Search for content in message boards

Athey or Athy of Galway > USA

Athey or Athy of Galway > USA

Herb Bumgarner (View posts)
Posted: 29 May 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Aug 2006 1:13PM GMT
George and John Athy, sons of Francis Athy of Galway, were transported to Maryland as bond servants for seven year periods. Thomas Dent paid for the transportation of George who arrived in Maryland about 1661 and I am a direct descendant of George. The Athy family was one of the "Tribes of Galway" and descendants still live in Ireland. I would like to get in touch with one of the descendants of Francis Athy.

Re: Athey or Athy of Galway > USA

Lee Athay (View posts)
Posted: 28 Sep 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 8 Aug 2006 1:15PM GMT
You may e-mail back. We are related to Francis Athy

Re: Athey or Athy of Galway

Herb Bumgarner (View posts)
Posted: 5 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 8 Aug 2006 1:15PM GMT
Hi Lee,

Will send you a longer message by e-mail. My mother's name was Athey and I have researched the family of George, son of Francis, the emigrant to America.

Very glad to hear from you. A cousin was in Galway a few years ago to attend the reunion of the tribes of Galway. I live in Durham, Oregon, USA, a small bedroom community adjacent to Portland, the largest city in Oregon.
Herb Bumgarner

Posted: 19 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 8 Aug 2006 1:16PM GMT
Surnames: Athy, Atha
Hi Herb,

My GGGrandmother was Mary Ann Atha. Her father was Walter Atha/Athy who is a decendent of George Athy. I sent you my Genealogy Report about a month ago. Did you receive it? I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Mickey Haynes-Connor

Joe K. (View posts)
Posted: 10 Aug 2001 10:24AM GMT
Herb; I once had your e-mail address, but lost it. I believe you are the gr grandson of Austin Athey. Austin and Dudley (his brother), as you probably know, both fought and died towards the end of the Civil War. I have both of their medals and would be glad to send you a photo of them. Hope to hear from you.

Posted: 7 Aug 2006 3:12PM GMT
I am doing research on my husband's family. I was wondering if this could be the same line. Here is the information I have:

Nancy Elizabeth Atha
Parents: George Atha m.Maggie Wiseman
Siblings: French (m. Dicie Williams )
Jim (m. Lully)
Earl (m. Roddie)
Frank (m. Esther Dickens)
Lee (m. Emmie Lilly)
Mary (m. Seth Dunbar)
Amanda Jane (m. John Wiseman--had a stroke)

Mary married Seth Dunbar. . Mary's sister Nancy married Harvey Daniel. Their daughter Velma married Fred Daniels, who is my husband's grandfather. They raised 14 children & lived in southern WV until about 1960 when they moved to Ohio.

Posted: 16 Apr 2013 6:23PM GMT
I am the son of Daisy Ann Atha. She was the daughter of James L Atha and Lula Miller, the one who called Lully. Mom spoke often of the Daniels, Dunbars, Stovers, and Wisemans. Grandpa was known as Jim. I believe the Earl and Aunt Roddie may have lved down the road from Grandpa when he lived on Oak Hill. I remember going somewhere up on a mountain to visit aunt Mary. out behind her house was a creek. I remember her cooking turtle eggs on the stove. I remember mom tallking about aunt Mandy, but don't recall much else right now. Seems like grandpa said that his brothers Lee and Frank were killed in the mines.

His dad was George Lewis Atha who was born in Ohio. His wife was Margaret "Maggie" Wiseman.

Posted: 28 Jul 2013 11:39PM GMT
Surnames: Atha, Athey, Athay, Wiseman
My great grandfather was brother to George Lewis Atha, his name was William Pembrook Atha he and his wife settled in Fayette Co W.V George and William's father and mother were Lorenzo and Mary Jane Wiseman Atha Not sure how George's wife was kin to his mother. Do you know they are kin.
harrriettdavis13@hotmail.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic