Search for content in message boards

SHANLEY, Frank & Catherine

SHANLEY, Frank & Catherine

Posted: 8 Apr 2013 7:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for any info on Shanleys; left Ireland 1850-1860 period. Frank was a farm laborer; 2 sons: Peter & Michael and
1 daughter: Marie settled in Haslingden, County Lancshire, England and worked in textiles. Catholic religion

Re: SHANLEY, Frank & Catherine

Posted: 28 Apr 2013 12:14AM GMT
1871 UK Census
Frank Shanley 70 Back of Pleasant St. Haslingden, born Ireland (no county)
Catherine 60 born Ireland
Marie 30 Cotton operator born Ire
Michael 20 same
Jane 37 daugh in law 27 born Burnley
William 8 grandson born Haslingden
John 2 grandson (can't read)
Patrick 2 mo. Haslingden

1871 Peter Shanley born Ireland, whole family cotton operatives
Maria 29
Bridget 13, Thomas 10, Mary 12, Patrick 6 Catherine 8(?)
Ann 4 (not working)

You are posted on the Westmeath board but I was unable to
find Shanley's in that county, however, there is both a Peter and a Francis in Leitrim County, Motrim Parish. Others with same surname, Michael, Daniel, Bernard, Malachi, Peter and Francis.

Both Leitrim and Westmeath are members of an Irish History Foundation with baptisms and marriages. There were not a lot of either Francis/Frank or Peter's, other names pretty common. You can do an all Ireland search or limit to a county.

There are more Shanley's in Westmeath in the Tithe Applotments an early census substitute 1823-1837.
www.genealogy.nationalarchives.ie

Griffith Valuation of Westmeath shows 37 Shanley's in 1854 but no Francis/Frank or Peter. Frank at least would have his own land by then as he would have been about 1854, even
Peter would of been old enough to have his own holding.
www.askaboutireland.ie

The Westmeath telephone book shows 6 Shanley's, one in Mullingar even named Peter. Six photocopied letters with the information you have is inexpensive genealogy. There are 33 in Leitrim.
Its worth a try and addresses given are sufficient for
mail delivery.

There are so many gaps in the history/genealogy of Ireland with 50 years between records. The best thing is to try
the foundation for the births of Peter (son) and Marie
as Michael is a more common name. Farmers are not mentioned
in directories till 1881 & 1894.

Annette Code
(no relation)

Posted: 28 Apr 2013 2:14AM GMT
Edited: 28 Apr 2013 2:16AM GMT
Dear Annette,

Thank you so much; I do appreciate your help and I will follow up. Since Frank/Francis was a farm laborer, I wouldn't expect him to appear in Griffith Valuation, correct?

Kate

Posted: 28 Apr 2013 3:55AM GMT
Kate:
Being a farm labourer would not mean he didn't have a house he should be renting/leasing. If he lived on an Estate and worked there he should still be in Griffiths in Westmeath 1854. You see a variety in Griffiths.

Here is an eg:

Bridget Shanley, Parish of Killulagh, Townland Williamstown
(Rochford) tenant of Robert & William Hunt, Poor Law Union/Civil Registration District Castletowndelvin

2d house and garden 0 acres 0 roods & 12 perches

1 perch = 18'x18'

Perhaps Francis/Frank was already in England in 1854 I only have the 1841 & 1871 Census identifying persons born in Ireland.

Thomas Shanley, Parish of Drumraney, Townland Bryanmore Lower, PLU/CRD Ballymahon

1b house, outbuilding and land shared with 1a Michael Cormick, 40 acres 3 roods 4 perches

William Shanley, Parish of Noughaval, Townland Bawn, PLU/CRD Ballymahan, tenant of William Chapman

1A land 3.0.6
1B land 3.1.5

2 land 10.3.20

7c garden 0.0.20 renting this from Michael Shanley

Question here is where is William living no of the above
had a house.

Annette
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions