Surnames: HAFENFELD, Wiedman, Lemke
Robert Hafenfeld, born 1844 in Prussia/Germany
wife Johanne, born 1848 in Saxony/Germany
Married about 1863.
They immigrated to the US in 1879 with fivechildren:
Lydia(n) Hafenfeld born about 1867
Emma Hafenfeld born about 1869
Hugo A Hafenfeld born about 1872
Richard Hafenfeld born about 1873 - Richard married Grace A Lemke (parents also from Germany)
Adolph Christian Hafenfeld born April 1879 - Adolph married Emily Caroline Wiedman

Resided in Allegheny Co, PA to start with where Robert was a millwright. By 1900 were in Detroit, MI.
Children born in the US were:
Bernard Eugene born September 1881
Geroge John born August 1885 (George married Mary Jane)
Harold Alexander born about 1888 (Harold married Fredda W)

The Hafenfeld Bros. owned/operated an electrical business in Detroit and at least 3 served in the military.

This is about all I've found out and "Hafenfeld" does not seem to be a name easy to search on any boards/records/etc. Still not a lot of Hafenfelds in the US - just the 22 in our immediated family nationwide!

I had always heard our grandfather (Adolph Christian Hafenfeld) was from Westphalen, but recently found the West Prussia listing on one of his census responses. Would appreciate ANY help, any connections.
Thanks

Re: Robert/Johanna Hafenfeld

Robert T. (View posts)
Posted: 23 Nov 2005 4:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Patty, the places you mention -- Westphalia, Saxony, West Prussia -- are spread across Germany separated by hundreds of miles, with West Prussia being part of Poland today. You won't be able to proceed until you find out exactly which city, town or village in Germany the Hafenfeld family was from.

German churches in the United States tended to keep rather detailed records. It is thus quite possible that the church (I emphasize CHURCH) marriage records of the five Hafenfeld children born in Germany would name the exact town where they were born. The marriage records on file with the county would probably indicate nothing more than simply "Germany" as place of birth. But the marriage records on file at the church (or churches) where the five weddings took place would very likely name the town.

Robert

Posted: 7 Sep 2013 9:48PM GMT
Surnames: Hafenfeld
Thanks for the information.
It's taken a few years but I'm pretty sure the location is THORN.
I thing Catholic, but I' m not sure

Posted: 7 Sep 2013 11:45PM GMT
Thorn was in the Prussian Province of West Prussia. Nowadays it is still in exactly the same place but is Torun in Poland. Hope this helps.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions