Search for content in message boards

Meddin parish in Rochfortbridge

Meddin parish in Rochfortbridge

Posted: 20 Apr 2013 1:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Apr 2013 1:04PM GMT
Does anyone have knowledge of Meddin parish locatation or know how to find parish records/headstones in that cemetery? I am looking for Hyland and Blaney connections in this area. If so, please email me kjmannisto@aol.com.
Thank you
Karen

Re: Meddin parish in Rochfortbridge

Posted: 27 Apr 2013 7:20PM GMT
Westmeath parish records are online with an Irish History
Foundation, although not for profit a fee is charged. This is the norm for Irish genealogy. The RC Parish of Rochfortbridge has records from 1822 for baptisms and 1817 for marriages to 1900.

There are 7 Hyland's in the current on line telephone book for Westmeath, 1 in Rochbridge. 0 Blaney's in Westmeath some in surrounding counties as well as Dublin but only 10.

You can perhaps find headstones inscriptions by contacting a Museum or History Society, many counties have made the
effort to transcribe gravestones. Usually produced into
Journals. Perhaps the WM Library.

Unable to find a Parish Meddin, however, not to stay it didn't exist. Parish have been amalgamated, added to, subtracted from etc. It may have been a townland rather than a parish and cemetaries sometimes had different names from a Parish as there were cemetaries that were not in a church.

A website also fee for service shows all the gravestone inscriptions/cemetaries for Westmeath and where the records
are stored.

www.genealogy.nationalarchives.ie (census substitute)1823-37

www.askaboutireland.ie (census substitute 1854)

www.census.nationalarchives.ie 1901/11 census

Annette Code
no relation

Posted: 28 Apr 2013 1:53PM GMT
The area you mention is Meedin not Meddin.
It is a 2nd Chuch and Cemetary of Rochfortbridge Parish.
It ia a particularly peaceful place of rest.
Hyland is a local name in the general area and there may be head stones with the name in Meedin,
If you hace not learned more I will check on my next visit and send you word.
Blaney is not a name I am familiar with in the general area.
Meedin is between Tyrrellspass and Rochfortbridge

Posted: 14 May 2013 4:29PM GMT
Hi re your post on Hyland and Meedin, my Grandmother was a Hyland (maiden name). We have several family plots in Meedin Cemetery 1 of which is where my Gran is burried. As far as I know her branch of Hylands originated in Moate. Feel free to send me a mail if there is anything I can help you out with

Posted: 18 May 2013 9:08PM GMT
Surnames: HYLAND and BLANEY
Thank you for spelling Meedin correctly for me. I will be visiting the area in less than two weeks therefore I will see what I can find in the cemetery.
Can you tell me what road will get me to Meedin as I will be traveling from Dublin.
Even if I find Hylands in the cemetery, not sure how they will be related to me as my Morris Hyland married Mary Blaney in 1837 in Rochfortbridge, no parents listed and not sure in what parish. i do know Mary Blaney parents are John Blaney and Margaret, but they all moved to America after 1837. Have no idea how to find Johns parents or Morris parents. Do you know of any history buffs in the area that I could connect to? Thank you. Karen

Posted: 20 May 2013 8:09PM GMT

Take the M4 from Dublin and move to the M6 near Kinnegad.
Leave the motorway at the exit for Tyrrellspass traveling towards Mullingar. Leaving Tyrrellspass to your left take the turn to your right about 2 miles down the Mullingar road.Roughly 1 hour
It has Meedin indicated. Its a narrow road but you will find Meedin Church and Cemetary.
If you continue on the road after visiting the Cemetary you will pass a farm house on your right This family may be able to help. Other than that travel on to Rochfortbridge taking the left turn on to main road after a small hamlet called Gneevebawn . I think there are Hyland famililies in the general area of Farthingstown and Rahinquill both only a few miles apart and near Gneevbawn

Posted: 20 May 2013 8:09PM GMT

Take the M4 from Dublin and move to the M6 near Kinnegad.
Leave the motorway at the exit for Tyrrellspass traveling towards Mullingar. Leaving Tyrrellspass to your left take the turn to your right about 2 miles down the Mullingar road.Roughly 1 hour
It has Meedin indicated. Its a narrow road but you will find Meedin Church and Cemetary.
If you continue on the road after visiting the Cemetary you will pass a farm house on your right This family may be able to help. Other than that travel on to Rochfortbridge taking the left turn on to main road after a small hamlet called Gneevebawn . I think there are Hyland famililies in the general area of Farthingstown and Rahinquill both only a few miles apart and near Gneevbawn

Posted: 21 May 2013 3:30AM GMT
If you should see Kenny or Byrne please let me know my family was from Rochfortbridge.

Thank you,
Betty Kenney Clavin

Posted: 3 Apr 2014 1:52AM GMT
I too have ancestors from the Gibbonstown/Rochfortbridge area. I've been looking for the burial site of the Keogh family, father John, mother Anne Conlan - parents of John, Thomas, Martin, Mary, Richard, Joseph, Patrick, Michael. My gr-grandfather was Thomas Keogh, but the spelling was eventually changed when they arrived in the states to 'Kehoe' which is how we spell it today. I would also like to find John Keogh's parents if possible. Are the records kept at the local church? If so, what is the name? Any info is appreciated. Thank you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic