Search for content in message boards

High school girl needs helpl/Willis/Carpenter/Rogers/Van Winkle

High school girl needs helpl/Willis/Carpenter/Rogers/Van Winkle

Ashley Powell (View posts)
Posted: 15 Nov 2005 2:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi,
My name is Ashley and I am a high school junior at Madison Southern High School in Berea, and I am working on my family tree project for US History class.

I have talked to my older relatives and this is as far as I have been able to go:

My gr.gr. grandparents, JAMES CARPENTER and wife DEMI ROGERS CARPENTER.

My gr.gr. grandfather Curtis Willis, who may have lived in Jackson or Estill County

My gr. grandfather Jarvis Van Winkle was born in 1916, and we know his mother was Ellie Jackson. I do not know his father's name.

I also have gr.gr. grandparents Walter Asbury & wife Marie Hazelwood, who might have been from Jackson County, I cannot find out for certain.

If anyone can give me a hand with information on any of these ancestors of mine, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thank you,

Ashley Powell

Re: High school girl needs helpl/Willis/Carpenter/Rogers/Van Winkle

Posted: 15 Nov 2005 10:52PM GMT
Edited: 27 May 2006 2:40PM GMT
This is the information that I have on Demie Rogers, d/o John A Rogers b. Nov.1870 in Ky m. Margaret Ann Cain b. 1879.
John A. is the s/o John b.1837 and Abby Jane Powell b. 1843 in Ky.
John and Margaret's children are as follows:
Levi b. 1897 m. Angeline Cain
Eli b. 1907 m. Mary Adkins
Annie m. Delbert Cain
Demie m. James/Jim Carpenter
Mandy b. 1902 m. Richard Powell
Roxie b. Nov. 1891 ????

I have Carpenters in my family, however I will have to see where/if James/Jim fits. I hope this helps some.

Donny Perry (View posts)
Posted: 16 Nov 2005 12:54AM GMT
Surnames: Van Winkle Carpenter Rogers Alcorn Willis Cain
Hey Ashley ... I am adding onto the info that Cosetta gave you ...

John A Rogers married 7 Aug 1891 to Margaret Cain daughter of John "Buck" Cain.

John A. Rogers is the son of:

John Rogers who lived at Rock Lick, Jackson Co. KY married 25 Sep 1862 to Abby Jane Powell daughter of Cleveland and Linda Abner Powell. Abby was married 3 times. She married first John Rogers, second Jim Blue Alcorn and third William Willis on the 4 May 1908. John Rogers was known as the best person to cradle oat in the state. John had a brother, Jim, and his wife Nannie are buried in the Hade Rose Cemetery in Red Lick, KY.

This info is from page 611 of The Rogers Family by Ellen and Diane Rogers.

Now on your James Carpenter. We need more information ... I have lots of them in my database. Do you have his date of birth and date and place of death? Even approximate time periods would help. The Carpenters fathered lots of bastards and married and divorced like crazy in the 1800's. They were quite prolific and always in trouble for something ... so very interesting to research ...

And and the same thing on your Jarvis Van Winkle? What date did he die and where?

good luck,

Donny Perry

Posted: 16 Nov 2005 4:15PM GMT
Edited: 19 Nov 2006 2:07PM GMT
Hi Ashley, this is what I have found out about your families.
Jarvis VanWinle born 2 8 1916 in Jackson Co. to Ella Jackson and Lilie born 1922 in Madison Co. I can't find in the censuses of 1910 or 1920 a Vanwinkle family with
these members in either of these counties.

Ellen Jackson born Jan. 1884 and her sister Sarah born 3-1886 are with their stepfather John McIntosh born 8-1849,on the 1900 census Jackson Co. Their Mom is Mary A. born 12-1847 in Ky. John and Mary married about 1887, they are on the 1920 census Jackson Co.

Only 3 Jackson families in 1910 Jackson Co.

Mary Hazelwood had Asbury children, 1915 in Madison Co., and 1927 in Jackson Co.,Ky.
Waltes Asbury age 21 born about 1889 and Mary age 18 born about 1892, married 0 years are on the Mad. Co., Blue Lick Creek census of 1910, unable to locate them any where in 1920. Can't find Mary age 8 in 1900.

Richard Powell age 27 and Mandy J. age 18 are in 1920 census of Jackson Co., Ky.
Of the 43 families on the 1910 Powell censusus Jackson Co., I didn't find Richard age 17.

Curtis Willis age 35 and Bertha ( Alberta Rodgers/Rogers) age 28 are in Estill Co., 1920 Red Lick district.
Dewey is 8, Verna age 6 born 3-13-1913 a son,
Virginia Gracie born 11-5-1915 age 4 1/2, Winburn born 3-28-1918 age 1 1/2. they have 2 more children that are in the birth records, Augusta and Ruford after 1920.

So glad tobe of help, Edie

Posted: 17 Nov 2005 1:22AM GMT
Edited: 29 Oct 2006 2:32AM GMT
Surnames: ROGERS, POWELL, WILD, ABNER/ABNEY, ALLEN, RICHARDSON
John, in turn, was the son of George Rogers Jr. (b. 1789/d. after 1870) and Catherine "Katie" Wild (b. 1800/d. 1840-70). Abby was the daughter of Cleveland Powell (b. 1813-14/d. 1876) and Malinda Abner (b. 1815/d. unknown).

All four of the above lines go even further back. Contact me by email with your specific questions and I'll be glad to help.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic