Search for content in message boards

Oliver Cromwell Carter of Arkansas

Oliver Cromwell Carter of Arkansas

Tom Perkins (View posts)
Posted: 3 Sep 1999 8:39PM GMT
Looking for the parents of Oliver Cromwell Carter, Cora Carter, James Carter and Otto Carter. Oliver was born July 29, 1890 somewhere near the Arkansas/Missouri border. Oliver's father probably died shortly after his birth. His mother died in Aug 1897 near Jacksonport, Arkansas. It is belived that Oliver and Cora did not have the same father as James and Otto. Yet, somehow they have the same last name. Court papers show that Oliver and Cora were appointed to have Sam Jones as their gaurdian. Otto was the oldest son and said(on social security application) that his parents were George Carter and Mary Nancy(Nance?). He said he was born near West Plains, Missouri. On the other hand, Oliver thought his father's name was Joseph Carter and thought his mothers name was Mattie.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Joseph Carter

Bonnie Carter (View posts)
Posted: 13 Oct 1999 11:23AM GMT
I have a Joesph Carter born 1866 do not have a date for his death. He had 4 sister's and 1 brother. His parents were John Meridieth Carter and Nancy Webb. I hope this helps out.

Oliver Cromwell Carter and probable family links

Posted: 1 May 2001 6:35PM GMT
Edited: 14 Aug 2001 11:44PM GMT
My g-grandfater was Otto M. Carter. He was born May 22, 1879 in West Plains, MO. It is reported that his father died that same year. Otto's death cert. lists George Milton Carter and Mary Nance as his parents. Otto's child (Cora Carter Wilfong) is my paternal grandmother. She wrote references in her bible to Otto having 3 half siblings (Cora, Oliver, and James/Jim). I have copies of the 1900 Arkansas Census that show that the 2 oldest children (Otto and Cora) each took one of the younger children (Oliver and James). On Cora's death certificate, her father was listed as ? Carter and mother as Sally?. Oliver and James' death certificates neglect to list parents. My theory is that all four share a common mother and that after her death Otto (being the oldest) became a father figure to the younger three. Maybe this is why they all went by the surname Carter.
I would love to swap information with you. It sounds like we may be related.
Laura Petty.

Oliver Cromwell Carter

Tom Perkins (View posts)
Posted: 12 May 2001 8:44PM GMT
Laura,

I am sure we are related. I know that your great grandfather Otto Carter married Mary Etta Funderburk. They also had at least 6 children; Dorthy, Cora, Robert, Floyd, Otto Jr., and Opal. I know that he lived in Oklahoma. My grandmother Mildred (Carter) Smith has kept in contact with the family some over the years. If you would like to contact me, send me an email at tperkins@gateway.net and I will be delighted to share what I know with you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions