Search for content in message boards

Laura Vernon Hamner / Amarillo / Claude, Texas

Laura Vernon Hamner / Amarillo / Claude, Texas

Posted: 14 Sep 2011 8:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Sep 2011 8:33PM GMT
Surnames: Hamner
There is a semi-famous author, Laura Vernon Hamner, who is interred "next to her parents in a cemetery in Claude, Texas, county seat of Armstrong County." Claude is a little east of Amarillo, Tx.

Laura was an author, radio commentator, and ranch historian. For several years, she taught school while working as postmaster at Claude, Texas, from 1913 to 1921. She then moved to Amarillo and served as the superintendent of Potter County schools from 1922 to 1938.

For thirty years, she wrote several columns for the Amarillo Globe-News, including "Talk to Teens" and "Panhandle Scrapbook." With her friend Phebe K. Warner, Hamner co-founded the association, Panhandle Pen Women, in the 1920s.

For over thirty years she lived in the Herring Hotel, Amarillo, keeping open house for literary agents, publishers, writers, and would-be writers from many parts of the world.

Associates gave her such tributes as honorary membership in the Daughters of the Republic of Texas and municipal observances of "Laura V. Hamner Week." Indeed, for a time she was known informally as "Miss Amarillo."

Laura died in 1968 at age 97. She has been memorialized in a mini opera, "Laura V," written by Gene Murray under the auspices of the Amarillo Opera. The premiere production was at the Gem Theater in Claude in June 1998.

There are 4 cemeteries in Claude but none of them on www.findagrave.com show Ms. Hamner. Does anyone know in which cemetery she is buried?

Thanks so much!

Re: Laura Vernon Hamner / Amarillo / Claude, Texas

Posted: 30 Oct 2011 8:02PM GMT
Surnames: Hamner
You know, that's an interesting question, because I found her listed on Findagrave as being buried in the Goodnight Cemetery in Armstrong County. It doesn't show her parents there. Someone has already requested a photo of her headstone. Hopefully someone will upload it soon.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSsr=81...;

Posted: 30 Oct 2011 8:04PM GMT
Well after I replied, I see that there's a good chance you are the one that added that record....

Posted: 30 Oct 2011 9:05PM GMT
I have tried everything...writing to the Panhandle Pen Writers (an organization that Laura founded), the administrators of the Texas Gravesite project, the Amarillo Globe-News. No one knows where she is buried. So, I decided that since she wrote her book "The No-Gun Man of Texas" about Charles Goodnight, there is a high chance that she might be buried in the cemetery where he is buried. So I have temporarily added her memorial page to that cemetery and requested a photo, hoping that someone will go there and either take one or let me know that her gravesite is not there. I was desperate.

Posted: 30 Oct 2011 9:39PM GMT
Surnames: HAMNER
I hope they find it! How is she related to you? She did a Light 'N Hitch about my ex husband's family and I have been trying to find out more details about her for years. I've placed it online if you would like to read it: http://www.swishertx.com/?page_id=702

It's sad that her own family history seems to have eluded us. Hopefully you'll discover a gold mine some day. I can't imagine that she didn't write anything about her own family.

Posted: 30 Oct 2011 10:01PM GMT
I am related to Hamners both thru my family tree and my husband's. We found we were distantly related to Earl Hamner, Jr (Spencer's Mountain, The Waltons, Falcon Crest, etc) so, for fun, I decided to see what other Hamners we were distantly related to. I confirmed Laura and also 2 professional baseball players: Granville "Granny" Hamner (shortstop & 2nd baseman for Philadelphia Phillies) and Ralph Conant "Bruz" Hamner (Chicago Cubs pitcher). Your ex is probably related to them, too. If you send me your email address, I will send you their genealogy and you can link your ex to them from that. My email address is sherrien59@yahoo.com.

Posted: 30 Oct 2011 10:07PM GMT
Oh, I don't think he is related to her. Laura just did a story on his family and it aired on a radio program. I suspect it also is in her book Light 'N Hitch.

Posted: 30 Oct 2011 10:16PM GMT
What I find is a shame is, in her later years, Laura was affectionately known as Miss Amarillo. They even celetbrated Laura Vernon Hamner Weeks and someone there wrote a musical about her. But, apparently, no one now is celebrating her life by visiting her gravesite. I breaks my heart a little.

Posted: 30 Oct 2011 10:25PM GMT
Yes, I agree. She did an amazing amount of work to preserve the family histories of others. Her mother's death certificate is heartbreaking as well. No one even is listed as providing information and she had dementia. Her parents were listed as "unknown."
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions