. Sincerely, Kat

Albert Gallatin (given name)

Posted: 29 Jul 2006 5:29PM GMT
Surnames: Waldrop, Gallatin
It's interesting how often we see an unusual name, assume the original holder must have been an ancestor, and then discover that he (it's usualy a he) was someone famous, and that many sons in many different families were named for him.

For instance, in one of my collateral lines there was an Albert Gallatin Waldrop. I just discovered from a TV program about the Atlantic Inland Waterway that the original Albert Gallatin was a Secretary of the Treasury from 1801-1814, and was an early proponent of the system of canals that eventually made the Waterway possible. Nothing to do with the Waldrops at all!

Re: Albert Gallatin (given name)

Kat (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jul 2006 1:20PM GMT
margaret, Yes it is very interesting how these name continue to be carried on!! Kat

Posted: 14 May 2012 9:19PM GMT
Thanks for the info on this famous Greenberry.

Posted: 4 Jun 2013 5:23PM GMT
Edited: 4 Jun 2013 9:15PM GMT
it has always been my understanding that the name Greenberry, or Green Berry was a name given to someone who was new to the larger overall "Berry" clan...people comprised of the descendants of the Gualish (Gallic-Celtic) families that arrived in this country from British territories, and also from France. This could be through adoption, or a through a family alliance. Similar in the way that people new to something are called "green horns." This name leads to the idea of the difference between a family tree on paper, and a "genetic' family tree. They are rarely the same. I have many Greenberrys in my KY family.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic