Search for content in message boards

Dignum - Nolan, Mullingar to Albany, NY

Dignum - Nolan, Mullingar to Albany, NY

Posted: 7 May 2013 7:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Dignum, Nolan, Ham, Eagan
I am looking for information on the family of Jane Nolan of Mullingar, Co. Westmeath. She married John Dignum prior to 1828 and had the following children while living in or near Mullingar.

Michael – 1828
James – 1830
Ann – 1834
John - 1835
Thomas – 1838
Patrick - 1840.

I have not been able to locate the ship manifest for this family, so they may have traveled through Canada. By 1850, the family lived in Albany, NY and Jane was deceased. John Dignum's brother James and his wife Ann (Fox) were also in Albany. They emigrated in 1834 and their five daughters were born in the city. I have not found any connection with Albany Nolan's and this family, but there could be some. I would welcome any information on the Dignum – Nolan families in Westmeath or the US.

Re: Dignum - Nolan, Mullingar to Albany, NY

Posted: 23 May 2013 3:07PM GMT
No Dignum's in the Westmeath telephone book and 45 Nolan's,
1 Egan in Dublin.

1828 is getting pretty early for Ireland.

Early shipping records are scarce on line with Ancestry having the best collection. You are correct in that they may have gone through Canada as the fare was cheaper to
Canada than the U.S.

Mullingar RC baptisms 1741-1900 with these years missing
1847, 1820 & 1822 Marriages: 1737-1900 with the years 1824-1833 missing.

Church of Ireland baptisms 1849-1899 and marriages from 1739-1899

Annette Code

www.theshipslist.com (Canada)

Re: Dignum - Nolan, Mullingar to Albany, NY

Posted: 24 May 2013 6:03PM GMT
Thank you. Obviously I would like the marriage record of John Dignum and Jane Nolan and they were likely married during the missing years of 1824 and 1828. Thank you for including the link to the Canadian ship list. I know from the Dignum sons' Declaration of Intent that they sailed from Dublin, but I don't know the port of arrival. However, I know I am fortunate to have those early baptismal records.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic