Search for content in message boards

McColley from County Westmeath

McColley from County Westmeath

Posted: 4 May 2013 7:43AM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm looking for George McColley came to Maryland wife was Cynthia....I found a George and Sina McCollough and later changed to McColly and then Colley/Colly. Is there anyone reseaching this family? and does anyone have any good links for info before 1800 or suggestions My niece wants to put the McColley shield as a tatoo but not sure I have the right info and they don't believe it's that hard to find ;o)
thank you. Janet McColley Franklin

Re: McColley from County Westmeath

Posted: 23 May 2013 2:57PM GMT
Not researching family but the following might help.

Unless the family were originally from England, there would be no coat of arms. There are many companies set up to sell irish history of names but not all are correct. Mc could be Scotland originally. There were lots of transplanted Scot and English farmers to Ireland. She should pick the one she likes best and go with that.

Don't worry about spellings so much but consider them all, depended on the person writing down the information.

Spellings are varied:

Griffith Valuation - a census substitute shows spellings as Coley 17, Colley 5, Collie 2, Colly 6, McColly 2 (Dublin City)(1st. resource)
www.askaboutireland.ie (spelling specific)

Colley is rare: English, related to the Wellesley of the Midland UK also in Irish
O'Colla in Connacht and Rscommon MacCui'lle

Spellings in the 1851 Dublin Census were different again
McAuley, McOley and McCowley

The Tithe Applotments 1823-1837 are also used as an early census (most census were destroyed in Ireland - you can find the 1901/1911 on line.

Tithe Applotments
www.genealogy.nationalarchives:

26 Colley's, 9 Wexford, 1 sligo, 1 Carbury Kildare,
1 Carlow and 7 in Donegal/Tyrone

William, Parish Ardnucher, Tully, Westmeath 1827

www.census.nationalarchives.ie 1901/1911 Census
There are 18 Colley's listed for Westmeath

There are 29 Colley's listed in the telephone book for
Westmeath.

Have you any idea of when they married as Westmeath baptism and marriage records are on line at www.rootsireland.ie
there is a fee.

Annette Code

Posted: 24 May 2013 2:32AM GMT
Edited: 24 May 2013 4:01PM GMT
And don't forget Cully and Culley, also from Westmeath and Meath.

Posted: 24 May 2013 2:55PM GMT
Thank you for your information. I'll check them out.

Not sure when they were married. Dad told me the family came from Westmeath so I've been looking for info there. I'm up to my 4th great grandparents but have a feeling one set is missing and that George and Cynthia could be my 5th.
I do know they were here in the 1700s and most records I've found were 1800 and after and don't help me.

I agree with the info about the coat of arms but I'm the researcher in the family and they don't believe me LOL... So I'll let them use the one they want the motto is danger is sweet and it fits them to the T.

My brother is wanting to get the DNA test done with the group that is suppose to show which ancester we came from.

Thanks again, I do appreciate it. Maybe Maryland will get more info available eventually.
Janet

Posted: 25 May 2013 2:50AM GMT
Edited: 27 May 2013 7:34PM GMT
If you can get 5 documented generations of ancestors you can apply to become an honorary Irish citizen. Annette
ps I think it is on www.irishgenealogy.ie which is operated by Tourism.

Posted: 27 May 2013 5:18PM GMT
Oh really? that would be neat
thanks for telling me.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions