Search for content in message boards

Possible Spanish ship landing in New Orleans in 1859 or 1960

Possible Spanish ship landing in New Orleans in 1859 or 1960

Russel MADERE (View posts)
Posted: 21 Sep 2004 5:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: COX, BENEZUE, CATCHOT
Hello all! I am trying to track down the name of a ship that landed in New Orleans about 1860. At least 3 of the crew-members or passengers were Spanish, Pablo (Paul) COX, Arnault CATCHOT and ?? BENEZUE. Apparently there was a yellow feaver or smallpox epidemic onboard. The 3 mentioned Spaniard settled in Ocean Springs, MS.

I know both Pablo COX and Anrault CATCHOT served in the Confederate Army (Co. A., 3rd Mississippi Infantry Regiment). I am unsure of the sailor Benezue.

If anyone has the name of the ship, or anyother information, please let me know.

Russel

Re: Possible Spanish ship landing in New Orleans in 1859 or 1960

Ernie Smith (View posts)
Posted: 10 Oct 2006 3:38PM GMT
Surnames: Ladnier, Spratley, Benezue, Bosarge, Baptiste, Catchot, Cox
The Benezue made their way over to Harrison Co.,MS as Rapael shows up in 1900 age 19 father from Spain.

The Benezue family has alot of the kin down around Jackson and Harrison Co.,MS

I know of a Joseph and Raphael at this point but have not found their connection yet but we have some Benezue granchildren in a h/h of Spratleys so there is a connection.

I am trying to piecce together our Ladnier/Benezue/Spratley connection.

Ernie Smith
smitherneste@bellsouth.net

Russel MADERE (View posts)
Posted: 14 Oct 2006 8:13PM GMT
Surnames: BENEZUE
Rapheal is my mother's uncle. When I was very young I took trips with my parents to Ocean Springs to see her Uncle Raff. When I got older I found out that Raff was Rapheal Benezue. His sister is my Grandmother. She married a carpenter from New Orleans/Metairie.

Unforetunately I have lost all of my records with Hurricane Katrina.

Posted: 24 Feb 2007 5:38AM GMT
I was just reading your news abt shio.. I have no answer on that but I am a Catchot I was born iN laurel ms. My dad was Albert Catchot born in Bay St Louis. I have done some research on the family, what I wanted to tell you that I am so sorry you lost all your papers in the flood. I know that must have been very hard for you. I live in Calif. but have some cousins still in Biloxi. It hurts me to see the devistation down there. take care..Edie Catchot Brown

Posted: 18 Feb 2009 3:17AM GMT
Picking up on this late in the email train. My grandfather (and namesake) was Anthony Francis Catchot. My father was Robert G. Catchot. My grandfather was born in New Orleans and then moved to Ocean Springs, MS. I now live in Ann Arbor, Michigan. (On a day like today, a return to Spain sounds real nice.) I understand the Catchot's originated from Minorca, Spain (city of Mahon). Prior to Minorca it was Malta (can be traced to the parish church records. Ray Bellande (writer and relation) has done extensive research and published his work (which confirms that Frank Coyle, Arno, Tony, and JOe Catchot arrived from Spain in 1850). You can probably google it if interested. However, you may already have this information and have moved beyond. Catchot's arriving on a ship from Spain to New Orleans is something I had not heard till now. Thanks for sharing.

Posted: 20 Nov 2012 7:53PM GMT
Edited: 20 Nov 2012 8:08PM GMT
Surnames: cassidy
Super confusing buuut:

Paul Cox married Caroline Ryan--had a daughter named Ophelia who married John Benezue Jr.

Caroline's parents were Victor Ryan who was spanish and Marie Desiree Ladner whom was french. Victor had a sister named Adele Ryan who married Arnauldo Catchot from spain. Adele and Arnauldo had daughter Eualine Cathot.

Eulaine married John Benezue SR. from spain and had a son named John Benezue Jr who as I stated earlier married Ophelia Cox....appears they all married into the same family and came over together. Very very neat.

Posted: 20 Nov 2012 8:27PM GMT
Surnames: Cassidy
Rapheal married Etta...I can't think of her maiden name. They were my dad's aunt and uncle. Rapheal had a sister named Philomene which is my dad's mom. I have heard about "Uncle" Ruff. This is what my dad called him. He made nets for shrimp boating by hand and my dad had one of them but unfortunatly it has been lost. It sat under my parent's bed for most of my childhood but my dad no longer has it. I am going to find out what happened to it.

Posted: 16 Jan 2013 2:43PM GMT
I can't help with the ship but I do have some info. John Benezue, Sr. Is my great grandfather. He and my great grandmother, Eulalie M. Catchot Benezue are buried in the Bellande Cemetery in Ocean Springs. That's how her name is spelled on her headstone. My grandfather was Joseph Benezue, who was John, Jr. Brother. His wife was Mary Elizabeth Ryan. They are also in the same Cemetery. My mother was Dolores Benezue Soley. On the 1880 census, John and Eulalie are listed, but their name is spelled BENESIEU.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic