researching John Shaw my GGGrandfather

researching John Shaw my GGGrandfather

Rob Shaw (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jan 2002 4:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Jan 2013 2:21PM GMT
Surnames: SHAW, LECHAT, LACHAT
Hi
My GGGrandfather was born Jean Baptiste LECHAT but I don't know where. He moved to Amherstburg, Ontario (near the Windsor-Detroit border) sometime after 1804 and later anglicized his name to SHAW. I have not been able to find where he came from. I suspect that because his wife and children visited relatives in Ohio and Michigan area that perhaps they came from Fort Detroit or the family landed in that area from Quebec or France, spreading into Ohio, Ontario and Michigan.
Therefore, I would really like to chat with any SHAWs of French heritage whose family at one time lived in Ohio or MIchigan USA or Ontario Canada.
BTW if you are an Ontario Shaw of French heritage, so far, my branch of the family is the only one I can find that list their heritage as French on the 1871 census.
thanks a lot
Rob

Re: researching John Shaw my GGGrandfather

Posted: 18 Jul 2002 7:48PM GMT
Edited: 11 Mar 2005 11:34PM GMT
Hello Rob,

My branch of the Grondin family descends from Joseph Grondin who moved to the Detroit river region sometime in the late 18th century. Joseph married Archange Renuad in 1801. They start in Sandwich, drift around the Canadian side a little and end up in Amherstburg ca 1820. They had a number of children, including a daughter named Victoire Grondin who married a man named John Shaw in St John the Baptist parish, Amherstburg. John Shaw's parents are not listed. I have went through the church registry (on microfilm from LDS) and tried to track down these Shaws, or Chats or Chars and will be very willing to share this data from you. I didn't think of looking for Lechat or Lechar though.

Now, there is a book by Denissen entitled "Genealogy of French Fanilies of the Detroit River Region" which lists a family of a John Shaw, living in Detroit in the late 18th century. I haven't found a connection between my Shaws and these Shaws. The John Shaw described by Denissen marries three times and has children listed by the second two wives. One of these children is named John Baptist. One of the flaws in Denissen's book is that he anglicizes all of the French names so I am very confident that this person was known as Jean Baptiste Shaw.

Rob Shaw (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jul 2002 9:08PM GMT
Surnames: SHAW
Attn: Bob Grondin

Hey Bob!
thanks for your reply. It appears we are distantly related. John and Victoire (Grondin) SHAW are my GGGrandparents. I did find out just last year that John was born Jean Baptiste LeChat but I don't know where.
I would welcome a chat with you to compare notes on our genealogy if you wish to reply to me at robshaw@sentex.net.
Currently, I live in Toronto Ontario.
thanks
Rob Shaw

Posted: 6 Jun 2003 12:13AM GMT
Edited: 12 Jun 2003 8:53PM GMT
Surnames: Shaw/Strawbridge
Rob, in response to you query over a year ago, my ggranmother Rachel Strawbridge, married a ?? Shaw in Michigan. I am unsure as to what his name was but am trying to trace my family with very little information to go on. I do know that Rachel married again to a man by the name of Henry Adams, and they lived in Manistique, Michigan. Rachel had 5 children, 1) Theodore (Ted) Strawbridge-- now lives in Coloma, Michigan, 2)Earl Shaw?-may have been Strawbridge, 3) Mary Jane Strawbridge took the name of Shaw-lived in Benton Harbor, Michigan until she passed away in December 2000, 4) Dorothy, I believe was a Shaw, and 5) my grandmother Iris Jeanine Strawbridge/Shaw was born somewhere in northern Michigan, either Kawkawlin or Topinabee, and lived her entire life in Michigan untill she went to be with her lord on November 13, 2001. I hope that helps you, if not, maybe you could help me??

Rob (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jun 2003 6:49PM GMT
HI Shawnna
thanks for your reply. My ancestor was born Jean Baptiste LeChat in 1804 in France. He came to Canada through Michigan?? I believe as he had relatives there. He anglicized his name to John Shaw sometime before the 1840's and lived the remainder of his life in Amherstburg, Ontario (near Windsor). His wife Victorine moved to Raisin (or is it Rouge) River area of Michigan near the Ohio border to live with her daughter, however I believe there were other Shaws in the area as well.
In my searches thus far I have found that my Shaw family line is the only one who noted French as their language of birth on a census. Our line only stopped speaking French in my parent's generation.
If your Shaw ancestors did not speak French then it is doubtful that we are from the same line.
good luck in your search!
Rob Shaw

Posted: 10 Jun 2003 12:44AM GMT
Edited: 8 Nov 2004 12:17AM GMT
Rob, as a fellow Shaw searching for relatives, I thought I would confirm that it is the Raisin River area you refer to. This is near Monroe, Michigan which is near the Ohio border and is the home of General Custer. Happy searching!

Rob (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jun 2003 1:57AM GMT
Hi Sue
Thank you for that clarification. Are you related to this Shaw line? If so, perhaps I have information for you. My Shaw line is of French descent as you probably noticed.
regards
Rob

Posted: 10 Jun 2003 10:06AM GMT
Edited: 8 Nov 2004 12:17AM GMT
Hello Rob. I have little information on my Shaw line at this point so I'm not sure, although so far I've not found information that indicated our line spoke French. The names I am searching are from the London, Ontario area:

Charles Ernest Shaw, b 1874, d 1937, m to Annie Barnes. Their son, Charles Ernest Shaw Jr, is my grandfather. Born 10Apr1904, d 31Dec1987 in Grand Rapids, MI. In or around 1930 Charles Jr came to Detroit. He and my grandmother, Enid Radford, divorced shortly before he came to Detroit.

That is pretty much all I have right now.

Sue

Rob Shaw (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jun 2003 4:22PM GMT
Surnames: SHAW
Hi Sue
You should visit an Ontario government web site that has a searchable index of the 1871 Canada census. I'm sorry I do not have the URL as I lost it in my last computer crash but it probably could be easily found by typing "1871 census Ontario" at google.com. I found many Shaw's listed there including from the Ontario region. In my search, I had determined that London area Shaws were not related to my line as they were not French speaking.
Good luck in your search!
Rob

Posted: 30 May 2004 7:10AM GMT
Surnames: Shaw, Strawbridge
Dear Rob,
I am trying to find information on a Rachel Shaw that married an Edmund Strawbridge from England. It is not exactly the same, but too weird not to ask you about. This Rachel was born in 1907 in Bellaire, Michigan.
Cathy Ardman
my email is cardman@kona.midcoast.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions