Search for content in message boards

Matilda Johnson Bailey-FB MS Choctaw

Matilda Johnson Bailey-FB MS Choctaw

Connie (View posts)
Posted: 13 Dec 2000 8:42AM GMT
Am looking for Matilda, born early 1800's in AL. Maiden name? Daughter Salina Johnson/Johnston Smith, mar. John Owen Smith (Paddlefoot) she was born 1838 in Rankin Co. MS died 1913 in Ada, OK. What was her maiden name and her first husbands name? Assuming Bailey to be her second marriage.

Re: Matilda Johnson Bailey-FB MS Choctaw

Posted: 28 Jun 2004 8:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Jan 2005 5:06PM GMT
Surnames: Bailey, Johnson, Justus, Smith
My gg grandmother was Selena Johnson who married John O. Smith and resided in Pontotoc County, OK. Their daughter, Lena L. Smith married Benjamin Bryant Justus, who are my great grandparents. I have recently located on an 1850 Mississippi census record a Susan Johnson with children: Matilda 16, Jackson 18, Salena 13 and Emiline 10. I now believe after finding this census record that Matilda is Salena's sister not her mother. I have been searching blindly for this family being there is no family bible or legal documentation available to me. Please contact me. Kathy Justus Larbi

Connie (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jul 2005 6:25PM GMT
Kathy, thank you so much. Now it makes sense.

I am the daughter of Joyce Ann Bell, daughter of Ruby Justus-Miller, daughter of Lena Smith, daughter of Salena Johnson, aparently sister of Matilda and daughter of Susan.

Do you have any records on where Matildas grave is?

Kathy Larbi (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jul 2005 8:10PM GMT
Sorry, I don't have where Matilda is buried....I've only been working on the Johnson family about a year.....it's slow going on them....not much of a paper trail....we need to find a member of the Bailey family.....the last place in the census for Matilda is 1880 Limestone County TX. Dist. 93...in 1900 I found John W. Bailey listed as widow living with their son, Jesse P. Bailey in Houston County, Grapeland, TX. About the only real documentation for the Indian blood is a page from Claude Franklin Smith's (son of George A. Smith)Bible under grandmother is written part Indian, wore blankets. Do you need a copy? Kathy

Connie (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jul 2005 8:14PM GMT
Yes, copies will be wonderful. There are several of us working on this Indian line. Maybe one of us will break through and find something. I will have more time when I retire next spring. But Jerry Bell (cousin) is working on it now.

Connie

Kathy Larbi (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jul 2005 8:41PM GMT
Okay, I can scan it....do you want me to e-mail it directly to you? I did hear from Jerry Bell yesterday and replied...sure hope we get a break on this family. One of my uncles on the Justus side wife's last name is Bailey....there is suppose to be a connection there with Matilda's Bailey.....they say that John W. Bailey and Matilda Bailey are listed in the Muskogee Indian records.....haven't gotten anyone yet to go to Muskogee and check it out. Kathy

Connie (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jul 2005 8:45PM GMT
Jerry lives in Muskogee. I'm sure he will check it out.

And yes, send to my e-mail address. Thanks

Kathy Larbi (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jul 2005 9:42PM GMT
Did you receive your copy of the Bible page? My computer isn't showing that it was sent. Please advise. Kathy

Posted: 23 Aug 2012 4:15PM GMT
Surnames: Justus, Smith, Johnson
Hi I am a descendant of this family also. Was any info ever found? I am trying my hardest to locate our indian bloodlines as well. Please write back. :)

Posted: 26 Aug 2012 3:03AM GMT
At this time no Indian bloodline has been found that I am aware of. How are you connected to this family? I'm from Justus side...g grandmother Lena L. Smith Justus, gg grandmother Selena Johnson Smith, ggg grandmother Susan Miers Johnson. Matilda Johnson Bailey is sister to Selena Johnson Smith.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions