Search for content in message boards

JAMES GREGORY, BORN IN 1796 IN NC

JAMES GREGORY, BORN IN 1796 IN NC

Posted: 23 Apr 2007 3:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am researching a James Gregory who was born in 1796 in NC. He moved to Stoddard Co., Missouriin 1830. We know that before he came to MO he was living in Morgan Co., Indiana as some of his children were born there and one of his daughters, Martha "Patsy" Gregory married a Matthew Moren in Morgan Co. IN on Feb. 11, 1835. One of his sons Thomas, was born in IN in 1830 and then James and family are on the 1830 census in Stoddard Co. So they must have left Indiana sometime after Thomas was born and the census was taken that year. James Sr. also had a son named James Buchanan Gregory, born in 1842 in Stoddard Co., MO.
Matthew and Martha Gregory Moren also move to Stoddard Co., MO. Their children are living with relatives there on the 1850 census. We cannot find the parents and think they may have died when a Typhoid Fever epidemic broke out in Stoddard and Dunklin counties in MO in 1849-1850. Their youngest daughter, Amanda, was born in 1849 in MO. We can find no trace of her after 1850.
My cousin, who is also helping with this research, and I, thought that maybe he was the son of the William Gregory that was in Morgan Co., IN and then moved to Louisa Co., IA. But another Web Site I visited said that William's son, James, died on a boat trip and was buried at sea. Our James Gregory is still alive on the 1880 census and as far as we know, he died in Stoddard or Dunklin Co., MO, He was over 84 when he died so we thought it unlikely that he would be on a boat on a business trip at that age.
He is related to us through marriage. We have been told by other Gregory family members from the Stoddard/Dunklin Co., MO area that he is William's son. We have also been told that he married a Sarah Kitchen in 1830 in Morgan Co., IN. We thought that might be true as quite a lot of the Kitchen family also moved from Morgan Co., IN. to Stoddard Co. MO.
I am hoping that perhaps someone might know of them and be able to help me to figure out who he is and if he is indeed William Gregory's son, James.
I have more information on James and his family. I would appreciate any help in connecting these Gregory's. Does anyone know where I might be able to get earlier Obituaries on the Gregory family? Thanks a lot.
Charlotte Christensen

Re: JAMES GREGORY, BORN IN 1796 IN NC

Posted: 23 Apr 2007 4:17PM GMT
Surnames: gregory
James gregory was born Feb 9,,1796 bunscombe County NC the son of William Gregory Sr and Elizabeth Fanny. His first wife Sally Graves died in Unicoi County Tn. He died in tahe Yucatan and was buried at see. James married Eliazbeth Lee and Sarah Kitchen. Children Rhonda, Leroy, Robert,. Lydia, Benjamin, Alfred Narcissa Lawrence, Mary Elijan, Henry, Rebecca, and Edwin. He dided in l843. He He moved to KY 3, and to Indiana in in l813. He served in The Indiana legislature and senate.

I am related to the Gregorys throug William jr. His son's Dennis's daughter Mary was my great grandmother

Frederick H.Richard
fbrichard@earthlink.net

Posted: 23 Apr 2007 5:04PM GMT
If you post this message on Morgan County Indiana website, most likely you will be answered by a wonderful lady, Patty Gregory, who has the family history for most of the Gregorys living in Morgan Co., IN.
Susan

Posted: 23 Apr 2007 10:23PM GMT
I am sorry, I need to correct the year that James Gregory went to Missouri. It was between 1830 and 1840, as his son, James Buchanan Gregory, was born in MO in 1842. I got my years mixed up.

Posted: 23 Apr 2007 10:29PM GMT
Hi Frederick.
Thank you for answering my posting. Was it William who died at and was buried at sea? I have read William's will that is posted on-line.
Do you have a death date for William? Also, do you have any information about his son, James, moving to Missouri between 1830 and 1840? I would appreciate any help you can give. If my James Gregory is the son of your William Gregory, you have a lot of relatives in Missouri and scattered about. I will be waiting to hear from you. Thank you.
Charlotte

Posted: 23 Apr 2007 10:34PM GMT
Hi Susan;
Thank you for answering my query. I have been in touch with Pat Gregory and she, like my other cousin and I, have not been able to prove the connection by any documentation, between William Gregory and our James Gregory. We are pretty sure it is him but we are trying to find an Obituary or paper or something that will connect the two of them positivley if we can. We have James listed on William's will, but his name is all it gives. Any help would be greatly appreciate and thank you for your help.
Charlotte

Posted: 24 Apr 2007 11:25AM GMT
Surnames: Gregory
William Gregory Sr was born l951 in Pittslyvania Co Va the son of Philemon. He died l806 in Bunscombe County NC. I have not been able to locate his grave. He was a local Methodist Minister. He had two wifes Sally Graves and Elizabeth Fanny. James was his son.

William Jr. was born Feb 8,1776 in Pittslyvania Co Va.He died Sept 25.l858 in Lousia County Iowa. He is buried in Concord Cem. The will you refer to that is on the web is his. He also had a son James. He had four wives and 23 children.

James was born Feb 9, l796 in Bunscombe Co NC. He died in l843 in the Yucatan and was buried at sea. There is an excellent biography on Shelby Co Web site. Indiana Gen Web project, That biography does not have him in Mo in l830. Possibly could be son of William Jr.

Posted: 24 Apr 2007 4:35PM GMT
Thank you for your help I really appreciate it. this is the information that I have gotten from Ancestry other Gregory researchers. Maybe you can confirm it all for me.
I have that a James B. Gregory, born in 1785 in Buncombe Co., NC, was the son of William F. Gregory Sr. and Elizabeth Fanny. This James died in 1843 in Yucatan Mexico, or on his way back and was buried at sea. That this James B. Gregory was married to an Elizabeth Lee? And that they had 12 children between 1805 and 1832. Some born in NC and some in Shelby and Warren Co., IN.
The James I am trying to find out information on the James Gregory, born in 1796 in SC and was the son of William Gregory Jr. and Nancy Laws. According to what I have been told, He was married before Sarah Kitchen. This is according to the birth of his older children. They had four daughters and one son.
Then on Nov. 6, 1830, he married a Sarah Kitchen in Morgan Co., IN. They had we believe, 6 children. James moved to Stoddard Co., MO between 1838 and 1840. We are not sure if Sarah was still with him in 1850 because for some reason he refused to give any information on his family on the 1850 census. Some of his children are living in Stoddard Co., too but with other relatives. By the 1860 census he is remarried to a Matilda.
Do you have any infromation on William Gregory Jr.'s son, James?

Posted: 25 Apr 2007 10:59AM GMT
Surnames: Gregory
I think we have one too many James .The James we are looking at is really the son of William Jr. and Nancy Laws.
He was born Feb 9,l796 in Buncombe County NC. and died Mayl843 in the Yucatan of Yellow Fever. He was buroed at sea.
He married Elizabeth Lee and Sarah Kitchen. He He went to KY and stayed 3 years, then to Indiana. He lived in four different counties,Washington,Harrison, Warren and Shelby.
His children are Rhonda, Leroy, Robert Crockett,Lydia, Benjamin,Alfred, Narcissa, Lawrence, Mary, elijah, Henry
Clay, Rebecca, and Edwin

I have no record of him going to MO, if you find it I would like to have it

Posted: 25 Apr 2007 5:56PM GMT
I am sorry, I am a little confused with so many having the same names. Could you please tell me where you got your information on William Gregory Sr. and his son James?
Maybe if I can see it I can unscamble them all in my head. Thanks
Charlotte
per page

Find a board about a specific topic