Search for content in message boards

Holden/Strickland--> Info on wife of Thomas Holden

Holden/Strickland--> Info on wife of Thomas Holden

Posted: 18 Feb 2012 9:36AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Holden, Strickland, Flanagan
My ancestor, Thomas Holden of Laurens, SC, moved to and lived in Natchitoches Parish. He married Elizabeth Flanagan in Kentucky about 1804 and she accompanied him to Louisiana. Both died in Natchitoches. My line is from their son Thomas Holden's marriage to Elizabeth Strickland. I am trying to find information about Elizabeth Flanagan's family..parents, etc. John Holden had several sisters and at least one brother who lived in the Natchitoches and Amite County, MS area. I would appreciate any information on the family you could share.

Re: Holden/Strickland--> Info on wife of Thomas Holden

Posted: 1 Mar 2012 1:11AM GMT
Surnames: Holden
Contact my cousin, Janet Reich, at jreich8083@aol.com. She has done a lot of research on the family - part of which includes the Holdens. My father was named Thomas Holden Vallee. Hope this helps you some.
B. Vallee

Posted: 2 Mar 2012 5:26AM GMT
Edited: 2 Mar 2012 5:28AM GMT
Surnames: Carter, Holden
When I saw this post, I couldn't help but ask about the Carter connections. Margaret Ursula Holden 1st married Isaac F. Carter and her sister Julia Holden 1st married Francis Marion Carter.

Does anyone have information on their children and marriages? Are there any family bibles?

Posted: 3 Mar 2012 2:39AM GMT
I don't know anything about that part. Please contact my cousin at the email address that I have you. If anyone in our family knows, it will be either her or her mother. If you have trouble getting her to answer your email let me know.

B. Vallee

Posted: 22 May 2012 3:56AM GMT
Hi Karen, I am researching the Flanakin (Flanagan, etc) family tracing them back in time to St Helena, Amite/Wilkinson Cos from Pulaski Co, Arkansas. I believe the daughter of Hugh Flanakin Sr, Elizabeth married the son of Thomas Holden Sr from Laurens Co. I also have evidence that Hugh Flanakin's son William married a daughter of Thomas. Interestingly, it appears that another of Hugh's sons, Hugh Jr, is on the 1830 census in Natchitoches. This is all new research and I am still putting the pieces together. Would love to share info.
Dan
jt_ixtlan@fastmail.fm

Posted: 22 May 2012 3:29PM GMT
Surnames: Holden, Strickland, Flanagan
Dan, Thank you for replying. This could be the ancestor I have been searching for...Elizabeth Flanagan's family. My ancestor, John Holden (born 1805), was the eldest son of Thomas Holden and Elizabeth Flanagan (to date have found eleven children of this union). My records show she was born in Kentucky about 1785 and died in December of 1849 in Natchitoches, Louisiana, of cholera. I too had noticed a Hugh Flanagan in that area who'd been born in 1775 (wondered if this had been her brother). Email me at KarenWare@hughes.net to share information.

Posted: 23 May 2012 5:38PM GMT
Edited: 23 May 2012 5:39PM GMT
Thanks Karen. I emailed you some information. One more possible line of search: Hugh Jr is on the 1820 Natchitoches census. Then in 1830 there is a Isare Flanagan. I believe this might be Isaiah Flanagan/Flanakin who some have speculated might be the son of John Flanagan. Many of these individuals, including the Holdens, can be found on the 1805-1810 Wilkinson/Amite census. John does not have a son the right age (b abt 1805)to be Isaiah but Hugh Jr's (1810, Amite) is confusing; it has been crossed out and there are several young children in the Hugh Sr household. There is a son the right age to be Isaiah on Hugh's (Jr) Natchitoches 1820 census so maybe Isaiah is Hugh's. It is all very confusing and I would love to have feedback from any of these families here or at my email.
jt_ixtlan@fastmail.fm

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 12:33AM GMT
Surnames: Holden
I have contacted Janet. Do you know the name of the cemetery where Thomas and Elizabeth are buried?

Posted: 11 Feb 2013 11:39PM GMT
I not know the name of the cemetary.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic